Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
One note on the 2.3, it can be quite the dog at elevation. Once we got up high, in regular driving it wouldn't get out of the way of a snail unless it was over 2500 rpm. If the turbo wasnt spinning you didnt move at all. Not being from the mountains I had to make sure I was 1-2 gears down from where I thought I should be to just drive around, even casual driving.
Just wanted to chime in that this is entirely normal for a small displacement turbocharged engine. The solution, as you mentioned, is that RPM's need to take place as this is not an electric motor run on batteries.

There's nothing wrong with this behavior and there's nothing wrong with the motor.

The 2.7 will be the same way when starved of oxygen.

Fuel + spark + air = fire

Fuel + spark - air = no fire

Much the same way that your "average" person has no clue how to actually drive a 4wd car on track (or public roads), you must alter your driving for the type/style/capabilities/attributes of the vehicle, not the other way around. It's a machine.
Sponsored

Neigh.hey

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with your assessment of the 7MT and 2.3. I was able to test drive a 4-door Badlands 7MT 2.3 at a local dealership about 2 weeks ago (It was annoying as they had a sales person that rode with however and basically only had about 15 minutes of ride time). I was in town in Charleston, SC so at sea level but traffic areas with not enough time to get many good runs on the highway. I did feel right off the bat that it was a little light on pickup on low rpms; obviously with 2.3 and turbo it will need some rpms to get up in to power band. After a few minutes I could tell it was much happier 3k-4k for normal driving. I want a manual trans and will likely just accept it is what it is but...

I REALLY, REALLY HATE THE TACHOMETER, or lack there of. It's soo bad. This engine needs to be in its turbo spooling power band area and that garbage tach is just not enough info for me to understand what the engine is wanting or where it is at. If you are listening to music or have kids in the car talking and noise etc...I won't be able to hear the engine, I want to see a legit tach where I can see the sweeping up of RPM's not in 1/2 of a thousand digital chunks or a ridiculous 2 digit number, gross. This needs to be revised for 2022 seriously, how hard can that be Ford? At least make a legit tach as an option on the display???

I really only want to go with the 7MT, period. I want a manual and the options for getting a manual nowadays is so limited I feel like I need to get it while they are still made, especially with the bronco. I was forced to keep my Tundra because of my work and passed on my 2021 reservation but now I'm ready to move forward....please fix the tach and/or give 2.7. Guess I could always just beat on the 2.3 and wait until someone figures out a 5.0 coyote swap lol. Your know someone will find a way. mmm...mmm...good, V8 and manual trans.

LOSTXGOLD

Base
First Name
TEO
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lostgoldx.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAV4, past: 2013 BMW 328i, 370Z, XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks like a damn good time! Can’t wait to do the same!

Another great way to get the kids off of YouTube, Tik Toc, or whatever social media is keeping the kids occupied these days.

Enjoy!

devildog0331

Badlands
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M3 competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Turbocharged engines actually help reduce power losses at elevation. Naturally aspirated engines suffer due to the less dense air, a turbocharger will spin faster in thinner air compressing more air and avoiding losses.

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice to see the reviews!! Keeps my enthusiasm up while I wait....

Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Took a long weekend and headed out to Colorado to do some relaxing. Got to see alot of on-road sites and was able to spend a little time off road.

Before the Bronco my extent of off roading was mudding in some fields during high school. One of the main reasons I got the Bronco was to be able to explore more and enjoy top off riding with my girls.

We ran some short trails in the four mile area by Buena Vista. That was a nice simple introduction. Then on our way out of the mountains we stopped in Montezuma and ran up Webster Pass. Nothing was too extreme and outside of the steep angle could have probably been done in 2wd. The switchbacks going up to the pass were fun and a good Introduction to basic ledge roads. I have the 7MT and it drove so easy. Kept it in C, 1st or 2nd most of the time depending on 4H vs 4L. Tons of torque and drove easily through everything. The hill start assist is also very nice. On the way down I could not make one of the switchbacks in one turn and needed to stop and back up. Was nice to feel no roll of the bronco until the clutch was ~50% engaged.

