Chevy vs. Ford - One Brand Attempting to Make What Customers Want

Throwback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From my perspective it seems like Ford has already won the people over, and Chevy's running around trying to catch-up.
I don't see Chevy making any smart decisions in the next few years, so it's just another reason on a long list to buy a Bronco.
(That's complacency for you.)

Let me explain. There are three sections for competition that have opened up recently for some good old-fashioned competition.

OFFROAD VEHICLES
Jeep isn't the only one in the mix now that the Bronco has returned.
Ford did extremely well not to prepare for the launch of their new off-roader, but if Chevy wants to join in, there's only one possible way now.
The Bronco will win, we all know that, and that's why we're here.

Now, the Bronco isn't exactly news to Chevy anymore, so hopefully they've got some sort of idea of what they can make.
If Chevy wants to fix their mistakes from the past 10 years (which was relying on their same old SUVs and not creating anything new) they should bring back the K5 model as a brand new offroad SUV.
This would steal some sales from both Jeep and Ford (against the Wrangler and Bronco as a direct competitor).
Technically Kia would also suffer a little bit due to the shared 'K5' name, with their Optima now being called that. That's good strategy, maybe...

The only problem is that they're late to the game.

*Ford Wins

MULTITUDES OF SUV/CROSSOVERS
Chevy's other mistake was by their marketing/design team that decided to give a Trailblazer with 3 cylinders an RS badge...
That's real cute.

Ford botched their Explorer launch, even with the RWD changeover. At least, that's what the media says about last year.
The Blazer has done well in sales, and competes against the Explorer well enough.
I do like the look of the Blazer, and it's numbers are 'competitive' for the market, except the price is a bit high.

*About Even

SMALL TRUCK
Their final mistake was when they took away the 2 DR / short-bed option from the Silverado. Not everyone wants a giant @$$ truck.
To save their "footprint" for CAFE standards was their excuse, but all they had to do was use a smaller engine.

A unibody truck to compete against the new Maverick, the Honda Ridgeline, and the new Hyundai truck-thing would be the best position.
A small, modernized truck in the same spot as their old S-10 but with a V4 and V6 option would be perfect, but they've already got the Colorado filling it.
I know there are S-10s in South America and they're basically the Colorado, so it'd be 5+ years before they get another refresh for that name.

Ford Rangers have been doing well in sales around the world, so I think they're doing pretty okay.

*Room to improve?
Sponsored

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IDK, I think Ford does plenty of lame things. I think the new Rangers looks just like the Colorado (and they both look like the Hilux.) I'll never be interested in the 2.3L paired with the 10speed auto. (I'll begrudging consider the 2.3L with the MT, and the Auto with the 2.7L)

The Mach-E is fine but just a Tesla clone and not sure why they wanted to give it a Mustang badge.

Jeep went full retard with the new Grand Wagoneer. I've also never been interested in any engine they have ever offered, until the recent turbo diesel - which I can't get in the 2 door.

In general I miss the full sized single cab short box pickup - but that's just a dried up market.

I want a new Jimny.

Brick Vanderhuge

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Custom Softail, Flatside Shovelhead
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think you could ad Muscle Cars to that list. I know very little about Camaros having owned a couple Mustangs. Chevy does have the Corvette going for them which is huge.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You know that the 3 cyl engine is also in a bronco (sport) and is the only engine available on 3 out of the 4 trims right?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
GMs problems run deeper than that. I know so many die hard GM/Chevy guys who are frustrated and disappointed in the quality and reliability of models they've purchased in the last 4-5 years. There is a general malaise in the GM community right now.

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GMs problems run deeper than that. I know so many die hard GM/Chevy guys who are frustrated and disappointed in the quality and reliability of models they've purchased in the last 4-5 years. There is a general malaise in the GM community right now.
I'm one of them. I've been primarily a fan of GM rides for decades. I have owned a handful of Mopar and Ford along the way tho. But just in general I can't stand the direction GM has headed the last few years. They've lost me as a customer and a die-hard unless they can show me some real change of heart.

OP
OP
Throwback

Throwback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IDK, I think Ford does plenty of lame things. I think the new Rangers looks just like the Colorado (and they both look like the Hilux.) I'll never be interested in the 2.3L paired with the 10speed auto. (I'll begrudging consider the 2.3L with the MT, and the Auto with the 2.7L)

The Mach-E is fine but just a Tesla clone and not sure why they wanted to give it a Mustang badge.

Jeep went full retard with the new Grand Wagoneer. I've also never been interested in any engine they have ever offered, until the recent turbo diesel - which I can't get in the 2 door.

In general I miss the full sized single cab short box pickup - but that's just a dried up market.

I want a new Jimny.
I agree, if you had maybe 20/80 vision, all of those mid-size trucks would look the exact same.
There is no possible way to miss their obvious shaping. I don't appreciate how they force you to pick one. All over the world, each mid-size truck has the same rounded hood/front and flat teardrop cab shape.

EX: Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi Triton, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Hilux, Mazda BT-50, Mercedes X-Class

We're just lucky to have more boxy truck choices with the Big Three.

As for the 'dried up market', there's still people out there who want a 2 seater that gets the job done. There is less profit to be made from this configuration, yet Ford and RAM still manufacture them.

OP
OP
Throwback

Throwback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You know that the 3 cyl engine is also in a bronco (sport) and is the only engine available on 3 out of the 4 trims right?
Yes, but RALLY SPORT, on a 3 cylinder with how many horsepower? Reminds me of the Geo Tracker.
Not to mention - they also didn't really add anything to the Blazer RS trim except the grille.
Sponsored