First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently took delivery of my car (only a 17 month long wait!) and I have to say, the windshield is utter garbage. Not one, but two cracks in the 3 weeks I've had the car. One crack I'd say is bad luck. Two is telling me this is a defective product.

The dealer denied my warranty claim. If I was reenacting scenes from Mad Max I'd understand, but this is damage sustained by basic, everyday driving. In the past, I heard/saw the rock coming when I've cracked my windshields. I have absolutely no clue what hit the car in both these cases. Also, the strike zone is apparently just under the windshield wiper in both cases.

My previous cars include a Tacoma and a Trooper. The Trooper had the same basic aerodynamics (brick on wheels). The Trooper even has a much bigger windshield- never had issues with it though.

I'm getting the glass replaced- $875 but will this be the first in a long line of crappy windshields?
Sponsored

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford windshields have always been notoriously soft if it doesn't chip or crack you will have pitting all over like you took a sand blaster to it after 10k miles

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
5 months and no cracks...

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got two cracks from rocks and one basically the entire base of the windshield from....turning on the defroster in 25 degree weather. Just got mine replaced this week

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the larger issue is that the Bronco has unfortunately brought an increase in STUPID to the fold! lol
Yes, Ford special orders easily breakable glazing!
You guys are too much… 🐴🐴🥌🤟

Sponsored

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the larger issue is that the Bronco has unfortunately brought an increase in STUPID to the fold! lol
Yes, Ford special orders easily breakable glazing!
You guys are too much… 🐴🐴🥌🤟
It's likely less an issue of the material of the windshield itself and more an issue of the angle (maybe lack thereof) of the windshield, it's a lot more straight up and down than most cars on the road (unsurprisingly similar to Jeep windshields) so anything that hits it is probably a lot more likely to damage the windshield than just deflect off of it because it's hitting more directly. There's a reason that Jeep offers gorilla glass on the Wrangler, just the nature of the beast.

I'm looking for solutions on my end and I've already got the hood deflector (sadly I haven't put it on yet because you're not supposed to drive it for 24 hours after putting it on and I find myself unwilling to do that) and I'm looking into the exoshield system to see if that's a viable option.

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree that the windshield is more at risk due to its angle/rake than other vehicles. I don’t believe warranties cover windshields or any other “consumable” item.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's likely less an issue of the material of the windshield itself and more an issue of the angle (maybe lack thereof) of the windshield, it's a lot more straight up and down than most cars on the road (unsurprisingly similar to Jeep windshields) so anything that hits it is probably a lot more likely to damage the windshield than just deflect off of it because it's hitting more directly. There's a reason that Jeep offers gorilla glass on the Wrangler, just the nature of the beast.

I'm looking for solutions on my end and I've already got the hood deflector (sadly I haven't put it on yet because you're not supposed to drive it for 24 hours after putting it on and I find myself unwilling to do that) and I'm looking into the exoshield system to see if that's a viable option.
I've got the deflector. Getting plenty of bug strikes still. No rocks yet, knock on wood. I think the deflector is helping at least a little because all the big strikes are high.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

PPF on the windshield, and get extra coverage from your insurance if it's offered. And the deflector

SCADABronx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC100, Gen2 Pilot, MX P100D, Gen1 MDX, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been driving for almost 40 years and have replaced maybe three windshields. The fact that my Bronco windscreen cracked in under 1,000 miles is an issue. Though I'm not necessarily blaming Ford as much as physics.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check with your insurance company. You may have coverage for that.

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not much you can do, but get a windshield policy on it with a low deductible, depending on your states auto insurance laws. Some states force insurers to better protect the consumer so it all depends on that.

In the case of my Jeep, a big lift and 37s solve the same issue. Get the windshield up higher and those rocks meet their demise on the front bumper, winch, and grill. Have plenty of impacts to prove it.

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got the deflector. Getting plenty of bug strikes still. No rocks yet, knock on wood. I think the deflector is helping at least a little because all the big strikes are high.
That's good to hear, I'm not crazy about the looks of it, but if it saves me from one replaced windshield I'm happy.

OP
OP

Skooty

Badlands
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been driving for almost 40 years and have replaced maybe three windshields. The fact that my Bronco windscreen cracked in under 1,000 miles is an issue. Though I'm not necessarily blaming Ford as much as physics.

That's why I brought up previously owning the trooper-( 1990 m/y). It had a very upright windshield. The physics aren't new to me. If Isuzu was able to source sturdier glass 30 years ago, Ford should be able to now.

Broncobren

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WT High Pkg MIC Mod Bumper
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford windshields have always been notoriously soft if it doesn't chip or crack you will have pitting all over like you took a sand blaster to it after 10k miles
I’ve owned two mustangs three F150’s and an expedition and never had a chipped or cracked windshield. Nor did I have any noticeable pitting. I could argue Ford windshields have always been notoriously strong.
Sponsored