Sponsored

Cheap DIY 5$ window vent option for in-vehicle camping!

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

They definitely help if camping inside your rig. Without some windows being open the humidity level will suck. You’ll freeze more when it’s cold and sweat more when it’s hot. Good airflow helps with that. These with keep out mosquitoes as mentioned - but if you have no-see-ums in your area there’s no guarantee. You could double-up the mesh to help.
no need to change anything. They work. Be careful using any heat source for any reason near them - they’ll warp easily. I would imagine you could somehow add a bit of a coat-hanger frame around the perimeter (on the outside obviously) to give it better rigidity - but I don’t use them enough for it to matter.
Good luck with your project and have fun camping!
Thanks man! I'll buy some mosquito netting and glue an extra layer onto the gutter guard!
Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great idea!

I plan on making these this weekend with intentions to only sleep in the bronco on my coming road trip using the deep sleep overland mattress.
What are your thoughts on the Deepsleep mattress?

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What are your thoughts on the Deepsleep mattress?
It's very comfortable and easy to inflate. You will definitely need an inflator to get it on the firmer side. I'm 6'2 so it's tight but I had one of my most comfortable nights rest while camping on it. If you plan on sleeping in the bronco then you will have much less room for cargo. I know that's obvious but it is a struggle to fit everything.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can you confirm if these are bear proof or not? :unsure:

Would be good to know what level of R&D went into this setup. (y)

FWIW: we used to have these in our track cars as it greatly aided airflow in the cabin to have the rear windows open, but they still had to pass tech inspection. Having the front windows open was obnoxious with an open face helmet. Made from aluminum or carbon fiber typically though.

flow-designs-window-vents-evox-ralliart-lancer-03.jpg
Do you think there will be anything like this available for our 2-door front windows? 🤷‍♀️

The DIY in this thread is super cool, but won't work with the slanted window on the 2-door. 😞

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for making this thread! They fit absolutely perfectly. Now I just have to find some sort of bug net to put over them.

Ford Bronco Cheap DIY 5$ window vent option for in-vehicle camping! bug screen

Sponsored

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think there will be anything like this available for our 2-door front windows? 🤷‍♀️

The DIY in this thread is super cool, but won't work with the slanted window on the 2-door. 😞
Sure it will! Just use two pieces and cut the ends at an angle catty-corner. Then glue them together. The plastic is easy to work with.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for making this thread! They fit absolutely perfectly. Now I just have to find some sort of bug net to put over them.

Ford Bronco Cheap DIY 5$ window vent option for in-vehicle camping! bug screen
Use a piece of air cleaner filter from a home HVAC unit. That way when it gets dirty you can change it. It will keeps the bugs out and filter some dust as well.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks @The_Axeman for this idea. Trying it this weekend, was expecting 75* humid nights so was going to do two vents and two fans but temps changed to 55-65* nights I'll probably just need the two vents and that's it.

I changed mine a bit by taking another one, cutting it, and gluing actual window screen on it which netted me smaller holes. Not bad for $30 in stuff.

53089094804_421889e86f_4k.jpg
Untitled by Michael Halat, on Flickr
53088924141_627b862dc6_4k.jpg
53089095834_e29a346f3e_4k.jpg

By doubling the vinyl material it makes the entire piece more rigid. I might also line the edges with fender trim for extra rigidity and durability.

Here is a comparison of the screen that came on it vs the window screen from home depot.

53089313775_15fb46e396_4k.jpg

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Actual in use photos from this weekend.

Ford Bronco Cheap DIY 5$ window vent option for in-vehicle camping! 53104373656_c0ab986b69_4k

Ford Bronco Cheap DIY 5$ window vent option for in-vehicle camping! 53106865945_7c9d169e0b_4k

We only had 55* nights so I only needed one vent (I would have used 2 if an RV wasn't running their generator all night on the other side :rolleyes:) and no fans except for a little bit one night when I buried myself in my bag when I went to sleep and woke up hot.

But with 2 vents and 2 fans I think I can even deal with a humid 70* night.

Fan locations:

53104373631_4d02eee1b9_4k.jpg

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is great. Thanks for putting this together. I’ve been needing something like this. I use these on my gutters - so, have a box already. Very intuitive. Cheers.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Turns out Amerimax makes these in brown too...
Sponsored

Last edited: