Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I’m new to off roading and been out 3 times so far in my Sasquatch Bronco. The trails have been pretty mild so far but one had some off trail obstacles. I was with someone who had a Jeep Rubicon with 3.5” lift and 37s. He went over one of these obstacles and slightly bumped his side step but not too bad. I decided not to do this one because I just didn’t have as much clearance.

I do have the front bash plates as well as a transfer case skid. If I want to tackle these types of obstacles, would adding some more protection such as gas tank skid suffice and be enough? Just curious how much weight and abuse skid plates can take without bending or damaging undercarriage and frame.

The other options would be to get a lift and larger tires but I don’t really want to go that route.
Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Factory skid plates can take a ton of abuse. Even if they look rough after abuse they still do the job.

My brother had a Jeep J-10 in high school which didn’t have a single skid plate. He beat the heck out of it, including dragging the thin metal gas tank across enough rocks to cave in the bottom until it reduced fuel capacity by 3-5 gallons; he’d just drop the tank and pound it back out from the inside then go drive it more.

I had a Tacoma which only had a tiny 4”x8” tin skid plate under the transfer case. Thousands of Tacos like that have survived for decades of off road abuse just fine.

Search YouTube for Matt’s Off Road Recovery - he has many years & miles of off road experience. He is a huge advocate for minimizing weight. You’ll also notice that he has absolutely zero skid plates except minimalist rocker panel reinforcements.

I‘m not saying skid plates are bad or worthless - rather that the expense & weight aren’t worth the performance penalty incurred both on & off road.

Personally my plan is to get some rock sliders to protect delicate & expensive doors & bodywork, then call it good.

Peteduce

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 ND
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've ridden on my tank skids a couple times, whereas a jeep on lift and 35 just skip through. I highly recommend a skids. Especially if you don't want to higher and bigger than 37.

OP
OP

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the advice. I may look into some rock sliders and maybe an additional skid.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's my plan. Have no interest in lifting any higher, are going any larger tires than OEM. All kinds of things start to come into play when you change the geometry.

Instead, I'm going to put aftermarket belly pans on, a winch, and drag myself over if needed :)
Sponsored