Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The Grenadier is Def a cool copy of the the old defender. But honestly, old defenders were kind of a piece of shit. There's a fine line between being able to fix and having to fix. They also had a tendency to rust.

I'm still happy they're bringing it back (curious if it'll be able to be sold in US). But I'm pretty sold on the new D110. It's rubber/plastic for back of seats and floors which is a whole new trim for bronco.

It packs more HP, has more standard features and is absolutely capable off road. Not saying bronco isn't and I know there's a price gap, but by the time you spec a bronco somewhere similar, it's not that big of a gap.
I didn't consider it may not be sold in the US. I just assumed it would be. If that is the case I am down to the D110 and a Warthog. I am actually going to test drive a D110 this weekend.
Sponsored

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WL74 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I played around a bit more on the LR site late last night trying to come up with a Defender build that would suit me, but I just canā€™t seem to stay under 60K (which will be my goal if I donā€™t go with a loaded 4-door Badlands), even with the P300 engine. Iā€™m encouraged that some whoā€™ve tried out the P300 like it, so Iā€™m hoping that once I try one out Iā€™ll enjoy it; that alone will cut about 12K from whatever I build. I was also going back and forth between the 90 vs the 110, but think that Iā€˜d end up with the 110 because I just prefer the flexibility I would get with the 4-door. Truth is, the more I think about what I do with my vehicles and what Iā€™m likely to do moving forward, I donā€™t NEED a rock crawler as much as Iā€™d WANT something that can be a great daily driver, and a great adventure platform that can tow a decent size camper when I want to do that (and I donā€™t want to have to have two separate vehicles). Bottom line: I just called the dealer nearest me with the highest rating (there are four within a short drive from me) and scheduled a test-drive for tomorrow to see what I think of the 110 with P300 engine; of course Iā€™ll also test drive the P400. And, heck, might as well check out the 90 while Iā€™m there.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hat
I played around a bit more on the LR site late last night trying to come up with a Defender build that would suit me, but I just canā€™t seem to stay under 60K (which will be my goal if I donā€™t go with a loaded 4-door Badlands)
Same! And that is just too much for me to spend. If I gotta think this hard about it, then it's out of my price range so I'm sticking with the Bronco.

saltyNarwhal

Wildtrak
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I test drove the new defender with both engines, as well as a 2020 JLU Jeep.
Let me tell you this:

- The Jeep road noise is awful and the Defender was super quiet at 80mph. Quieter than most recent cars I have been in.

- The Defender ride is insanely confortable on road, almost no body roll and flies over road imperfections, all due to the excellent air suspension. The Jeep ride was harsh and unpleasant

- It is absolutely false that the Bronco has better off road capability than a defender. A base defender still has 11.5ā€ clearance, and far superior angles than any Bronco except Sasquatch. If you look on YouTube you will see the defender doing crazy shits than most people will never try in their life wether they have a Bronco or a Defender. Itā€™s more than capable. The only trim that can beat the defender offroad is a Badlands Squatch. With equal clearance but better articulation(sway bar disco) and front locker.

I have the same need as you I do long road trips across western USA, that involve 90% road then 10% of off-roading to reach remote wild places where a Subaru canā€™t go. Plus itā€™s also my DD. The Defender is the dream vehicle for that. The only reason I am not getting one is because of poor reliability and extreme depreciation (as seen on any luxury SUV) which makes the cost of ownership awful.

Give me one modern platform for sale that can do the above? I donā€™t see any other than the Bronco. I hate Toyota/Lexus design and the fact they are old platforms, also hate the way they drive.
TBH the best car for me is probably the Bronco Sport Badlands with 1ā€ lift and bigger tires, that puts it at 10ā€ clearance with rear lockers and all the confort features and quiet ride and stuff for less than a Big bend. But itā€™s a bit too small.

I am still on the fence but as of now I do not have a better option than the Bronco. I fully expect it drives better on road than the Jeep but noise will be the same shit. I wished they made a non removable top version with SUV like noise insulation.
Would the new Jeep Grand Cherokee work for your needs?

saltyNarwhal

Wildtrak
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™ve been cross shopping the defender and bronco for a month now. My defender build with the P300 comes in at 58.5k and my badlands/wildtrak builds come in at a similar price.

I drove the P300 and P400 and the P300 had more than enough power for highway and Offroad (might struggle towing something heavy).

