Sponsored

Clutch Failure @ 1000mi (2.3L 7MT Black Diamond 4dr) - Anyone else?

OP
OP
82BroncoATX

82BroncoATX

Badlands
First Name
Barnett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 21 Bronco, 14 HD Dyna, 15 HD XL1200X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good luck dude. Let's hope it's a one-off. Sorry you're the one, but I hope you are the ONLY one and this problem goes extinct.

Thanks for the info.

And, underpowered eh? Ah well. Maybe that tune will help.
I drive fast, i used to drag race, I ride Harleys. I love the road. I hope Ford comes out with some kind of tune, because the first 800-3500 rpms are stupidly slow. yeah sure that turbo kicks in and youre off. but the turbo lag is insane. hell if you slam your foot to the floor straight out the gate the nose of the bronco hits the ground and barely putters on down the road until 3500. i mean the launch is ridiculous, itll leap off a line, and then just fall flat til the turbo kicks in. maybe its just me but i hate turbos and turbo lag. i went with a supercharger on my 06 cause i always wanted to make power. and hell even worse my MPG is like 13.4. thats ridiculous. the Bronco weighs too much and has terrible aerodynamics for a non boosted 4cyl, which is what you have until 3500 rpm. what makes this worse, is that while the 4 cyl weighs less than the 2.7L, they both weigh more than a coyote. which makes more power throughout the range than either. and it doesnt have to work as hard which in turn means better gas mileage with a lead foot. but thats just me....
Sponsored

OP
OP
82BroncoATX

82BroncoATX

Badlands
First Name
Barnett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a decent chance South Bend clutch can put new material on, if the plate is still good.... Id consider calling them up and seeing if they can rebuild what you have.
the plate isnt good, and if I put any aftermarket on there, itll most likely void my warranty.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP, sorry, that sucks. Not sure even if you didn’t have a clue how to drive a stick you could grenade it in 1K miles. Sounds like a bad part. If you drag raced, you know how hard it is to grenade a clutch. Ask me how I know! :unsure:
Let us know what you find out. But, I’ll still take the MT over a slush box any day.

OP
OP
82BroncoATX

82BroncoATX

Badlands
First Name
Barnett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, sorry, that sucks. Not sure even if you didn’t have a clue how to drive a stick you could grenade it in 1K miles. Sounds like a bad part. If you drag raced, you know how hard it is to grenade a clutch. Ask me how I know! :unsure:
Let us know what you find out. But, I’ll still take the MT over a slush box any day.
yeah exactly, and i feel like this clutch especially should be extra tough to do that too considering the purpose and design of this vehicle.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My BD witb 2.3/7sp seemes to have more power no that I've put acouple thousand miles on it. Not sure if Ford detunes it a bit during break in, or it's just a placebo effect.

Sponsored

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drive fast, i used to drag race, I ride Harleys. I love the road. I hope Ford comes out with some kind of tune, because the first 800-3500 rpms are stupidly slow. yeah sure that turbo kicks in and youre off. but the turbo lag is insane. hell if you slam your foot to the floor straight out the gate the nose of the bronco hits the ground and barely putters on down the road until 3500. i mean the launch is ridiculous, itll leap off a line, and then just fall flat til the turbo kicks in. maybe its just me but i hate turbos and turbo lag. i went with a supercharger on my 06 cause i always wanted to make power. and hell even worse my MPG is like 13.4. thats ridiculous. the Bronco weighs too much and has terrible aerodynamics for a non boosted 4cyl, which is what you have until 3500 rpm. what makes this worse, is that while the 4 cyl weighs less than the 2.7L, they both weigh more than a coyote. which makes more power throughout the range than either. and it doesnt have to work as hard which in turn means better gas mileage with a lead foot. but thats just me....
Glad to hear you love driving fast. I like to drive quick. I'm wondering about those aftermarket throttle controllers. I've heard that they really decrease Turbolag. Looking forward to some reviews specific to the 2.3 and the Throttle products that are just plug and play.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of people thought the MT was infallible.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the plate isnt good, and if I put any aftermarket on there, itll most likely void my warranty.
You'd think that... but I remember in one of my other cars, I had an exedy hypersingle in there. The output shadt bearing failed and they warrantied the trans. I knew what was wrong, the failure was caused by an HPDE at fontana and there was an issue with the Cobalt SS trans that would cause a failure like that. So I was prepared to pay for a whole new trans, because it happened while I was beating on it. But it was nice that it was covered. It falls under that Magnuson moss thing where you don't have to replace their parts with their parts.