Overall it was a ton of fun and just makes me want to go out more!

One note on the 2.3, it can be quite the dog at elevation. Once we got up high, in regular driving it wouldn't get out of the way of a snail unless it was over 2500 rpm. If the turbo wasnt spinning you didnt move at all. Not being from the mountains I had to make sure I was 1-2 gears down from where I thought I should be to just drive around, even casual driving.

20210917_145057.jpg

20210917_145929.jpg

20210917_151636.jpg

20210917_151910.jpg

20210917_154019.jpg

20210917_154846.jpg

20210917_154935.jpg
What tires are you running? I zoomed in and can't tell if those are stock or not.

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@BaseBD what are the tires you’ve installed?
@International_George @dingle87 The tires are Kenda Klever RT's. 35x10.5R17. Allowed me to keep the factory black steelies from a width standpoint. haven't noticed any rubbing yet, had them on for ~3,000 miles, but minimal off roading. Plan on adding longer coilovers to get a little lift to ensure I don't have any rubbing.

Last edited:

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I REALLY, REALLY HATE THE TACHOMETER, or lack there of. It's soo bad. This engine needs to be in its turbo spooling power band area and that garbage tach is just not enough info for me to understand what the engine is wanting or where it is at. If you are listening to music or have kids in the car talking and noise etc...I won't be able to hear the engine, I want to see a legit tach where I can see the sweeping up of RPM's not in 1/2 of a thousand digital chunks or a ridiculous 2 digit number, gross. This needs to be revised for 2022 seriously, how hard can that be Ford? At least make a legit tach as an option on the display???
The Tach has been a point of contention in a lot of reviews. It makes no sense why they didn’t go full digital or have it split in the middle. Something like Hyundai’s slightly older setup (‘19 Santa Fe) would be great where there’s a decent size screen flanked by 2 manual gauges. Going to miss it on my Fiesta.

9C7A82AC-5D71-4504-B58F-14E9C8F593DB.jpeg

Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with your assessment of the 7MT and 2.3. I was able to test drive a 4-door Badlands 7MT 2.3 at a local dealership about 2 weeks ago (It was annoying as they had a sales person that rode with however and basically only had about 15 minutes of ride time). I was in town in Charleston, SC so at sea level but traffic areas with not enough time to get many good runs on the highway. I did feel right off the bat that it was a little light on pickup on low rpms; obviously with 2.3 and turbo it will need some rpms to get up in to power band. After a few minutes I could tell it was much happier 3k-4k for normal driving. I want a manual trans and will likely just accept it is what it is but...

I really only want to go with the 7MT, period. I want a manual and the options for getting a manual nowadays is so limited I feel like I need to get it while they are still made, especially with the bronco. I was forced to keep my Tundra because of my work and passed on my 2021 reservation but now I'm ready to move forward....please fix the tach and/or give 2.7. Guess I could always just beat on the 2.3 and wait until someone figures out a 5.0 coyote swap lol. Your know someone will find a way. mmm...mmm...good, V8 and manual trans.
If Ford wants to prove to customers that the ability to push OTA updates is a valuable feature, all they would have to do is push an update that enables a good tach display option on these Broncos.

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@International_George @dingle87 The tires are Kenda Klever RT's. 35x10.5R17. Allowed me to keep the factory black steelies from a width standpoint. haven't noticed any rubbing yet, had them on for ~3,000 miles, but minimal off roading. Plan on adding longer coilovers to get a little lift to ensure I don't have any rubbing.
Damn! 35s with no lift or rubbing?! I think I’ll be looking into larger tires sooner than I anticipated…

Over it

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What did you have to do to fit 35’s? Remove crash bars? Leveling kit?

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
100% agree with this. When I drove the WT at the LV Off-Roadeo, I struggled withe the tach. The 2-digit number is small and it seemed like I was always fighting the steering wheel spoke to see the display. That tach is a dumb feature of an otherwise spectacular gauge package. I was hoping there would be a setting that allowed for a normal tach, but didn’t have time to play with the instrument settings.

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Over it so far I just removed the crash bars. Will do a lift when the right one is available.
Sponsored