Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So, been thinking if it might be worth waiting on getting a hard top. It’s not that I dislike the MIC Top, but think the color matched would make the the ol gurl pop something special. Trying to figure out pros and cons of waiting. One pro for the MIC is if I drop it when I’m taking of the top it’s not the end of the world, but if I drop the color matched I might cry. Also, if they charge an arm and a leg for the color matched I may end up wishen I’d just bought a the MIC. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
Sponsored

ATLUTDFAN

First Edition
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I am waiting on the Black Modular Top from Ford. I can then paint or wrap it easily. I believe aftermarket is several years away on a paintable hard top.

Note: If you buy a soft top it will not have the connections and controls for the wiper and sprayer.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm a late reservation holder so likely a MY22 when the OBX will have the body color painted mod top. But for the MY21 order, I'll be opting for the black painted mod top as a late availability item it should ensure my build is placed in purgatory so when I resubmit my build for MY22, I'll get what I want.

The mod top is a better overall top regardless of what color. I intend to get slider windows and would rather the mod occur to windows that were designed to be removed. Plus, I hope Clearlidz develops a replacement for the gunner's hatch to create a moonroof.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm a late reservation holder so likely a MY22 when the OBX will have the body color painted mod top. But for the MY21 order, I'll be opting for the black painted mod top as a late availability item it should ensure my build is placed in purgatory so when I resubmit my build for MY22, I'll get what I want.

The mod top is a better overall top regardless of what color. I intend to get slider windows and would rather the mod occur to windows that were designed to be removed. Plus, I hope Clearlidz develops a replacement for the gunner's hatch to create a moonroof.
The Clearlidz top is to replace the front panels, not the gunners hatch. They are planning on offering one for the Bronco.

Sponsored

Blue Bronco

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So, been thinking if it might be worth waiting on getting a hard top. It’s not that I dislike the MIC Top, but think the color matched would make the the ol gurl pop something special. Trying to figure out pros and cons of waiting. One pro for the MIC is if I drop it when I’m taking of the top it’s not the end of the world, but if I drop the color matched I might cry. Also, if they charge an arm and a leg for the color matched I may end up wishen I’d just bought a the MIC. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
I'm looking into this stuff for MIC top: https://www.bulletliner.com/

From their site: "Bullet Liner’s High Caliber Protection can be used almost anywhere and in any color to prevent scratches, scuffs"

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Clearlidz top is to replace the front panels, not the gunners hatch. They are planning on offering one for the Bronco.
I realize that their current design is to replace the driver/passenger front panels. They never had a market for a Bronco especially with the unique design of the gunner's hatch. Yes, they will offer the same driver/passenger front panel replacements. But the gunner's hatch is also a possibility if there is a demand.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm looking into this stuff for MIC top: https://www.bulletliner.com/

From their site: "Bullet Liner’s High Caliber Protection can be used almost anywhere and in any color to prevent scratches, scuffs"
I hate to burst your bubble, but that is similar to Line-X Ultra and I'm pretty sure surface prep is the same or similar. With that said, I had looked into the possibility of getting the MiC top coated with Line-X Ultra, if I wasn't happy with it's final color, and all the shops I contacted came back with a similar answer.

It's a polyacetal engineered polymer (industrial plastic) and even if they do proper surface prep with an adhesion promoter, adhesion would be questionable at best. This is from their prior experiences with grills and such.

They would basically have to gut/ remove the windows, weatherstripping, latch hardware and such so they could encapsulate all the panels getting coated. This way, there would be no tape edges or lines for it to start lifting or peeling from.

The down side would be if you actually scratch it and the scratch goes completely thru the liner. You'll be wide open for it start lifting off the panel surface.

I'm sure people are going to try it and I'll watch to see what happens, but I'm not going to risk potentially ruining the MiC top and forced to get another, since we have no clue as to when any aftermarket ones will arrive, if ever, and if they'll be any good for the possible hefty price they could command.

Blue Bronco

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I hate to burst your bubble, but that is similar to Line-X Ultra and I'm pretty sure surface prep is the same or similar. With that said, I had looked into the possibility of getting the MiC top coated with Line-X Ultra, if I wasn't happy with it's final color, and all the shops I contacted came back with a similar answer.

It's a polyacetal engineered polymer (industrial plastic) and even if they do proper surface prep with an adhesion promoter, adhesion would be questionable at best. This is from their prior experiences with grills and such.

They would basically have to gut/ remove the windows, weatherstripping, latch hardware and such so they could encapsulate all the panels getting coated. This way, there would be no tape edges or lines for it to start lifting or peeling from.

The down side would be if you actually scratch it and the scratch goes completely thru the liner. You'll be wide open for it start lifting off the panel surface.

I'm sure people are going to try it and I'll watch to see what happens, but I'm not going to risk potentially ruining the MiC top and forced to get another, since we have no clue as to when any aftermarket ones will arrive, if ever, and if they'll be any good for the possible hefty price they could command.
You have not burst my bubble, but I appreciate your concern.

Blue Bronco

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford Bronco Color Matched Top Aftermarket 93374895_2958589530921578_8220204793340100608_n(1)

This is a Bullet Lined Jeep top from their Facebook. I like this black. I don't imagine a color match will quite match paint, but this is something I will be looking into further.

Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
93374895_2958589530921578_8220204793340100608_n(1).jpg

This is a Bullet Lined Jeep top from their Facebook. I like this black. I don't imagine a color match will quite match paint, but this is something I will be looking into further.
If I'm not mistaken, the Jeep tops are a composite or fiberglass and not an industrial plastic like the Bronco's will be, so proper surface prep and adhesion will be better because it doesn't have the 'greasy' properties most plastics have. (which makes it a struggle to get any paint/top-coating to stick properly)

If they claim that it will stick to to industrial plastics, then go for it, but I would suggest looking into a back up plan in case it doesn't go well.

I'm just going to keep an eye on what people end up doing to the MiC top and what the results are, in the off chance something happens to mine where having it coated with a liner would be the be a better option than buying a new one.
(unless an aftermarket one shows up that is as good or better than factory)

Last edited:

Blue Bronco

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If I'm not mistaken, the Jeep tops are a composite or fiberglass and not an industrial plastic like the Bronco's will be, so proper surface prep and adhesion will be better because it doesn't have the 'greasy' properties most plastics have. (which makes it a struggle to get any paint/top-coating to stick properly)

If they claim that it will stick to to industrial plastics, then go for it, but I would suggest looking into a back up plan in case it doesn't go well.

I'm just going to keep an eye on what people end up doing to the MiC top and what the results are, in the off chance something happens to mine where having it coated with a liner would be the be a better option than buying a new one.
(unless an aftermarket one shows up that is as god or better than factory)
I hear you. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the carbonized gray color. I'd just like a black top that matches fender flares, bumpers, etc. Therefore, I'm exploring all options. I appreciate the heads up on potential issues.

splathead

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Acord
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just wish we had the option of buying just the soft top and bypass the MiC entirely. It's Fugly as hell. Then when hardtops become available, buy one-and paint it white if I have to. :)
Sponsored