OP
OP
82BroncoATX

82BroncoATX

Badlands
First Name
Barnett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So....couple things, 1, Ford has changed policy I think most likely due to the Focus fiasco. So their normally wearable items, are covered. 2, since I work at the dealer I've got our best tech on it, and he is a stickler for this kind of thing, he thinks there is no way it's operator error. He is the type of tech that is as by the book as can be. Like no line stepping nothing. Which is a shame cause that's gonna cost me time, but on the flip side he is the best we currently have so...there's that. Shouldn't have to worry about it once he's repaired.

3, yeah the power does kick in occasionally down around 2500 or in between, but usually it's a dead fish until 3500. I should note that I'm always in sport mode. Don't know what that changes with it. But it seems to me@3500 is where all the boost kicks in, like it sky rockets from about maybe 5psi to 15 then slowly climbs to 19 higher on. Not saying there isn't off-road power, but I'd equate it to driving a 80s/90s 4 banger type of acceleration. Which isn't fun for anyone. I'm not here to F*** snakes mate. I drive this thing because it how it feels to drive it, which is really fun and exhilarating. But when I have to take off from a stop sign into service road traffic that's going highway speeds, I don't want to feel like I'm about to get run over despite my foot being buried in the floor. Just not a fun thing. It just doesn't make power there.

I do want to say that I really like how the clutch feels, it's so easy. And the trans is just a dream to row. I mean it's effortless. And I feel like it just naturally wants to go. Where my 82 needed to be slammed into gear.

You are correct I do not sit on the clutch at red lights. I feel like if I didn't know what I was doing more work my vehicles would have had huge issues. Which has not been the case. I am curious to know about your throttle booster. I am not familiar with that, sounds like it might be worth the while.

Everything I'm getting from techs and elsewhere, is that no amount of user error could have created this issue. Trust me the first thought that went through my head was wtf did I do? I am also keenly aware that the 4 is not a V8, but that doesn't stop me from wanting/needing more power. (Insert Clarkson meme here)

OP
OP
82BroncoATX

82BroncoATX

Badlands
First Name
Barnett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update: Ford gave me a date...I am completely unsure whether it was when the parts would be produced or ready to ship or what. Either way it doesn't matter as we are past that date and it has been moved to the 14th of FEB.

Sponsored

Geo

Base
First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any updates? Find anything within the transmission?

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Update: Ford gave me a date...I am completely unsure whether it was when the parts would be produced or ready to ship or what. Either way it doesn't matter as we are past that date and it has been moved to the 14th of FEB.
Did you ever get repaired? Did you prior to failure or after repair hear grinding? Were they able to resolve if so?

OP
OP
82BroncoATX

82BroncoATX

Badlands
First Name
Barnett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you ever get repaired? Did you prior to failure or after repair hear grinding? Were they able to resolve if so?
Yes it took Ford 6mo to repair. It worked for a bit after that. I didnt push. Eventually sold it and I'm waiting on my next, which should be 2 mo from now. It seemed to have resolved the issue but I have no idea. I didn't even drive another how ever many miles it blew up on.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes it took Ford 6mo to repair. It worked for a bit after that. I didnt push. Eventually sold it and I'm waiting on my next, which should be 2 mo from now. It seemed to have resolved the issue but I have no idea. I didn't even drive another how ever many miles it blew up on.
Thanks. Mine didn't have any catastrophic failure like yours but I have had the notorious scraping noise issues since pretty much get go. Just recently had to leave with the dealer because the noise became more constant and louder, 2nd started randomly grinding and high reving while already fully in gear. parts are on back order since December. Just been looking for situations maybe that the noise escalated or was perminently resolved. Thanks for the response!
Sponsored