Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You live in a strange world if the method of gear shifting is more important than the entire rest of the vehicle.
@Tex have you used a manual offroading?? I dunno about rock crawling but I know its much preferred in overlanding than the Auto transmission

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Tex have you used a manual offroading?? I dunno about rock crawling but I know its much preferred in overlanding than the Auto transmission
I still own several. I started rock crawling with a manual before I even had a license, and continued doing so until I bought an automatic in a JK and haven't bothered looking back. There's not much of anything a manual has to offer beyond what an automatic and a foot on the brake can provide, but an auto does have that handy torque multiplication coming from the converter. I certainly wouldn't choose a manual mustang or ranger over an automatic bronco or jeep, that's just silly. I don't actually need to wiggle a stick and push an extra pedal to feel like I'm driving.

Bronco Master

Base
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base, 2017 Ford Superduty F-250 STX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why are we talking about ulgy Toyotas on the Bronco6g website 🤣

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I still own several. I started rock crawling with a manual before I even had a license, and continued doing so until I bought an automatic in a JK and haven't bothered looking back. There's not much of anything a manual has to offer beyond what an automatic and a foot on the brake can provide, but an auto does have that handy torque multiplication coming from the converter. I certainly wouldn't choose a manual mustang or ranger over an automatic bronco or jeep, that's just silly. I don't actually need to wiggle a stick and push an extra pedal to feel like I'm driving.
I hear you .... but when stuck in mud or sand, I find the manual much more adaptable to rocking back and forth ... in overlanding its something i cant do with AT

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I hear you .... but when stuck in mud or sand, I find the manual much more adaptable to rocking back and forth ... in overlanding its something i cant do with AT
Most of the autos I've driven were pretty easy to pop back and forth, maybe not super healthy for the transmission and drivetrain in general, but it gets you going sometimes. That is, with the exception of the Toyotas, they have those stupid gates that keep you from shifting straight from reverse to drive. Easy enough to fix with a modified shifter. Come to think of it, really the only auto trans I don't care for is made by Toyota. For Jeeps and other crawlers, it's especially handy when you get a reverse shift pattern (P-R-N-1-2-D) instead of the standard shift pattern (P-R-N-D-2-1). For me, trying to rapidly go from bottom right to top left in a manual Jeep often resulted in going into 4th instead of reverse or 3rd instead of 1st, or grinding the crap out of them. Don't get me wrong, it's great fun to blip the throttle and hammer it into the next gear without using the clutch, making the tires chirp on each gear, I've just come to realize that newer autos are probably better at reliably shifting gears than humans are. It lets you focus on driving when you really need that focus.

Another thing one can look into, not sure if it's an option on newer vehicles, but a manual valve body basically gives you all the benefits of a manual (as you are completely in control of which gear it's in, no matter what, you have to shift it) as well as the benefits of a torque converter. Don't underestimate a TC, those things are super handy when you bump up against a rock or ledge, they won't allow you to stall the engine out when you start bouncing around, they act as a cushion between the engine and drivetrain, and of course, the 2-3x torque multiplication where you really need it. Otherwise identical trophy trucks utilizing the same engines, tires, gearing, etc. have remarkably different transmission output shafts between a manual and auto, and it's almost entirely attributed to the TC acting as a buffer. About the only thing you can't do is push start an automatic, but from what I can tell, new vehicles won't let you do that anyway.

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
manual for rock crawling is awesome if you have three feet or a hand throttle lol

MidnightSpecial

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Raptor Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks good. Are they upgrading the drivetrain too? If not, its just not worth the money compared to the rest of the segment. That V6 is an absolute dog.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks good. Are they upgrading the drivetrain too? If not, its just not worth the money compared to the rest of the segment. That V6 is an absolute dog.
the older 4.0 L V6 was so much better

Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ranger came with a manual, I'd have bought one instead of waiting 2 years for my Bronco.
Ding ding ding!!!! Say it louder so the people at Ford can hear you.

There's a few other things I'd like with the Ranger but this was a big one that swayed me over.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

the older 4.0 L V6 was so much better
Are the newer engines really that bad? I heard they were a definite upgrade, just laggy in stock form and needed a tune and a little help to shape them up. My 4.0L (single and dual VVT) and 4.7L were absolute dogs until they were supercharged, and even then they weren't exactly what I would consider powerful...just a step above adequate. Felt like they didn't make any low end power and always had to be wrung out at 4K or more to really do anything. Had two of them seize up on me as well, one made it to 220K and the other only 105K (4.0L), the 4.7L is still doing fine. My taco is getting an LS swap, I'm just done with Toyota engines and transmissions LOL

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are the newer engines really that bad? I heard they were a definite upgrade, just laggy in stock form and needed a tune and a little help to shape them up. My 4.0L (single and dual VVT) and 4.7L were absolute dogs until they were supercharged, and even then they weren't exactly what I would consider powerful...just a step above adequate. Felt like they didn't make any low end power and always had to be wrung out at 4K or more to really do anything. Had two of them seize up on me as well, one made it to 220K and the other only 105K (4.0L), the 4.7L is still doing fine. My taco is getting an LS swap, I'm just done with Toyota engines and transmissions LOL
original owner of an '06 4 dr v6 Taco with 5ft bed and 144K on it ..... I drive it hard and all i can say is the fkng thing is a tank ... never had an issue ..... the only thing besides regular maintenance is when i changed my front brakes at 105K miles .... I expect it to outlast my Bronco by many many miles

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

original owner of an '06 4 dr v6 Taco with 5ft bed and 144K on it ..... I drive it hard and all i can say is the fkng thing is a tank ... never had an issue ..... the only thing besides regular maintenance is when i changed my front brakes at 105K miles .... I expect it to outlast my Bronco by many many miles
Nice, same year and everything as mine. It's rolling on LT suspension and fully tubed up, so it's probably a bit heavier, but frequently gives gravity the finger anyway.

Ford Bronco Competition: 2024 Tacoma official first look leak from Toyota website! IMG_20191228_182224
Ford Bronco Competition: 2024 Tacoma official first look leak from Toyota website! IMG_20191228_182537
Sponsored

Last edited: