First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A stock sport is pretty damn impressive. I’m willing to bet that 95% of the BL owners on this forum wouldn’t attempt the same lines. Also, while It might seem bias since I do own a Jeep JL, it’s hard to deny how capable Jeep’s BLD is. The Bronco has terrible BLD by comparison and that’s why I would never own a Bronco without at least a rear locker.

But yet people say you need a Rubicon to off-road. Even Jeepers.
Sponsored

DwnSth

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2013 F150, 2014 GC, 2002 TJ,
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My review....I've got two jeeps in the garage and vapor for Bronco as a 7/14 reservation. From this customers standpoint the one I was wheeling with last week wins!

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good call, when the JL came out they were working on an IFS suspension but Mike Manley decided to avoid a rebellion from the Jeep diehards. It would not take much for them to dust off the design and release it.

2016 Jeep Wrangler May Ditch Solid Axles

Next Generation Jeep Wrangler IFS Myth Debunked
I don’t think they will get rid of the solid axle since they still make the windshield fold down. Wrangler is the only vehicle I know of that has stuck to its heritage since it was introduced. Love it or hate it.

Last edited:

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like the Bronco but I'm not sold on it. The JL in the test was a rental, FWIW a couple years ago I rented a JL when on a trip, the steering was bad, maybe it needed some maintenance? In any case the JL steering is relatively easy to upgrade, much easier than trying to remove 450 lbs from the Bronco, or trying to get the Bronco 2 more highways mpgs to match the JL.

njAK84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are there any reviews comparing these 2 that actually use the top versions of each? I’m getting tired of all these, well here we have the 12Volt EV Jeep Wrangler Spark, versus a 2.3L, non-Sasquatch, Big Bend Bronco. Let’s see which one does better on these well maintained, rural backroads. And then we’ll talk about which one has more cup holders and better Bluetooth earpiece connectivity.

Sponsored

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a bronco and jeep in the garage and drive both regularly. The jeep wanders in comparison to the Bronco, but in no way does it wander like these guys mention. They make it seem like the Jeep is undriveable.

I am over all these review comparisons. They either lean one way or the other and exaggerate a compromise of the competition. Our lives are so good, we nitpick the crap out great things.
Probably have front end issues - it makes them down right scary. I had two steering dampers replaced in just over a year...likely masking something deeper.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably have front end issues - it makes them down right scary. I had two steering dampers replaced in just over a year...likely masking something deeper.
Check the tie rod ends and Track bar. Possible control arm bushings.
All fairly cheap and easy.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know the JT had some steering box issues with the 2020 models and they replaced the steering boxes with the late 2020 or 2021s. This was the main cause of wandering issues seen with new JTs. The new box fixed the issue. I am still running the original steering box without issues in my JT. If it needs to be replaced, they will replace it with the new version. But I think it may be more of a quality control thing. If you have a good one, your fine. Like you said, dampers just mask issues. So if you have a wobble of excessive wandering it is something else in the system.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know the JT had some steering box issues with the 2020 models and they replaced the steering boxes with the late 2020 or 2021s. This was the main cause of wandering issues seen with new JTs. The new box fixed the issue. I am still running the original steering box without issues in my JT. If it needs to be replaced, they will replace it with the new version. But I think it may be more of a quality control thing. If you have a good one, your fine. Like you said, dampers just mask issues. So if you have a wobble of excessive wandering it is something else in the system.
Mine was a 2018 JL…hated the way it drove, hated riding in the back seat. Was one of my least favorite vehicles I ever owned. Returned it and bought the Bronco. Much happier now.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I fixed it by dropping it the dealer and handing them the keys to never be seen again.
Yup, I have been there before. Sometimes you can't get rid of a vehicle fast enough.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, I have been there before. Sometimes you can't get rid of a vehicle fast enough.
They sent me an email - "Hey turn in your lease early for a new Jeep!" I replied, how about I just drive it there and leave it - $0 fees, call it good. They asked how many miles I had on it and said "when can you drop it off?" One bonus to covid vehicle supply issues :)

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They sent me an email - "Hey turn in your lease early for a new Jeep!" I replied, how about I just drive it there and leave it - $0 fees, call it good. They asked how many miles I had on it and said "when can you drop it off?" One bonus to covid vehicle supply issues :)
Considering Jeeps resale, they had no problem with you dropping it off. The Gladiator is my first Jeep and so far (19k miles) I love it. 2k on the Bronco and love it too. Neither are perfect, but both are hella fun.

SteelDriver

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a bronco and jeep in the garage and drive both regularly. The jeep wanders in comparison to the Bronco, but in no way does it wander like these guys mention. They make it seem like the Jeep is undriveable.

I am over all these review comparisons. They either lean one way or the other and exaggerate a compromise of the competition. Our lives are so good, we nitpick the crap out great things.
Hehe. Yeah, I take these reviews with a grain of salt. I drive a twin I-beam F-150 (which I dearly love), so anything new is going to feel like a sports car to me. Performance has come a long way in just the last 10-15 years.
Sponsored