jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜16 Explorer, ā€˜13 F150, ā€˜99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Turbocharged engines actually help reduce power losses at elevation. Naturally aspirated engines suffer due to the less dense air, a turbocharger will spin faster in thinner air compressing more air and avoiding losses.
You are correct.! Thumbing through a John Deere skidder/dozer/etc. service manual from the ā€˜70ā€™s you will not find the word "turbocharger"..! John Deere correctly referred to this device as the "altitude compensator".!
Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Tach has been a point of contention in a lot of reviews. It makes no sense why they didnā€™t go full digital or have it split in the middle. Something like Hyundaiā€™s slightly older setup (ā€˜19 Santa Fe) would be great where thereā€™s a decent size screen flanked by 2 manual gauges. Going to miss it on my Fiesta.

9C7A82AC-5D71-4504-B58F-14E9C8F593DB.jpeg
Iā€™m keeping my Fiesta ST. Wifeā€™s Fusion Sport however....

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Explorer, 2008 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@ric42pars it ended up being alot of time in the car, but the Bronco was surprisingly comfortable. It did get loud with the soft top being on the interstate for 10 hours. This was our first long trip with a soft top to try it out. I will probably throw it on the car trailer next time or if the kids come with.

The tires have been good so far. Road noise has been minimal and the handling has been good. I have no complaints at this point on performance etc.

The biggest hold up has been finding the right pressure to run the tires. I am down to 26 psi cold, which feels low when looking at the tires weight rating at 65psi (~3200 lbs). Gives me about 1280 lbs a tire. Or 5100 lbs total. Which the Bronco with people in it is closer to 5300. So probably need to add a little air. The strange part is I don't seem to have an even contact patch on the road still. The outside 3/4" on both sides of the tire doesn't appear to be touching the road. I haven't done a chalk test persay but I drive a variety of roads and check my tread often. You can see what part of the tire is contacting the road what really isn't. I am wondering if maybe the tire is designed in a way to minimize contact of the outside edge.
Thanks for the input @BaseBD. I was considering these tires at one time thatā€™s why I asked. When I picked up my BD, Iā€™m like this is plenty big enough for me. I was just wondering how those taller tires handled. The E rating may be a bit stiff. I actually found the stock 32 Generals to be pretty stiff for quite awhile. They also didnā€™t touch on the outside at full factory pressures. I lowered the pressures for the break-in period and they came in. Took about 600 miles or so. I had them rebalanced at 1000 miles and they ride great now. 26 psi seems low but after they wear in maybe they will be better. The best set of tires I ever had were some Michelinā€™s but boy they were difficult to get a handle on for the first 1500 miles or so. Then they were great. Tires are finicky. Hope they work out. Recommend the chalk test.

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@ric42pars I agree on the stock Grabbers. After I picked it up I decided I wasn't going to change tires until they wore out but then...
My dad saw it and said " I am going to put tires like that on my truck before winter" since that is the same size tire he needed for his F150 I took it as a sign to upgrade mine!

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey that looks just like mine except I have the stock tires still. Here in NC, have no problem with power. Put it in Sport mode and it's has more power than I know what to do with. I also have the 2.3L, manual. Next to my 97 M3, this is the most fun vehicle I've ever driven. After a little break in period and the tires were broken in, it drives great. 6 speed is a joy to drive. No off roading yet though. How do those tires handle on road?

PS: Headed out to Colorado for a long weekend from Wisconsin. That's a long ride for a long weekend! Looks like it was a fun one.

IMG_3840.jpg
Agree 100% after breakin Iā€™ve been playing with it bd 4dr man stock wheels this thing will rip when u get in power band feels really nimble for a 5k vehicle tracks great point and go

Bmerrion1391

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@ric42pars it ended up being alot of time in the car, but the Bronco was surprisingly comfortable. It did get loud with the soft top being on the interstate for 10 hours. This was our first long trip with a soft top to try it out. I will probably throw it on the car trailer next time or if the kids come with.

The tires have been good so far. Road noise has been minimal and the handling has been good. I have no complaints at this point on performance etc.

The biggest hold up has been finding the right pressure to run the tires. I am down to 26 psi cold, which feels low when looking at the tires weight rating at 65psi (~3200 lbs). Gives me about 1280 lbs a tire. Or 5100 lbs total. Which the Bronco with people in it is closer to 5300. So probably need to add a little air. The strange part is I don't seem to have an even contact patch on the road still. The outside 3/4" on both sides of the tire doesn't appear to be touching the road. I haven't done a chalk test persay but I drive a variety of roads and check my tread often. You can see what part of the tire is contacting the road what really isn't. I am wondering if maybe the tire is designed in a way to minimize contact of the outside edge.
So through all this, you still noticed no rubbing with the 35x10.5 tires?
I am hoping to swap tires when I get my bronco BD (hopefully early January), then do a little suspension work maybe a year later. Iā€™m basically thinking of the exact same setup you have now. But if there is really no rub at full or close to full flex and lock, maybe Iā€™ll forgo the liftā€¦

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Bmerrion1391 I have not been able to test full flex and lock yet. But I have done some traversing of a ditch that is ~16 degrees on one side and 7 on the other. Come together fairly close. Have do that at many different angles to the point I am teetering on 2 or 3 wheels and I have not noticed/heard any rub so far.

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f-150 xlt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the input @BaseBD. I was considering these tires at one time thatā€™s why I asked. When I picked up my BD, Iā€™m like this is plenty big enough for me. I was just wondering how those taller tires handled. The E rating may be a bit stiff. I actually found the stock 32 Generals to be pretty stiff for quite awhile. They also didnā€™t touch on the outside at full factory pressures. I lowered the pressures for the break-in period and they came in. Took about 600 miles or so. I had them rebalanced at 1000 miles and they ride great now. 26 psi seems low but after they wear in maybe they will be better. The best set of tires I ever had were some Michelinā€™s but boy they were difficult to get a handle on for the first 1500 miles or so. Then they were great. Tires are finicky. Hope they work out. Recommend the chalk test.
what are you running your tires at now? these grabbers feel stiff at 38psi. Just picked mine up thursday.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Read through your entire post after settling these Kenda tires myself. Looks like youā€™re enjoying your ride.

Iā€™m curious on how they hold up in the snow/sand. I really like the narrow look and plan on installing Sasquatch Bilsteins on my Manual BD.

Hoping that extra 1.1ā€ and benefits of the Bilstein will maintain the original ride quality - if not make it even better. I was a bit concerned about the gear ratio - but, it seems like it was unnoticeable for you on the trails?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Read through your entire post after settling these Kenda tires myself. Looks like youā€™re enjoying your ride.

Iā€™m curious on how they hold up in the snow/sand. I really like the narrow look and plan on installing Sasquatch Bilsteins on my Manual BD.

Hoping that extra 1.1ā€ and benefits of the Bilstein will maintain the original ride quality - if not make it even better. I was a bit concerned about the gear ratio - but, it seems like it was unnoticeable for you on the trails?
@redone17 I didnt see any issues on the trails. The crawl gear is so low, even with the 35's you really creep in 4L if you need to. When I went down the hill in 4L with the Crawl gear, I did not need to use the brakes at all.