Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Farah just did a good Defender video... on-road one coming soon too.

Sponsored

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I haven’t said this before

Defender ??

goblue21

First Name
R.B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I dont know whats worse buying knowing of the unreliability or first model year pick your poison ,good luck all.
If he just ordered, he's getting a 2021, which is the second year of production on the new Defender.

texex

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im not sure its so easy to lift an air suspension.
Have you checked that out?
It is, my dealer lifts about half of the defenders the sell. They charge 5K for the lift, labor, and 5 premium wheels and tires. I'm doing it.

Test drove the defender today (4 door 300) and loved it. I'm a 2 door Bronco/Defender guy but the 4 door gave me an idea of what I would get. My defender build plus the 5K for a lift is 72K. My Badlands build is 59K and I absolutely see the 13K difference between the two in quality if the bronco is anything like other Ford products. The bronco is still cooler but I know the defender will be more comfortable. Plus, if I order the defender 90 now I'll have it by May. I'm a mid October reservation number on the Bronco which means 2022. Yes I get more options but I probably won't get my Badlands until Dec or Jan. I really want both but my wife frowned on that idea.

Wahoowa

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is, my dealer lifts about half of the defenders the sell. They charge 5K for the lift, labor, and 5 premium wheels and tires. I'm doing it.

Test drove the defender today (4 door 300) and loved it. I'm a 2 door Bronco/Defender guy but the 4 door gave me an idea of what I would get. My defender build plus the 5K for a lift is 72K. My Badlands build is 59K and I absolutely see the 13K difference between the two in quality if the bronco is anything like other Ford products. The bronco is still cooler but I know the defender will be more comfortable. Plus, if I order the defender 90 now I'll have it by May. I'm a mid October reservation number on the Bronco which means 2022. Yes I get more options but I probably won't get my Badlands until Dec or Jan. I really want both but my wife frowned on that idea.
You and me both
I’m buying defender tomorrow. Now have a year to convince wife on the 22 Bronc!

Sponsored

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

The Bronco we were getting was going to be a Badlands and it sticker out to about 57k.
It was going to be my wife's daily.
We went to see a Defender and were able to sit in it and we can get the 4cyl Defender pretty loaded for low mid 60k.
The wife loves the interior and the fact that it has air suspension so she doesnt have to struggle getting in it.
I told her she can get whichever one she likes more and she said she likes the refinement of the Defender and the fact it can do whatever we would want it to do off-road.
Were not looking to buy till late 21 or early 22 anyway so we have some time.
She also said its tough to choose a vehicle she hasn't seen, sat in, or driven yet. All true.
Soon we will have access to test drive a Defender and hopefully we can do the same with the bronco before March.
That said the wife said dont give ford a deposit...She really likes the Defender. And no, were not mall crawlers. :)
yes, we are aware of LR dubious reliability and intend to get their 84 month warranty which is as long as they offer. :)
They are still having a lot of bugging issues with their electronics. Hopefully that is sorted out by next fall.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Im not sure I would call 5k + an "easy lift."
Didnt someone say it was a lot cheaper for a rod lift or whatever?
Ride hgt is already 11.5 inches...how much more clearance do you need?

Elwood

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The desk in my home office
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco we were getting was going to be a Badlands and it sticker out to about 57k.
We went to see a Defender and were able to sit in it and we can get the 4cyl Defender pretty loaded for low mid 60k.
The wife loves the interior and the fact that it has air suspension so she doesnt have to struggle getting in it.
I told her she can get whichever one she likes more and she said she likes the refinement of the Defender and the fact it can do whatever we would want it to do off-road.
She also said its tough to choose a vehicle she hasn't seen, sat in, or driven yet. All true.
Soon we will have access to test drive a Defender and hopefully we can do the same with the bronco before March.
That said the wife said dont give ford a deposit...She really likes the Defender. And no, were not mall crawlers. :)
yes, we are aware of LR dubious reliability and intend to get their 84 month warranty which is as long as they offer. :)
They are still having a lot of bugging issues with their electronics. Hopefully that is sorted out by next fall.
Mind me asking what that warranty costs if you have any sense of that?

Might be a stupid (impossible) question, but I’ve debated weighing it into our decision.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Might be a stupid (impossible) question, but I’ve debated weighing it into our decision.
He ball parked it at 4k. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more.
I figure I can shop around for a warranty.

Wahoowa

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Roughy $5K at Hendrick (they have their own extended warranty, so would have to use them for service). extends coverage up to 7 years.

Sponsored

Elwood

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The desk in my home office
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roughy $5K at Hendrick (they have their own extended warranty, so would have to use them for service). extends coverage up to 7 years.
Thanks! If it’s the same company that they use next door at Hendrick BMW, I got great service with claim approvals, etc. with them in the past. Probably the best move.

texex

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im not sure I would call 5k + an "easy lift."
Didnt someone say it was a lot cheaper for a rod lift or whatever?
Ride hgt is already 11.5 inches...how much more clearance do you need?
The 5K quote includes 5 wheels and tires.

Primm907

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan S, Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sooo.... I ended up going an ENTIRELY different direction for now. Picked this up over the weekend, and I’m just going to hang onto the old Land Cruiser a while longer.
Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 759C0C5C-80AC-4457-94CE-75D3E18A2135

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You "told her she can get whichever one she likes more..." I must be doing something wrong because my wife told me she will let me get whichever vehicle I like! :)
Sponsored