OP
72roadster

72roadster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I know that, you know that, 72roadster knows that, but you've got a ton of non-tech savy folks that aren't going to know what to do with a cal card, and you're going to be their new tech support. ;)
Ug Tech support is the worst ;)
When auto journalists can’t even keep it consistent within the same scene.

Ford Bronco Color accuracy of paint in photos 20B47E29-403C-4D1D-8C20-7CEB9642DCAE
Ford Bronco Color accuracy of paint in photos 20B47E29-403C-4D1D-8C20-7CEB9642DCAE
Yeah I am guessing based on sky and ground, whatever magic metering the camera did, it overexposed the second photo. Then again all the new magic HDR stuff phones are doing. who knows.

But this is a great example of how IF this guy happened to have that color card, you could normalize both photos to the same exposure.

Would Area 51 look the the same in both photos after that, probably not, but i bet it wouldn't look this different.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ug Tech support is the worst ;)

Yeah I am guessing based on sky and ground, whatever magic metering the camera did, it overexposed the second photo. Then again all the new magic HDR stuff phones are doing. who knows.

But this is a great example of how IF this guy happened to have that color card, you could normalize both photos to the same exposure.

Would Area 51 look the the same in both photos after that, probably not, but i bet it wouldn't look this different.
Yep. Those are actually screen grabs from a video, but the point stands.

"We'll fix it in post" is a perfectly cromulent excuse... but like, you have to at least pretend like you know you'll need to.

I suspect the camera made some decisions on exposure and white balance and saturation... and that's where it was left.

Sponsored

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Getting white balance is tricky. Even if you know which mode to pick, the lighting can change in an instance.

Using a grey card, you take all the photos in RAW file format. Every time the lighting changes (like going indoors ), you take another pic of the grey card.

Once you post-process, you do them in batches. Super easy. If I can attend a Bronco event, I will make sure to post color-accurate photos. Taking one pic in shade and one in direct light seems to be the best way.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can color correct your photo all day on your monitor, but unless you also plan on color correcting everyone's monitor who is displaying your photo, you are only solving half the problem.
all my monitors are colored corrected, so bring it on!