Sponsored

Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing?

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Come on da_jokker, please tell me you're only kidding about the mud!! Have none of you people ever truly wheeled off-road in the mud? Guess mall parking lots are pretty clean for the most part. The clean up is part of it. Clean your rig at home, don't trash a coin operated wash.

My '77 looked like this most every weekend. I stayed in the mud in South Carolina almost every other day it seemed. Park in the yard and get the thickest off then deep clean in driveway.

After exploring with the demo, I hosed it off outside then pulled it in and deep cleaned it before returning. I even pulled the flares, super easy and give great access to the wheel wells.

20211121_150414.jpg
20211022_113742.jpg
20211121_150247.jpg
20211114_094223.jpg
Iā€™m with you. I rarely take that protective coating I spent so much fun putting on, off! :cool:
Sponsored

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Casa power washer, this is the way.

672E3E5D-085A-42F2-BC36-170C72BA6789.jpeg
Love the rock. Great idea. Hell, with all the rocks at my place I could practically build my own Bronco Off-Roadeo course.

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Love the rock. Great idea. Hell, with all the rocks at my place I could practically build my own Bronco Off-Roadeo course.
LOL,

Helps get it up a little more to get under it to remove mud from underbody.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd spray it off over grass

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Spray Wax. Seriously. Prep it in advance. Its easy when a car is new but it just needs to be clean. You'll be surprised how much will fall off just going down the road. Makes getting what is left off less of a mess.

Sponsored

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since we are on the topic of washing cars, can you use a power washer to was your car without ruining your paint? Seriously without laughing at me. I have only ever used a hose.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since we are on the topic of washing cars, can you use a power washer to was your car without ruining your paint? Seriously without laughing at me. I have only ever used a hose.
As long as you use the right nozzle and don't put a steady stream in one spot for a long period of time a pressure washer is perfectly safe.

Ford Bronco Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing? 6A6E8186-36DA-4653-A7FC-ACD3BF66A319

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Take it to @bkfit 's house. :)

Also, buy a pump sprayer from hardware store and fill it with olive oil. Spray even coat of olive oil over Bronco...top, bottom, wheels. You could also cover exposed areas in parchment paper. This will create a non-stick surface so the mud has no place to take hold. I learned that when I used to go overlanding with Martha Stewart.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Check the are around where you are off roading, If its a popular spot at least around here there are coin operated washes dedicated to washing mud off, helps keep the rest of the roads clean and keeping people from flinging mud and rocks around at other cars.

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I do a three step process.

1.) Power washer at home to wash the biggest pieces of mud off. Vehicle should be mostly clean of mud and dirt at this point, but your driveway will be trashed. Fun times. Avoid the bottom of the engine area - the starter motor and alternator are here.

2.)Coin wash is next. I'll use their soapy water and high pressure to get the wheels and stuff as clean as I can. Never use the scrub brush.. Just no touch water. The mud is all caked on my driveway at this point. We are just prepping for the next phase. Skip any wax or 'ceramic' spray. We are just going to lose it during the next step.

3.)Now I use my sweet unlimited car wash pass from Cobblestone. Take it by their full service place down the road and have them wash and dry it really nicely, inside and out.

Step 2 is important, or Step 3 just doesn't go well. You'll get a dirty vehicle back.

Let me tell ya - the Samsquatch wheels are brutal to clean. The beauty ring creates nice little pockets for dirt/mud and water to get stuck. Common for beadlock wheels.
It's really close to what I think I may end up doing. Basically wash the outside quickly, just enough to pass their visual inspection, and then go through a normal car wash.

They're just so much mud under the wheel wells and under the vehicle, few more trips and I'll be able to build my own off-road course with all the dirt I brought home!

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As long as you use the right nozzle and don't put a steady stream in one spot for a long period of time a pressure washer is perfectly safe.

6A6E8186-36DA-4653-A7FC-ACD3BF66A319.jpeg
Not true and actually really bad advice for a caked vehicle.

Use a regular hose, soap and a good rag, folks. Donā€™t be lazy.

Ford Bronco Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing? 30796F7C-BB8B-4C83-AD15-95E18331D931

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not true and actually really bad advice for a caked vehicle.

Use a regular hose, soap and a good rag, folks. Donā€™t be lazy.

Ford Bronco Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing? 30796F7C-BB8B-4C83-AD15-95E18331D931
Well I've been power washing the hell out of my rig... Only way 4 in of packed in mud is coming out of my undercarriage :unsure:

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well I've been power washing the hell out of my rig... Only way 4 in of packed in mud is coming out of my undercarriage :unsure:
I wouldnā€™t be worried about harming paint in the undercarriage, but a regular hose shoots enough water to work just fine under there as well.
Sponsored