The interior on the defender is super nice and very usable, yet rugged at the same time. Very quite and comfortable on the highway. Felt very well built.

I almost put a order in on a D110 today but I worry most about the depreciation. Iā€™m going to keep my bronco order and keep my eyes on used defender prices to see what happens there.

Sponsored

Elwood

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The desk in my home office
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve been cross shopping the defender and bronco for a month now. My defender build with the P300 comes in at 58.5k and my badlands/wildtrak builds come in at a similar price.

I drove the P300 and P400 and the P300 had more than enough power for highway and Offroad (might struggle towing something heavy).

The interior on the defender is super nice and very usable, yet rugged at the same time. Very quite and comfortable on the highway. Felt very well built.

I almost put a order in on a D110 today but I worry most about the depreciation. Iā€™m going to keep my bronco order and keep my eyes on used defender prices to see what happens there.
New Smoking Tire video review just released where they FLOG this thing. Hard to resist...

Does reliability, a convertible top, and lower price mean more than day to day comfort? It's a hard question.

Sure would be nice to have some independent video reviews of the Bronco...

Edit:
Additional podcast where the same guys discuss Defender vs. Bronco/Wrangler, etc. Sounds like press cars for the Bronco Sport aren't available until March...

Last edited:

saltyNarwhal

Wildtrak
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
New Smoking Tire video review just released where they FLOG this thing. Hard to resist...

Does reliability, a convertible top, and lower price mean more than day to day comfort? It's a hard question.

I watched that! It looked like a blast.

saltyNarwhal

Wildtrak
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fo

For me itā€™s more the unknown on depreciation that scares me away. The discovery has terrible 3 year depreciation and I think the defender will do better but I donā€™t know. I donā€™t want to lose 12-15k over 2 years

Elwood

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The desk in my home office
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fo

For me itā€™s more the unknown on depreciation that scares me away. The discovery has terrible 3 year depreciation and I think the defender will do better but I donā€™t know. I donā€™t want to lose 12-15k over 2 years
Serious response: It'll totally be a thing. You gotta accept being in it for a longer period of time, getting a warranty, etc.

Joking response: You have a Quad! Who cares?

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great to know. Thanks. Going to test drive the P300 tomorrow to see if what it feels like on the highway. I certainly believe I could be VERY happy with the towing capacity afforded by the P300 engine spec (7,716 pounds) vs the P400 max towing capacity of 8,201 pounds.

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 0A536CB0-1FD4-4A42-8655-B31217050764

Sponsored

Jmh745

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜16 F-150, ā€˜20 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I placed my order on Monday for a Pangea green P400 SE... should be here in 12-15 weeks. Iā€™m very excited that Iā€™ll be able to wheel this summer in the ozarks and take my week long trip to Colorado in September for more mountain pass fun!

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
My only Land Rover was a 1997 Defender. Never had a single problem the five years I owned it. Bought it new for $35k and sold it for $37k, thinking Iā€™d done good. If I wanted to buy it back today, it would probably be north of $137K! So much for depreciation! I loved that vehicle. Very capable off road, but also much nicer than a Jeep on the road. Wish Iā€™d never sold it.

The Grenadier looks interesting and a near clone of that car, but who knows when it will hit the US, let alone getting maintenance.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/202...-look-land-rover-defender-style-off-road-suv/

I like the 2-door Bronco as itā€™s the closest utilitarian look to the old Defender, as well as the open air top. I donā€™t need the optional
Espresso machine from the modern LR.

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I placed my order on Monday for a Pangea green P400 SE... should be here in 12-15 weeks. Iā€™m very excited that Iā€™ll be able to wheel this summer in the ozarks and take my week long trip to Colorado in September for more mountain pass fun!
Congrats! If I do end up going the Defender route, Pangea Green with white top would be my top choice. Great color! Enjoy your adventures!

saltyNarwhal

Wildtrak
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Serious response: It'll totally be a thing. You gotta accept being in it for a longer period of time, getting a warranty, etc.

Joking response: You have a Quad! Who cares?
haha I love my quad it's the best car I've ever owned!

GOODVBZ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford escape, LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We got a 3 year old lease return LR4 in immaculate condition for a little under 50% original MSRP. Love it so far. Great thing is a lot of these are going to be grannied for 3 years and will depreciate tremendously. Will be able to pick up a bargain if willing to wait.
Sponsored