Sponsored

Class-action lawsuit against Ford for Getrag manual transmissions in 2011-2020 Mustangs

Does this lawsuit raise concerns for you about the BroncoŹ»s rumored Getrag manual transmission?

• Total voters

Aragonite

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Ranger 4x4, 1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just came across this article mentioning a new class-action lawsuit against Ford pertaining to Getrag manual transmissions

https://www.motor1.com/news/427931/mustang-owners-suing-ford-transmission/

"manual gearbox with codes MT82 and MT82-D4. According to the lawsuit, the two transmissions slip, jerk, engage harshly, clash gears, suffer premature wear, and eventually fail."

"According to the new lawsuit, Fordā€™s decision to switch to Chinese-made Getrag transmissions to save money caused the problems"
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just came across this article mentioning a new class-action lawsuit against Ford pertaining to Getrag manual transmissions

https://www.motor1.com/news/427931/mustang-owners-suing-ford-transmission/

"manual gearbox with codes MT82 and MT82-D4. According to the lawsuit, the two transmissions slip, jerk, engage harshly, clash gears, suffer premature wear, and eventually fail."

"According to the new lawsuit, Fordā€™s decision to switch to Chinese-made Getrag transmissions to save money caused the problems"
the full range of transmissions is a stretch. There is a TSB for the 2011-2014? (First two generations) linkages were cheap and replaced Upon request. (For a fee)
however ford re-engineered them for the current generation. And claim the problem is solved.

7 speed is likely built elsewhere as Well.

and I will be getting the 10 speed

bsb78

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not surprising really, the Mustang transmissions were never great.

Fordā€™s transmissions have never been good, but this along with the Focus/Fiesta lawsuit will make people second guess their vehicles.

That said, I canā€™t wait to get a manual Bronco in a couple years because my lust for it is stronger.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not surprising really, the Mustang transmissions were never great.

Fordā€™s transmissions have never been good, but this along with the Focus/Fiesta lawsuit will make people second guess their vehicles.

That said, I canā€™t wait to get a manual Bronco in a couple years because my lust for it is stronger.
Good news is all newer ford have a Gm/Ford transmission or are specialized transmission (gt500, ford Gt and Bronco). So you would think two companies SHOULD be able to make a good transmission. Especially one thatā€™s going in EVERYTHING

Sponsored

TorontoGuy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the MT-82 in my Mustang and when it's cold, 2nd gear is finicky. I've tried a number of synthetic fluids and some are better than others, I'm running Redline now. I actually just found out that Ford is recommending a special friction modifier specially for the MT-82 called "XL-18" so I bought some Amsoil to try out, and a bottle of the friction modifier. Apparently it's a game changer and fixes most shifting issues.

Ford Bronco Class-action lawsuit against Ford for Getrag manual transmissions in 2011-2020 Mustangs XL18_Motorcraft_MT82_K-MansParts_med

Other than occasional notchiness, I'm 100% happy with the transmission and will be ordering the manual in my Bronco.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
A guy on reddit posted the reasons that this thing is pretty meh. Donā€™t think weā€™ll need to worry with B ronco.

1) Unlike older models, the shifter is not directly connected to the transmission. The shifter is mounted to the body and has a linkage that goes forward to the trans. The trans and engine sit on VERY soft engine mounts because NVH is a bad thing for 99% of mustang buyers. When you drive the car hard, the soft mounts allow the engine/trans to rotate and move. This movement causes the shifter linkage to move slightly, and now the shifter "feels" different and the muscle memory gained from normal driving causes partial-engagements and bad shifts.

2) These bad shifts and partial engagements cause repeated damage to the synchros and gears. Being a modern transmission, the focus is on smooth shifting and easy engagement rather than outright strength. Compare the MT82 to an old T56 and you'll noticed a dramatic improvement in how "easy" the mt82 is to put into gear. How do you get smoother engagements and less noise from a transmission? 1) Increase the helical angles of the gears, which generally reduces overall strength and 2) increase the quantity of teeth on the synchros, which requires smaller teeth, again, reducing their overall strength.

