First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi everyone! First time posting but I’ve lurked a while. Does anyone know what the clutch is rated for on the MT? I ask because I haven’t been able to find how much torque and hp it’s rated for. I intend on getting a tune when one is available as long as the clutch is up for it. Thank you!
Sponsored

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found this from car and drive

Ford Bronco Clutch rating C0D6FAD1-75EE-4EDF-AA92-8E3234C50394

OP
OP
RunningJerk

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I found this from car and drive

Ford Bronco Clutch rating C0D6FAD1-75EE-4EDF-AA92-8E3234C50394
Thats the for the transmission, not the clutch, though. I’ll use my current car, a VW GTI as an example. My transmission can handle 4-500+ hp but my clutch can handle 270ish ft/lbs Of torque before it starts to slip. Before I get excited about the possibility of a tune with the MT I want to make sure it doesn’t involve pondering having to upgrade other items immediately just to handle the additional torque!

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats the for the transmission, not the clutch, though. I’ll use my current car, a VW GTI as an example. My transmission can handle 4-500+ hp but my clutch can handle 270ish ft/lbs Of torque before it starts to slip. Before I get excited about the possibility of a tune with the MT I want to make sure it doesn’t involve pondering having to upgrade other items immediately just to handle the additional torque!
Nice thing about tunes is they are reversible. Bad thing is they void that nice factory warranty we might need for the new 7 speed.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Will be hard to say. I've yet to see what clutch they are using and what else it is being used in.
I'm hoping it's up to the task. Toyota used inferior clutches for many years in the Tacoma. I had to replace mine at 55K and heard of many who replaced much earlier. You can bet it's also coming out of China, so ?‍♂

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You won't have to upgrade things immediately. If the clutch can't handle the torque and you're beating on it constantly at full torque, you'll just burn it out prematurely. Hopefully it lasts long enough for there to be aftermarket options that will handle the abuse you're giving it.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A tune isn't going to add nearly enough torque to require a new clutch. You'll blow the turbos out on boost before you blow the clutch for torque on a OEM setup.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Will be hard to say. I've yet to see what clutch they are using and what else it is being used in.
I'm hoping it's up to the task. Toyota used inferior clutches for many years in the Tacoma. I had to replace mine at 55K and heard of many who replaced much earlier. You can bet it's also coming out of China, so ?‍♂
Nissan did the same with the Xterra. The stock clutch was great if you drove it on the road and occasionally backed it into a campsite but if you actually wheeled it you got about 60k out of it.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford clutches typically have no problem with intended use and some power adders.

Fiesta ST clutches were holding up to like double output. 200 stock, making 400, on a stock clutch. But....

Maybe a Focus RS clutch is a good comparator, we share the crank, rods and pistons.....350 Crank HP stock..... Stock clutches are slipping at numbers around 425 WHEEL horsepower and similar torque.... Conservatively 450+ crank..... IMO.....The stock block becomes a concern because of cylinder pressure at numbers much higher than 400/400.....from my research.

If I were personally building a race Bronco I'd be using a 2.0 block for strength.... At that point you have it all apart and the clutch upgrade is moot concern......

OP
OP
RunningJerk

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford clutches typically have no problem with intended use and some power adders.

Fiesta ST clutches were holding up to like double output. 200 stock, making 400, on a stock clutch. But....

Maybe a Focus RS clutch is a good comparator, we share the crank, rods and pistons.....350 Crank HP stock..... Stock clutches are slipping at numbers around 425 WHEEL horsepower and similar torque.... Conservatively 450+ crank..... IMO.....The stock block becomes a concern because of cylinder pressure at numbers much higher than 400/400.....from my research.

If I were personally building a race Bronco I'd be using a 2.0 block for strength.... At that point you have it all apart and the clutch upgrade is moot concern......
Thanks! I appreciate the input. My plan isn't to go overly aggressive on a tune, but adding a few HP and some torque can sometimes have unintended outcomes, and it's nice to know that the clutch is likely to be able to handle a mild increase. I suspect that whatever tune Ford offers (you KNOW they will offer one) will be more or less the tune that SHOULD have come as standard but didn't for a variety of reasons! These small turbo engines are great because there is so much that can be done to them. I look forward to seeing what people do with the 2.3L!

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi everyone! First time posting but I’ve lurked a while. Does anyone know what the clutch is rated for on the MT? I ask because I haven’t been able to find how much torque and hp it’s rated for. I intend on getting a tune when one is available as long as the clutch is up for it. Thank you!
That's something we won't know until enough people start smoking their stock clutches. Ford would never publish their internal specifications for clutch strength. It's generally designed to last through the warranty period (even though it's technically not covered), handling stock power and typical use (not abuse). Anything outside of those parameters and it's anyone's guess.

Mustang 2.3s are seeing reduced clutch life at 400-420wtq as well. No one knows how Ford spec'd the Bronco's clutch, but if it's anything similar to the other 2.3s this may be the ceiling. The Bronco has a lot more curb weight and tire weight than a Focus or Mustang, so it would be at a higher risk of early clutch failure. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

A tune isn't going to add nearly enough torque to require a new clutch. You'll blow the turbos out on boost before you blow the clutch for torque on a OEM setup.
You can absolutely push over 400wtq on a stock turbo with some bolt-ons and a tune, and that's enough to smoke the clutch on a stock 2.3 Mustang/Focus. We'll see if the Bronco is any different.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's something we won't know until enough people start smoking their stock clutches. Ford would never publish their internal specifications for clutch strength. It's generally designed to last through the warranty period (even though it's technically not covered), handling stock power and typical use (not abuse). Anything outside of those parameters and it's anyone's guess.

Mustang 2.3s are seeing reduced clutch life at 400-420wtq as well. No one knows how Ford spec'd the Bronco's clutch, but if it's anything similar to the other 2.3s this may be the ceiling. The Bronco has a lot more curb weight and tire weight than a Focus or Mustang, so it would be at a higher risk of early clutch failure. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

You can absolutely push over 400wtq on a stock turbo with some bolt-ons and a tune, and that's enough to smoke the clutch on a stock 2.3 Mustang/Focus. We'll see if the Bronco is any different.
Yeah sure, if you're not so bright, you'd push that number on your daily driver ;) Bronco and 4WD aren't a focus or Mustang. Most tuned F150s are just breaking 400wtq, doubt the Bronco with the same tune is doing that. That said, if the trans is rated for 500+ as some have said, there is zero reason for concern.

Last edited:

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really hope they aren't reusing mustang clutches for this application. A clutch should easily last 100k in normal circumstances. Hell I still have my Tacoma that I learned to drive stick in. It's now pushing north of 170k on the original clutch and still going strong and I admit I smoked it more than a couple of times with hill start anxiety in the beginning.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nissan did the same with the Xterra. The stock clutch was great if you drove it on the road and occasionally backed it into a campsite but if you actually wheeled it you got about 60k out of it.
I have a 2004 Xterra 5sp. It has a little over 192k miles on the original clutch and I did heavy off roading with it.
Sponsored