Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Living in the foothills of the Rampart Range, I have a pretty steep driveway. I've noticed some of my neighbors on this side of the road (the other side levels out before dipping into a drainage and then hitting a hogback) put rocks under their 4x4 tires.

Since my driveway is the steepest and my new Bronco will probably be heavier than their Jeeps and 4Runners, does anyone have any recommendations for chocks to put under the tires? I currently never park in the driveway, so I've never worried about it, but I can see leaving my Bronco out front, at least for a while. I guess I'm worried about relying solely on the emergency brake. I don't want to use just river rocks, which might slip.

I can also see wanting them for parking on steep slopes in the backcountry. Anyone have any experience with chocks?
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This chock is surprisingly nice as it's solid rubber. Very grippy and will be easy to store. Ultimately modern emergency brakes are quite stout and their failure rate is essentially zero compared to classic cars. But peace of mind is not a bad thing!

https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-rubber-wheel-chock-96479.html

I still use a 6"x6" wood block that has a 45 degree angle on one surface from the 1950's. It has a pleasing patina.

OP
OP
sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This chock is surprisingly nice as it's solid rubber. Very grippy and will be easy to store. Ultimately modern emergency brakes are quite stout and their failure rate is essentially zero compared to classic cars. But peace of mind is not a bad thing!

I still use a 6"x6" wood block that has a 45 degree angle on one surface from the 1950's. It has a pleasing patina.
And they're cheap! Yay. Thank you. Better safe than sorry...I will be getting a couple of these.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I picked a couple of these once, they work great.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used a carrier for a Sterling 10.25 for years. I’d still use it if I hadn’t lost it in a move.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whatever you get make sure you get a solid one. You'll for sure forget about them and goose the gas pedal and run them right over.

Reactions: sjp

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My kids use this chock in the driveway and seem to like it:
Ford Bronco Chock Recommendations chalk

Sponsored

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Two things. E-brakes, the pads can freeze to the rotors sometimes. Had that happen often with DRUM E-brakes. However, I *think* the Bronco the e-brake uses the disc pads not a separate drum in the rear discs like a 4Runner so that's better.

Also, with an MT if you leave it in gear and don't engage the e-brake the clutch can slip on steep inclines thereby allowing creep. With an AT the park pawl will lock the flywheel.

@sjp, sure, get a pair of chocks if it gives you peace of mind. Maybe look at E-trailer.com for RV chocks that double as leveling blocks for camping offroad.

Edit: Another thing is when offroading carrying something that makes it easier to change a tire, provides a stable platform for the jack in mud is a good thing. That leads me right back to post #2 on this thread - a section of 6x6 or similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyK

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ooh that HF one is nice, I need to get one. I've been using a brick at the boat ramp lol.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Two things. E-brakes, the pads can freeze to the rotors sometimes. Had that happen often with DRUM E-brakes. However, I *think* the Bronco the e-brake uses the disc pads not a separate drum in the rear discs like a 4Runner so that's better.

Also, with an MT if you leave it in gear and don't engage the e-brake the clutch can slip on steep inclines thereby allowing creep. With an AT the park pawl will lock the flywheel.

@sjp, sure, get a pair of chocks if it gives you peace of mind. Maybe look at E-trailer.com for RV chocks that double as leveling blocks for camping offroad.

Edit: Another thing is when offroading carrying something that makes it easier to change a tire, provides a stable platform for the jack in mud is a good thing. That leads me right back to post #2 on this thread - a section of 6x6 or similar.
Operative word, "can."

When parked on a hill, or anywhere for that matter, one is supposed to use BOTH the parking brake (it's not an ebrake anymore) AND transmission in gear.

A bit of water, cold not hot, will unfreeze things, and people should know if/when their clutch is worn.

Chances of both (or either really) of those happening are pretty slim.

Offroad? Sure. In your driveway? Might as well strap that tent to your roof that you use 3 times a year, cause you're trying too hard.

OP
OP
sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

[Clicks on D Fresh. Selects "Ignore." Smiles.]

Ah, much better!

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not cheap but at 38 bucks they will last forever they weigh alot too ,i use these same kind they use at the airport tugs ,planes everynow and then i forget to take it out and my jeep with 35s can barley get over them.
Sponsored