3) When the MT82 first came out with the new 5.0 coyote engines, there was a video where a ford engineer essentially said: "yeah, the engine could easily rev to 8k instead of 7k. We didn't do that because it hurts long term reliability". All anyone heard from that was "it can rev to 8k". So, a bunch of tuners immediately started creating tunes that let the engine rev to 8k. This caused issues with vibration (the difference between 7k and 8k RPM is a LOT in terms of vibration) and the pressure plate/flywheel bolts would start to back out. This caused some clutch issues very early on. I believe ford used a higher torque spec or loctite on the bolts to solve this.

4) Most people are REALLY FUCKING BAD at driving manual. While many people love driving a manual trans it doesn't mean they're good at it. Especially in a high HP car. Resting the left foot on the clutch pedal, resting a hand on the shifter, constantly up/down shifting because the car sounds cool, doing burnouts, and just the occasional slip-up while driving all build up to major damage to parts of the trans. Watch videos of people racing and just slamming the shifter into gear. Yeah, it's a great shift, but it's extremely hard on the transmission to do that. It's not really a problem when you can afford to replace the trans every 2-3 years or if you don't plan on keep the car a long time. If you can barely afford the car in the first place, and then drive it like Ken Block, yeah, you're going to break shit and then be in a position where you can't afford to replace it.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Why I did research before buying my 2013 Mustang new and got the 6R80 auto trans.
You can fix many of the issues with the MT-82 but requires aftermarket parts.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the MT-82 in my Mustang and when it's cold, 2nd gear is finicky. I've tried a number of synthetic fluids and some are better than others, I'm running Redline now. I actually just found out that Ford is recommending a special friction modifier specially for the MT-82 called "XL-18" so I bought some Amsoil to try out, and a bottle of the friction modifier. Apparently it's a game changer and fixes most shifting issues.

Ford Bronco Class-action lawsuit against Ford for Getrag manual transmissions in 2011-2020 Mustangs XL18_Motorcraft_MT82_K-MansParts_med

Other than occasional notchiness, I'm 100% happy with the transmission and will be ordering the manual in my Bronco.
Wish I knew about this when I had my 2017!

Sponsored

TorontoGuy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wish I knew about this when I had my 2017!
Not that it helps you much, but I can confirm that with Amsoil DCT fluid, and the Motorcraft friction modifier, shifting is noticably improved through all gears. 2nd is still a little notchy first thing in the morning, but smooths out quickly.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not that it helps you much, but I can confirm that with Amsoil DCT fluid, and the Motorcraft friction modifier, shifting is noticably improved through all gears. 2nd is still a little notchy first thing in the morning, but smooths out quickly.
I thought I was nuts when I got it and ultimately got used to it, but I'm glad those that still own/drive them have some manner of relief.

ragingclue

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LWN ZR2, NA8, Bricks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I thought the big issues were all but squashed for '15+?

I had a ā€˜13 with the MT82. Since the '11 and '12 guys had already figured some stuff out with this, first things I did was upgrade the fluid (can't remember what now but it was one of the Amsoil offerings I think), get a bigger clutch line (band-aid/cheapo fix for crap OE clutch IIRC), and get an MGW. Only problems I ever had was issues getting into any gear if it had been sitting in -10 or below for extended periods of time, and second would sometimes not let me in when sitting in less cold temps until a little warm. Other than that, it was a peach for 66k miles and I beat on it a lot.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
... Being a modern transmission, the focus is on smooth shifting and easy engagement rather than outright strength.
This is something I've suspected, when reading about various modern manual transmission issues. Often they use exotic metals and parts along with high priced fluids, aimed at providing a very nice shifting quality. At least compared to old school heavy duty 4x4 manual transmissions such as the T18/19, SM420, SM465 etc. Those are typically near bullet proof - but for majority of new 4x4 drivers the shifting quality and lack of finesses would be unacceptable.

I feel like the modern car manufacturers are trying to have a balancing act between a manual transmission up to the task of higher power or off-road usage, while also having finess acceptable to modern buyers, but the manufacturers don't always succeed on the strength side of the equation. I would love an old school Ford T19 in a new Bronco but that would never sell, lol.

WarringEagle

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Proud owner of a 2012 Mustang GT with Manual Transmission. Never had an issue. Others have and I don't doubt it. But there were a lot of manual trannys sold and not a lot of complaints. Focus and Fiesta's with the DCT, another story altogether.
Sponsored