Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 1974 Porsche 914, 1974 Porsche 914 LE
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I always thought the Tacoma looked like $h1t! This looks way better, IMHO.

Heavy_GD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 OBX non Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This looks great…I love Toyotas too and sold my 2017 4Runner (for same price I bought it for at 85k miles) for my Bronco. Bronco is better in every way except likely longevity, which is a big one.
We did the same thing selling our 16 with 84k for close to the original price, and ended up with the same color OBX.

the new 4Runner will have our attention for sure, as for the Tacoma, I'll stick with my Denali HD.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks @Administrator for putting the word "competition" in the thread title. Now, instead of discussing the topic at hand, people are freaking out about that word and focusing on it.

Given your apparent fondness for changing peoples' thread titles 😉, do you think maybe you could alter this one, so people can just talk about the truck, and not just an irrelevant word?

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good. Are they upgrading the drivetrain too? If not, its just not worth the money compared to the rest of the segment. That V6 is an absolute dog.
This will have a 4cy twin turbo as the main drivetrain.

The current Tacoma has a 3.5 Atkins V6 which many people have found inadequate/step back to the previous generation 4.0 V6.

The new drivetrain has more HP and torque than previous generations but as with any new parts there is no history to prove its' quality. But if I was a gambling man (and they are placing this same drivetrain in the 4Runner) I would say it should be a new chapter for Toyota.

Sponsored

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, I've owned 7 Toyotas over the years (including 2 FJ40s and one 4WD truck). I might consider trading my Bronco 2-Door in on a refined/new FJ40, but that truck just looks like another Tonka truck to me. Toyota designers are just followers.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks @Administrator for putting the word "competition" in the thread title. Now, instead of discussing the topic at hand, people are freaking out about that word and focusing on it.

Given your apparent fondness for changing peoples' thread titles 😉, do you think maybe you could alter this one, so people can just talk about the truck, and not just an irrelevant word?
I think he worded it that way on purpose! Which is why I "freaked out" and replied!

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think he worded it that way on purpose! Which is why I "freaked out" and replied!
I don't know why they don't just call this subforum "Other Vehicles". If it's really supposed to be "Bronco vs. the Competition", why don't they just call it "Jeep"...?

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m in that strange world too along with @AZ_Liberty and @Speedycrw.

The biggest selling point for the Bronco to me was the availability of the manual transmission.

Prior to the Bronco announcement I was researching ways to import a foreign-built Ranger to America since they (at the time) offered a manual transmission overseas.

We’re a weird bunch.
Let's just make sure we're all on the same page here, you and the other members you mentioned would also rather have a mustang with a manual transmission than a Bronco with an automatic, because having to physically shift gears is more important to you than any other aspect of the vehicle...like 4WD or being able to go offroad, for example.

LAB0035

Badlands
First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

is it coincidental that the ranger raptor is releasing soon as well?

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not quite that far, but it's close. Can't speak for everyone else obviously... so I'll just speak for myself...

I currently have a 2013 Ford Focus with a manual transmission that I use as my daily driver. The Focus is obviously no longer sold in the United States. I would seriously consider replacing the Focus with an EcoBoost Mustang as my daily driver for the simple fact that the Mustang has a manual transmission offering (or did, until 2024MY).

Another example... I've needed a truck since I've moved into my house in ~2018 to help with fixing up things, yard work, all the usual stuff. Top of the list was the Ford Ranger, and literally the only reason why I did not buy a Ford Ranger back in 2018/2019 was because it didn't have a manual transmission. I just stuffed my poor Focus to the brim with things I bought at the hardware store and done silly stuff like strap plywood to the roof of my car.

To be honest, I was researching how to import vehicles (ie. a Ranger) from Southeast Asia the day Ford announced the Bronco. Since Ford put a manual in the Bronco, it was an instant order for me. Did I still need a truck after ordering the Bronco?? Yes, yes I did... so I bought a utility trailer for my Bronco to pull, and that is effectively my "truck".

---

For me driving is only fun, enjoyable, and engaging when the vehicle has a manual transmission. Driving an automatic transmission vehicle almost turns the entire experience into a chore. The automatic vehicle I'm driving becomes simple appliance whose only purpose is to get me from point A to point B. All the fun gets zapped out of it.

I will fully admit much of my insistence regarding manual transmissions is because I see the writing on the wall, and I know they will be gone forever in the next decade or two as hybrids and electric vehicles slowly take over. There is a VERY good chance the Bronco will be the last manual transmission vehicle I buy with the way the market is headed.

Of course, I will buy whatever vehicles are available in the future. But those vehicles will be a means to the end rather than the end itself. I'll be buying them not because I enjoy driving them, but because I need them to do things or take me to the places I need to go. This also likely means that in some aspects of my life I'll just stop driving altogether. When it comes to replace my Focus, for example, I probably just won't replace it and take the bus instead.
Okay, I think maybe that clears up some confusion. If you don't need a vehicle to fill a purpose (eg, a short wheelbase rock crawler or desert truck or overlanding rig) and it's just used for taking you places on the road, then you want a manual to break up that monotony, because every vehicle is basically the same when you drive the speed limit on the highway. If you did need something like a short wheelbase rock crawler, you would choose based on its actual capabilities on the trail such as wheel travel/tire size/lockers/etc rather than the transmission it has. Is that a correct assumption or am I still missing the point?

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Nice. Is that the Trail Boss or ZR2?