Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dont know whats worse buying knowing of the unreliability or first model year pick your poision ,good luck all.
With the Discovery, you can get both! :p

(Full disclosure: I am cross-shopping these as well.)
Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you cross shop a Bronco with a Defender?
Doors and roof don't come off on the defender.

Moving on to the next thread.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Look... if want to super deluxe your Bronco, you will turn it into a fancy pants defender suitable for valet parking. You will probably be scared of taking the doors and roof off too. I don't. I want a Bronco that is like ORIGINAL BRONCO.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd argue once you start specing things the defender gets even cheaper. If you add all the features that are standard on a defender into your bronco build they become basically the same price. Particularly if you can live with the smaller engine. The Land rover options are expensive, but I find they are generally less necessary than the bronco ones are.
I don't know man... I get that spec'ing a base defender with the 4cyl is "cheap", but that 6cyl just totally tips the scales.

Defender 110 with a 6 cylinder, leather (heated seats), and towing package:

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 15.37.26

vs

4-door BL with a 6 cyl, lux, leather, hard top, and towing package:

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 15.35.55

Last edited:

Sponsored

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted to see if the price comparison claims were true, so for giggles, I went to the LR b&p and priced out a build similar to my basic 2 dr badlands build. First off, can't get a manual in the LR. The price was north of $52k for the land rover, $45k for the Bronco. And the Bronco gives me everything I want, including removable doors and top, except for some orange trim. I don't get the enthusiasm for that mall crawler with 18" steel wheels being the smallest size available. What a joke. The two models should not be compared seriously.

Last edited:

NoMansLand

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just figured I'd update here, drove the P300 as well as the P400, and I honestly liked the P300 more. It felt more responsive and peppy, I also liked the brakes better. It's definitely significantly slower than the P400, but it did not feel underpowered. There was just something off about the way the P400 reacted to throttle inputs, it does have tons of power and is super smooth, but it definitely sacrifices responsiveness. I was also a little concerned about reliability with the complex electric supercharger system, and it's $10k more...

Anyway, I just officially placed my order for one today, so that means I need to cancel my day 2 bronco reservation. Ended up being $6k CAD more than the bronco spec I was eyeing up, and its pretty well optioned. Almost exactly like the one I posted photos of earlier in this thread, should arrive May/June. bronco just doesn't make sense once you get it all kitted out, at least for me anyway.
I agree 100% on the P400 throttle.

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah if you're going base the bronco makes sense, it really depends what you want the car for.
I wanted to see if the price comparison claims were true, so for giggles, I went to the LR b&p and priced out a build similar to my basic 2 dr badlands build. First off, can't get a manual in the LR. The price was north of $52k for the land rover, $45k for the Bronco. And the Bronco gives me everything I want, including removable doors and top, except for some orange trim. I don't get the enthusiasm for that mall crawler with 18" steel wheels being the smallest size available. What a joke. The two models should not be compared seriously.
Yeah if you are going base the bronco is going to be way cheaper, but it's not a fair comparison as the defender comes with way more stuff standard. So if you don't want that stuff, then it has no value to you. it really just depends on what you want the car for.

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know man... I get that spec'ing a base defender with the 4cyl is "cheap", but that 6cyl just totally tips the scales.

Defender 110 with a 6 cylinder, leather (heated seats), and towing package:

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 15.35.55

vs

4-door BL with a 6 cyl, lux, leather, hard top, and towing package:

Personally as I mentioned earlier, I found the P300 drives better than the P400. I was assuming I'd want the big engine as well until I actually drove the cars. the small engine still has a tow rating thats more than double the the bronco's. Also on paper its a more fair comparison with the small motors, as the big defender engine will be way faster than the bronco's big engine, it's also far more complex.

Sponsored

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
You should drive the new defender and report back on thoughts. I think you’ll be surprised

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen 2 on the street this week, both 4 door. One must've clicked every option, looked pretentious, but you never know, they may use it all. I'm planning on a Badlands although it is unlikely I will ever need its capability.

The only thing as bad as the defender "saddle bags" (WTF do you call them?) is the fender flares on the Sasquatch.

Anyway, I wanted to like the Defender, but so far the 2 I have seen were a miss for me. Maybe if I see a base 2 door with the steel wheels I'll change my mind.

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You fucker. Now I'm looking at these. THere's a tasmain blue nearby for 53k with a white top. There's another tasmain blue with black top with adventure package for 55k a bit further. Fuck. Fuck Fuck FUck.
Hahaha. I planned to wait on the Warthog, but now I am leaning toward a D110. Although in reality I will wait to see what the Grenadier is like when completed and compare the three.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I like the Superchaged V6 in it, but other than that, I'd have to stick with the Bronco, since I wanna row my own gears and actually afford it.

If anything though, be Pimptastic if my dad got a defender, then I'll find somewhere fun for us to offroad together
It’s an I6, and it’s primarily turbocharged (technically also has a small supercharger as part of the MHEV, but is not supercharged by normal meaning of word)

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hahaha. I planned to wait on the Warthog, but now I am leaning toward a D110. Although in reality I will wait to see what the Grenadier is like when completed and compare the three.
The Grenadier is Def a cool copy of the the old defender. But honestly, old defenders were kind of a piece of shit. There's a fine line between being able to fix and having to fix. They also had a tendency to rust.

I'm still happy they're bringing it back (curious if it'll be able to be sold in US). But I'm pretty sold on the new D110. It's rubber/plastic for back of seats and floors which is a whole new trim for bronco.

It packs more HP, has more standard features and is absolutely capable off road. Not saying bronco isn't and I know there's a price gap, but by the time you spec a bronco somewhere similar, it's not that big of a gap.
Sponsored