Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• Banned
My 86 cj 7 weighs 2707 ÷ - has 115 hp and gets along fine with 35s / 4.56 gears
Bronco 2dr weighs 4400 and has 270 hp with the 2.3 that should be plenty to do what im thinking about.
Now considering base 2.3 manual can i add on the lockers or is it part of the sas package ?
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 86 cj 7 weighs 2707 ÷ - has 115 hp and gets along fine with 35s / 4.56 gears
Bronco 2dr weighs 4400 and has 270 hp with the 2.3 that should be plenty to do what im thinking about.
Now considering base 2.3 manual can i add on the lockers or is it part of the sas package ?
Don’t forget that older vehicles had sloppy drivetrains. So, not much of that 115hp actually made it to the wheels.

BTW, nice CJ!

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A loaded 4 Door Auto Bronco will weigh close to twice the CJ weight! Crazy. But I agree, either 2.3 or 2.7 should move the Bronco just fine

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would love to see a side by side of the 2-door Bronco and a CJ7! I had a CJ7 with the Straight 6 back in the late 80’s. Fun Jeep.
We will know more when the build/price goes live, but the e-lockers may be a separate option.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My wife's Pajero has ... idk like 98 hp? 4.875 or 5.29 rear. Turbodiesel so it revs to ... 4500 maybe? IDK, never been there I think I shift at 2500 when I'm flogging it. It's fine on the highway. Drove it up to Watkins Glen (it's actually super comfy to drive because it's well insulated, IFS, and has a suspension seat ... just wish it had AC)

The 2.3 Bronco is going to feel like a Ferrari.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some on this forum have said the 2.3 would have trouble merging onto highways and wouldn't have enough power to be worth anything. I argued they were just making excuses to justify the 2.7

I'm here driving my wife's 2.0 4cyl Escape. Like half the HP and half the torque. Runs fast enough for me. I even tow with it.

My 3.0 V6 Ranger feels like the slowest truck in the world.

I won't even know what to do with the power. Ha.

I was even crunching size numbers when folks were asking if the 4D is big enough for a family. The 2D Bronco is bigger than tge Escape! I'll be swimmin in the 4D.

Last edited:

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't get it either. Apparently everything needs to do 0-60 MPH in under 5 seconds, otherwise it's going to impede you from getting on the highway. Last time I checked, virtually everything in the Bronco's class has the same power and performance numbers, and I'm not seeing them cause accidents on the highway due to insufficient power.

OP
OP
Hoofnmouth

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• Banned
Yup good call im thinking base 2.3 lockers ill do my own lift and tires ,and then i will have a manual squatch with 37s ?

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some on this forum have said the 2.3 would have trouble merging onto highways and wouldn't have enough power to be worth anything. I argued they were just making excuses to justify the 2.7

I'm here driving my wife's 2.0 4cyl Escape. Like half the HP and half the torque. Runs fast enough for me. I even tow with it.

My 3.0 V6 Ranger feels like the slowest truck in the world.

I won't even know what to do with the power. Ha.

I was even crunching size numbers when folks were asking if the 4D is big enough for a family. The 2D Bronco is bigger than tge Escape! I'll be swimmin in the 4D.
The Escape has more interior volume than the 2 door Bronco. Unless, perhaps, you are talking about 2012 and earlier. Haven’t compared those.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Escape has more interior volume than the 2 door Bronco. Unless, perhaps, you are talking about 2012 and earlier. Haven’t compared those.
I didn't fully compare numbers. Some were bigger... Some were smaller. Mines an 08. Regardless... The 2D is way bigger than I was imagining.

SCH

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco cj7 had 115 hp 1596856925338

This is my 1975 CJ5. 304 V8 had around 150 HP? Don’t judge the color, I bought it that way. A 4cyl bronco should run circles around old stuff like this though.

Hyperforming

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I test drove and wrote a pretty long review of a 2.3 Ranger yesterday (It’s in the drivetrain forum) and it’s impressive. TFL tested a crew cab 4wd like I drove at 7.4 0-60. Don’t know if anyone else recalls but back in the day the baddest trucks on the road were the Chevy 454SS and Ford Lightning. They both did it in 7.2. TFL also ran that a Ranger after a 5 star tune and it then did it in 5.4. That’s embarrassing a lot of sports cars if they don’t get a good launch. Pretty sure the Bronco will merge on the highway just fine.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When it comes to horsepower and torque I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Goocci gang

Base
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu
Your Bronco Model
Base
If the auto is the same as the 4 cyl mustang it's gonna dog unless it's in sport mode. That thing is shit to drive unless u smahs the pedal to the floor.

I hate the way 4 cyl sound. I hate my jl v6. I can't see myself in an auto idk what in gonna do. Maybe just wait
Sponsored