First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a clicking noise coming from the steering column when I complete turns in normal city driving speeds. This occurs when I turn both left and right, and in both 4A and 4H modes. This is the first time I’m hearing this noise, and it’s also my first time driving in heavy-ish snow. I’m not much of a cars guy, but I’m wondering if it could be a problem with the 4WD…considering this is the first time I’ve had to engage it. Is anyone else having this problem?
Sponsored

Reactions: R11

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So as you probably no, when you're in four-wheel drive you can't really steer very sharply. Now you mentioned 4A mode, which isn't 4 wheel drive unless it needs to be, So you would have to look at your dashboard to see if it was trying to send powers to the front wheels when it's making that noise.

Normally when someone says they get clicking when they turn, it means their CV joints are bad. But if you're only getting it when in four-wheel drive, it could just be your four-wheel drive system letting you know it doesn't like but you're trying to do.

In my wrangler, when I'm in four wheel drive, and I start to turn to sharp you can fill the steering wheel want to fight back. That's where I stop.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

CVs. Did you put a lift on it?

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. It’s has the zone 4” lift, but doesn’t feel like a suspension issue. The only change is front upper control arms and 2” spacers on 17x9 wheels and 37” tires. It only does it at low speeds while turning sharp left or right.
That may be an ok look but functionally, you have maxed out your CV angles and running in 4WD has them telling you that they are not happy with the situation.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve never engaged 4wd. It only has 1700 miles on it and it has never been off-road or barely a speck of dirt on it.

They still rotate. Probably maxed out angles and turns make it worse.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve never engaged 4wd. It only has 1700 miles on it and it has never been off-road or barely a speck of dirt on it.
Without selectable hubs your CVs rotate at all times. I concur it's the lift. You might be able to do a diff drop and get by.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Geometry matters according to a mechanic I know who works Jeeps.

Beilen77

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dealer just called and confirmed that there’s no issues with the lift. What’s happening is the front wheels at very low speeds while turning have a 3-5 mph difference which is communicating with the abs module to get ready to engage. However, because it’s only while turning left or right and then immediately straightening out the wheel it actually never engages. The feeling and the noises are all coming from that module. The remedy is to recalibrate the computer for the 37” tires, which at this time they do not think they can do with their scanner. I asked them to put the Sasquatch calibration in it which is equivalent to 35” tires and they acted like they couldn’t even do that. They asked me to leave it for one more day. If they are able to recalibrate, I will update. Thank you for everyone’s input.

Reactions: R11

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They still rotate. Probably maxed out angles and turns make it worse.
These mall crawlers usually don't last long as the thot process comes up a bit shorter than the lift.

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't have a 'clicking' noise, but I am getting an alarming 'grinding' or maybe a metal 'scraping' noise when turning left, only sometimes. Seems like it might be correlated with speed, and therefore force of load or something. I recently posted pics of my Bilstein shocks looking like they have some kind of seepage, and I'm now connecting the left one looking worse than the right, with the left-turn scraping noise :unsure:

Have base Sasquatch setup, no lift, oem wheels, tires, suspension. 14k miles. Year old.

Only front end 'geometry' change would be the extra weight of my FabFours Matrix bumper (like 200 lbs).

Gonna need to get it checked out, but anybody got any ideas?

cc: @Ford Motor Company

Sponsored

Beilen77

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought I would finally update this issue. We finally used forscan and recalibrated the tire size. Then did a relearn on the TCM, ABS and PCM. All is good now. No more clicking noise and shift points and drivability is excellent. Double checked with the latest ford software to make sure all components were happy and everything passed as expected.

Last edited:

Beilen77

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you’ve increased your tire size and are having the same issues and are in the metro Atlanta area, specifically Coweta county please contact David at noble controls LLC 404-384-2520. Or [email protected]. Very knowledgeable and super nice guy and reasonably priced. He has all the software to fix your issue and maintain factory requirements for warranty.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought I would finally update this issue. We finally used forscan and recalibrated the tire size. Then did a relearn on the TCM, ABS and PCM. All is good now. No more clicking noise and shift points and drivability is excellent. Double checked with the latest ford software to make sure all components were happy and everything passed as expected.
I figured that would be the obvious solution... sad that the dealer couldn't address something so simple.

Beilen77

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unfortunately fords new software doesn’t have the ability to recalibrate the tire size from what we could tell. No doubt they could do the relearn procedures on the modules once the tire size has been changed.

Daxe44

Outer Banks
First Name
Dax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dealer just called and confirmed that there’s no issues with the lift. What’s happening is the front wheels at very low speeds while turning have a 3-5 mph difference which is communicating with the abs module to get ready to engage. However, because it’s only while turning left or right and then immediately straightening out the wheel it actually never engages. The feeling and the noises are all coming from that module. The remedy is to recalibrate the computer for the 37” tires, which at this time they do not think they can do with their scanner. I asked them to put the Sasquatch calibration in it which is equivalent to 35” tires and they acted like they couldn’t even do that. They asked me to leave it for one more day. If they are able to recalibrate, I will update. Thank you for everyone’s input.
How easy was this to do experiencing the same
Sponsored