Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MKZ 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would love to know the cost of the factory 10 year warranty would be.
I wouldn't know and would never buy an extended warranty of any kind for any make or model. That is one of the biggest scams running at dealerships as far as I'm concerned. I trade my car in every 4-5 years anyway if not sooner. That's just how I roll.

Sponsored

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
I honestly don’t understand how people cross-shop the Bronco and the Defender.

Totally different design briefs, target markets, dealer availability, and associated expense.

The Bronco is going to be waaaay closer to the Jeep than the Defender when it comes to ownership experience.
If Ford keeps increasing the price, it may make sense to cross shop a defender soon. A base defender has some pretty cool gadgets. It's 55-58k because almost all of them have at least something. One I looked at Saturday had a cold weather package and moon roof (or sun roof depending on time of day) and something else and was 58k. A base Bronco 4 door is 37k. 21k difference but not far off 40k. And I know LR is having trouble selling defenders (my dealer has had 54 available for the past month and a half) so a deal is more likely. 40k base ford or 53k base LR defender? For 13k, availability, and color options (the blue with white top on defender is dope as f***) its tempting.

But end of the day, I don't want to spend 40k out the door for anything close to a base offroad vehicle. I was thinking like 30-35k and use some funds to add my first accessories.

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wouldn't know and would never buy an extended warranty of any kind for any make or model. That is one of the biggest scams running at dealerships as far as I'm concerned. I trade my car in every 4-5 years anyway if not sooner. That's just how I roll.
Yeah if you swap cars before the warranty runs out why would you get an extended... They aren't scams tho, well they are just like insurance is a scam... I had extended on a ML500 that paid out around $25k worth of repairs. I wouldn't touch a third party warranty, but as long as you get factory extended, and plan on keeping the car 10 years, it can well be worth it. That said I won't get mine from day 1, probably put a reminder in the phone to re-consider it 1 year in.

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks! Yup it's a 110, here is what I ordered : https://build.landrover/DFECB7F4 . It was a tough choice between those rims and the rear locker, they don't let you order both for some stupid reason, and those rim's are $7k to order separately. I also haven't seen any after markets that actually look good. The defender I saw in person had them, they really make the look of the truck when you throw duratracs on them. I also won't be doing any rock crawling and the torque vectoring system is really amazing, I'll probably regret not getting the locker, we'll see.

I'd definitely recommend driving both engines. I wasn't even considering the P300 initially, but my dealer happened to have one. I'm glad I tried it.
78k for the 4 liter? This is a wild build but I can't throw down that kinda scratch, not for an off road vehicle. I will be testing one of these soon though. Did you find the panel on the back windows an issue for blind spot?

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the Auto Show in Orlando, I sat in the Defender. It was like sitting in a truck. The windows were cute. I hate the postage stamp thing on the side. The center console was like a ladder laying on its side - the rails seemed in the way. The money collector ridge across the dash seemed a great place to sit garbage and collect dust.

I personally was not impressed by it, but it was an acceptable interior.

I thought the Tacoma I sat in was a little better for what I like. The Defender was a lot better than the Colorado Z2 we sat in. I know lots of people consider that thing but I really didn't like it at all.

I'm not wanting a luxury ride, though - so the Defender isn't for me. I don't want to float above the road, I want to feel it. It helps me feel more in tune to the driving experience.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford keeps increasing the price, it may make sense to cross shop a defender soon. A base defender has some pretty cool gadgets. It's 55-58k because almost all of them have at least something. One I looked at Saturday had a cold weather package and moon roof (or sun roof depending on time of day) and something else and was 58k. A base Bronco 4 door is 37k. 21k difference but not far off 40k. And I know LR is having trouble selling defenders (my dealer has had 54 available for the past month and a half) so a deal is more likely. 40k base ford or 53k base LR defender? For 13k, availability, and color options (the blue with white top on defender is dope as f***) its tempting.

But end of the day, I don't want to spend 40k out the door for anything close to a base offroad vehicle. I was thinking like 30-35k and use some funds to add my first accessories.
If you're sticking with base across the board, they're not so far off (not factoring in cost of ownership), but once you start spec'ing things get divergent.

My preferred BL build is about $53k.... my comparable 110 build is over $70k.

Sponsored

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

78k for the 4 liter? This is a wild build but I can't throw down that kinda scratch, not for an off road vehicle. I will be testing one of these soon though. Did you find the panel on the back windows an issue for blind spot?
Thats 78k CAD, so basically free for you guys down there... I drive an FJ now which also has a horrible B pillar in it's blind spot, so it didn't bother me, my wife mentioned it tho. These cars have blind spot detection standard, so you get a little warning icon in the side mirrors, and the side mirrors are great.

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thats 78k CAD, so basically free for you guys down there... I drive an FJ now which also has a horrible B pillar in it's blind spot, so it didn't bother me, my wife mentioned it tho. These cars have blind spot detection standard, so you get a little warning icon in the side mirrors, and the side mirrors are great.
You fucker. Now I'm looking at these. THere's a tasmain blue nearby for 53k with a white top. There's another tasmain blue with black top with adventure package for 55k a bit further. Fuck. Fuck Fuck FUck.

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you're sticking with base across the board, they're not so far off (not factoring in cost of ownership), but once you start spec'ing things get divergent.

My preferred BL build is about $53k.... my comparable 110 build is over $70k.
I'd argue once you start specing things the defender gets even cheaper. If you add all the features that are standard on a defender into your bronco build they become basically the same price. Particularly if you can live with the smaller engine. The Land rover options are expensive, but I find they are generally less necessary than the bronco ones are.

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MKZ 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You fucker. Now I'm looking at these. THere's a tasmain blue nearby for 53k with a white top. There's another tasmain blue with black top with adventure package for 55k a bit further. Fuck. Fuck Fuck FUck.
Love it... LOL

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Haha, enjoy :p
Sponsored