Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm considering a Rough Country Hidden Winch on my 2023 Badlands Non-SAS Lux. How much clearance will I lose?
Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How much clearance do you want to lose?

It’s not meant to be a smart ass question. Think of it more as a philosophical question.

If your answer is “I don’t want to lose any!” then this is probably not the winch mount for you.

If your answer is “I don’t know” or ”I don’t care” then go for it if you like the look.

Think of it this way - if somebody tells you “You’ll lose 6 inches of clearance“….how does that really help you? Do you have a specific obstacle in your mind that you know requires “X inches of clearance” to get over? Or do you just prefer the look of an unobtrusive winch that is tucked out of the way?

These are the questions you should be asking as these will help you focus in on YOUR priorities (which are totally different than mine).

One last thing to consider: do you often travel in deep mud or snow? If so, when you need the winch it might be a bit of a chore to access.

Things to ponder while you wait for somebody who owns one to take the tape measure and post the number of inches.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heading out to our first off-road adventure at Merus (Palo Duro Canyon) in a few weeks and there's a lot of loose stuff out there and lots of ways to slide off trails and ravines and such. It's something I think I'll need at some point and now seems the time to do it if I'm going to.

Having a winch is peace of mind, but in general from the more local stuff I've done the non-SAS is just a wee bit more likely to drag butt than most of the vehicles I might find myself with and don't want to be the one that can't clear things. I've also already had an instructor help my son in his JK keep on camber while passing a difficult patch to avoid damage with his winch - so I see the value beyond obstacle clearance.

As for the hidden winch, it's more of a space limitation in my small one car garage - and not wanting to relocate the radar, camera etc.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I'm curious - does the RC bash plate hang lower? How much would the added weight lower the frame? Perhaps the Bilstein's are adjustable?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hang on, just installed mine on a Standard Badlands MT.

The winch cradle is even with the plate under the oil pan and the winch bash plate doesn't go any lower than that. I think it sticks out a bit further at some lower points and may give a slightly less steep of an approach angle in places but it's not an easy direct comparison.

I was expecting to lose a lot and was pleasantly surprised at how little it seemed to appear different or any worse.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't feel it really lowered anything by an appreciable amount.

Ford Bronco Clearance after installing winch? IMG_20230521_094103_719

Ford Bronco Clearance after installing winch? received_622142516517667

Smittybilt X20 Gen3 12K winch w/Bluetooth fit just fine. I got that so I don't have to use a corded remote. I just flick the upfitter switch to the solenoid and the winch is energized (Bluetooth receiver switch always set to on) and I just turn on the remote I keep in the center console and it's glorious.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I'm curious - does the RC bash plate hang lower? How much would the added weight lower the frame? Perhaps the Bilstein's are adjustable?
No, your Bilstein's are not adjustable. I think the added weight will drop you 0.5"-0.75" in the front. That height can be regained various ways, but not for free.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You will lose a tad amount of approach angle because of the shape of the skid plate required for the fairlead. The only vertical clearance you’ll lose is due to the weight of the winch and plate.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess
You will lose a tad amount of approach angle because of the shape of the skid plate required for the fairlead. The only vertical clearance you’ll lose is due to the weight of the winch and plate.
I guess the plate is probably about the same weight as the stock plate I have - most winches are around 70lbs. Not a ton. Harbor Freight Badlands is just a bit over 60. I love that Smitty Built but it is a bit expensive. As little as I think I'll need it, I suspect the Badlands will be just fine from most reports. Not sure I want to operate a winch from the cabin, anyway, due to geometry and winch loads (from a safety standpoint).

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Photo shows factory plastic skid near camera, RC beyond. You don't loose a lot, and weight centered far back does not cause much sag, maybe 1/4 inch
Ford Bronco Clearance after installing winch? 20230412_122635

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oops, I've been so careful not to post fingernail or wiring photos, and now I post motor oil, foolish, foolish.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is all very helpful - thank you - I have the metal bash plates (Badlands). One reason I hate to buy RC - hate to pay for something I already have....

Another question, how comfortable is everyone that the tabs that have to be cut off (2.3L) are there strictly for assembly purposes and have no structural purpose?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is all very helpful - thank you - I have the metal bash plates (Badlands). One reason I hate to buy RC - hate to pay for something I already have....

Another question, how comfortable is everyone that the tabs that have to be cut off (2.3L) are there strictly for assembly purposes and have no structural purpose?
I feared cutting tabs, but really it was easy and relatively painless. The instructions tell you to trim the diff mount also, which I did, but discovered I wouldn't of had to, check first.

I had a plastic skid so the RC replacement was a bonus for the $300 the mount cost.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

But you don't have a metal bash plate that can even mount a winch or the fairlead. The RC is two pieces underneath; the winch cradle mount and then the fairlead skid forward of that.

I used a cordless reciprocating saw with the Torch 9" blade by Milwaukee--good blade made easy work. Just cut the lower 3 sides of each and wiggle up and down to break the top side.

Once off, it is pretty clear they serve no functional purpose.
Sponsored