Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Got my Defender last week, lifted it in my garage this weekend and slapped on some bigger tires. Love how it's coming a long, looks great on the road and I've been stopped multiple times by onlookers etc.

What a terrific vehicle. I'm surprised how big it feels both while inside the cabin, and while walking around it. Quite a bit taller and wider than a Bronco, with a lot more room on the inside. It's significantly larger than a Jeep or a 4Runner as well - it has presence closer to a full size pickup truck actually which is both good and bad. Visibility can be awkward in spots, and it's a pita to get into. It has a 3rd row, that is basically pointless and only functions to say "3rd row" in the marketing materials.

That said, it's not without it's warts. I have the dreaded A-Pillar sound, driving at highway speeds it sounds like a bunch of sand hitting the windshield, and will require the trim on the A pillar to be repaired or replaced. Also, at very low speeds (sub 30MPH) there is a distinct rattle on the driver door/B Pillar area. Sounds like it needs to be tightened or something there, perhaps inside the plastic shroud where the seatbelt mechanism rests.

Love the interior, and really like the virtual dash and materials. Almost everything is soft touch and very compliant. The Clear Sight rear view camera in the mirror is interesting, but it's almost too realistic and not sure how much it's needed. I got the advanced off road package, and am putting that through it's paces out at the black mesa this weekend. The surround cameras, particularly of the tires in off-road camera view are particularly impressive. The entire thing looks and feels very premium, and the interior is one of the best I've sat in. Very airy, bright and classy looking. That's why the rattles are so obnoxious, because every thing else has been very well thought out and designed. Heading out to the mesa's this weekend with a new lifted Gladiator, a few Wranglers and a Raptor and I suspect this truck will perform well, but will report any issues or complaints.

Overall, very impressed but the build quality is light years off of Porsche, BMW in terms of fit/finish. The rattling is especially annoying given the location of the rattles and the cost of the vehicle ($75k). Not enough to make me want something else, mind you, as I think this is my favorite looking vehicle I've owned, but something to consider if you're looking for one. That coupled with JLR's "legendary" reliability should give some food for thought.

Below pics are factory with the "normal" tires, and then the after with the newer tires and small Johnson Rod lift.

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg
I am not a fan of black nor the 4 door. BUT I am going to tell you how much I like that one. Looks great and best of luck with it.
Sponsored

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Imho, the Defender sure is a nice vehicle to get while waiting for the Bronco. Great thread. Enjoyed every page.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well that's a long read! As a LR owner I found the comparisons and opinions interesting and what the heck, I'll share mine.
My first Land Rover was a '69 Series II 88 that was great and fun, totally unsuited for Alaska winters and even more unsuited for parts availability in pre internet Alaska....waitied 30 years for the next one, '08 LR3 HSE which was an amazing vehicle, on and off road, and managed to spend very little time in the garage. I do my own wrenching, if one has to pay someone to turn the screws LR ownership is going to be ruinous. The LR3 may be the pinnacle of LR reliability. It's honestly not bad for a highly complex vehicle with 160K on it.

So LR tells us that the Defender is going to be all new, and I get all excited, since we haven't had a Defender on our shores since 1995. And then they reveal it and I'm one of those who said "ummmmm" I did take a 110 for a test drive and it did drive very nicely which it should have for $78K. It's a technological tour de force and capable but the top doesn't come off, and the best it can do is the "skip top" as the wifely one calls the big canvas top. So not excited that much about the Defender and thinking evil thoughts regarding the metal top and a sawzall and the 01 Disco in the garage getting the head gaskets done....and then Ford brings up the Bronco and I'm thinking Ford built the Defender Land Rover should have.

OK, so we did test drive a 4 door Bronco. It's not the same vehicle as a new Defender but very much the same as the old Defender. I'm used to the EAS on my LR3 and did find the Bronco ride on the road to be less comfortable, not deal breaker territory, but the Bronco isn't trying to be a luxobarge. Other than that I can't complain, and we will be ordering a 2 door to complement the wifely one's Bronco Sport OBX. Until then the LR3 will have to do, and it's good enough for now.

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just had this pop up in my news feed today. It's a short article with a link to a 19 minute video review of a Wildtrack vs Defender. There was one spot where the Defender struggled in the mud, and it was pretty clear that the stock tires they provided are garbage on mud (they look like slicks in the video), which has been a issue I've seen elsewhere. Hopefully the tire shortage eases because I'm planning on replacing my factory tires next year. 😁

All things considered I'd take the Bronco for more serious off-roading, though aside from the tires I'm not concerned about abilities to do what I want with the Defender, and I think it otherwise did well.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...mud-wrestling-one-breaks-the-ice-176967.html#

Edit to add: Looks like there is some product review in the earlier part of the video. I didn't watch every second - mostly just the highlights mentioned in the written article, so the driving part of the video is probably closer to 10 minutes.

Sponsored

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My bud has the new Defender.

Is there a forum like this for the latest Defender?

Most seem skewed to the older ones obviously with it's legendary history.

GravyTrain

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4, 2020 110
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Imho, the Defender sure is a nice vehicle to get while waiting for the Bronco. Great thread. Enjoyed every page.
So, I had "99"'d my Bronco order but the dealer forgot to do it (and it's fine - I'm totally OK with it), so this morning I awoke to a "Your vehicle has been built" email. 18 months after reserving a 4-door Badlands, lux, leather, MIC, 2.7, Area 51, and it's finished and slated to arrive in 7-14 days at the dealership. The picture looks great. I'm so familiar with Ford vehicles, and I still love the stock Badlands wheels and tires. I dreamed of road trips in that thing for so long - wife, dogs, and me, all heading across the country on adventures...

Then I got into the Defender to run some errands. The journey to the Defender was shorter (3 months delivery from order, and I test-drove maybe 2 months before ordering), but it just feels right for me. I smile every time I see it and drive it, so I'm sticking with it, and planning out the road trip for this summer - still with the wife and dogs. In a few years I can see coming back to the Bronco, but not right now. For Christmas I received a National Parks Pass, so I'll throw some 18's on the Defender, and then I have some places to go. 😁
Sponsored