Sponsored

Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I never thought this would be so hard. But after a day of fun, and my vehicle is covered in mud, I'm finding it very difficult to find a way to clean it.

I went by my local car wash and they turned me away because of all the caked on mud.

I went to one of those do-it-yourself coin car washes and there's big signs did say No Mud washing Allowed.

I take it home and wash it, and have to spend 2 hours with a power washer and a shovel cleaning the road the next day.

How (or maybe a better question would be WHERE) In the hell am I supposed to clean my vehicle?
Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think you have your answer...home.

Some people will ignore the signs and spray their trucks at the coin washes, but that is rude and disrespectful, IMO. I took my 64 C10 to a coin wash yesterday and one bay looked like a herd of dinosaurs shit all over it.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just go to the coin wash but bring one of these and clean up after.

BED65FF4-D60B-4F10-8BCC-02C0B2B02E46.jpeg

Sponsored

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have you looked at the inside the front fenders by opening the hood? Even after multiple washes I found more mud in there.
Ford Bronco Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing? 20211113_143609

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you not able to park in your grass and wash your Bronco? In Florida we all drive on the grass because ours is tough and doesn't get killed by it. I essentially water my front yard while I wash mine. I use a pressure washer on the setting for vehicle washing in the wheel wells, especially. If you have a soft top, don't use any high pressure on it, though.

Sponsored

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Come on da_jokker, please tell me you're only kidding about the mud!! Have none of you people ever truly wheeled off-road in the mud? Guess mall parking lots are pretty clean for the most part. The clean up is part of it. Clean your rig at home, don't trash a coin operated wash.

My '77 looked like this most every weekend. I stayed in the mud in South Carolina almost every other day it seemed. Park in the yard and get the thickest off then deep clean in driveway.

After exploring with the demo, I hosed it off outside then pulled it in and deep cleaned it before returning. I even pulled the flares, super easy and give great access to the wheel wells.

Ford Bronco Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing? 20211121_150414
Ford Bronco Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing? 20211022_113742
Ford Bronco Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing? 20211121_150247
Ford Bronco Cleaning Mud (I hate it) .. how/where to clean your rig after an outing? 20211114_094223

Last edited:
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To clarify I'm not talking about how to get the mud off as much as where to do it so that the mud "run off" isn't an issue.

Pulling my vehicle up on my lawn might be a possibility, Not sure if it would sink and leave ruts... But even with that, there's so many pounds of dirt I could deposit there :)

Yeah I wish it rained more, or I had some sort of water source I could drive through. Even when I'm not purposely going in mud, I seem to collect enough to make it a problem.

I do like that pressure washer attachment thing... Might have to look into that!

I just was blown away how difficult it has become to wash and actually dirty vehicle. Who would have thought that a car wash Only allows you to wash semi clean cars!

I wonder If those truck car washes have the same rules? We're talking big rig washes.

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I do understand the car wash issue. Back in the day, some car wash's had a bay specifically for muddy vehicles, anymore, like you say, is for semi clean vehicles. I just always washed my muddy vehicles at home and hosed off the driveway, never really gave it a second thought.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do a three step process.

1.) Power washer at home to wash the biggest pieces of mud off. Vehicle should be mostly clean of mud and dirt at this point, but your driveway will be trashed. Fun times. Avoid the bottom of the engine area - the starter motor and alternator are here.

2.)Coin wash is next. I'll use their soapy water and high pressure to get the wheels and stuff as clean as I can. Never use the scrub brush.. Just no touch water. The mud is all caked on my driveway at this point. We are just prepping for the next phase. Skip any wax or 'ceramic' spray. We are just going to lose it during the next step.

3.)Now I use my sweet unlimited car wash pass from Cobblestone. Take it by their full service place down the road and have them wash and dry it really nicely, inside and out.

Step 2 is important, or Step 3 just doesn't go well. You'll get a dirty vehicle back.

Let me tell ya - the Samsquatch wheels are brutal to clean. The beauty ring creates nice little pockets for dirt/mud and water to get stuck. Common for beadlock wheels.
Sponsored