Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Owning a '20 Ranger SCAB for approx. 6 months now I will say the little 4 banger is tough as nails. I call it the "Little engine that could". The Ranger is tow rated at 7500 lbs, and those that have towed with it gives it glowing reviews (www.ranger5g.com). And, from experience the engine is great in DD around town, and on the interstate. Not one problem with merging, and keeping the speeds required on interstates these days. I have no doubt the 2.3L can handle it duties just fine in the Bronco.

Disclaimer: I ordered the 2.7L in my Bronco for no other reason than that's the one a want. Being probably the last new vehicle I'll order I decided to get what I wanted. Not just what would work. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
BaseSquatch

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Watch the savagegeese youtube review - they felt it was way underpowered (manual)
I’ll make sure to give this video a watch. The few complaints I have seen, were more related to the manual transmission, rather than the actual engine.

OP
OP
BaseSquatch

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Owning a '20 Ranger SCAB for approx. 6 months now I will say the little 4 banger is tough as nails. I call it the "Little engine that could". The Ranger is tow rated at 7500 lbs, and those that have towed with it gives it glowing reviews (www.ranger5g.com). And, from experience the engine is great in DD around town, and on the interstate. Not one problem with merging, and keeping the speeds required on interstates these days. I have no doubt the 2.3L can handle it duties just fine in the Bronco.

Disclaimer: I ordered the 2.7L in my Bronco for no other reason than that's the one a want. Being probably the last new vehicle I'll order I decided to get what I wanted. Not just what would work. :)
This is the overall consensus I seem to hear. I spent a lot of time creeping on the Ranger5G forum before I made my choice to go with with 2.3L.

Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
BaseSquatch

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really doubt the 2.3 WOULDN’T be a great fit for the Bronco. It’s the largest engine you can get in the Ranger, and has not been panned in that vehicle’s weight, hauling capacity and total load ratings.

I’m not that disappointed to not have the 2.7/7MT combo. Time of course will tell.
I feel the same way! But I think a lot of people have the wrong impression about it. Simply because it’s a 4 banger.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Like many of us, we have had a lot of time to think about how to build our Broncos. Early on, I wanted the biggest engine, biggest tires, highest priced everything! That was during my “Take My Money” phase. Since then, I thought about what the Bronco designers were thinking when they designed this vehicle. I bet they thought the 2.3L and 33” tires would be the sweet spot. My build has evolved and during that time I realize my final build will be my best solution for my intended use.

Sponsored

Demoncleaner

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave 6 speed
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Watch the savagegeese youtube review - they felt it was way underpowered (manual)
Yeah, I didn’t like hearing that! It’d be nice if I could drive one before I finalize my order, but I sincerely doubt that’ll be possible.

JAC

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tundra; 2020 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I watched their review this morning, I'm not putting too much stock into the "underpowered" comment as he (driver) mentioned race cars and being on a track..... I "feel" he's making a comparison to much lighter and agile cars. Just my opinion. I ordered by BL with the 2.3 and 7sp, so regardless of what all the reviews say I'll still form my own thoughts (eventually) based on my driving habits. Cheers!

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My general feeling after watching some of the reviews was that they weren’t overly impressed with the 4 cylinder, but it was not terribly lacking and good enough.
That’s not the feeling I got. Most of the ones I watched were either impressed with the 2.3 or basically liked the performance of it combined with the 10 speed...

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered the 2.7 but would have been completely happy with the 2.3, hell the 2.3 still has more HP than my V6 tacoma

Sponsored

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For me, speed is not important for my intended use. If I wanted to race across an open desert, maybe my build would be different.
I remembered the attached video and thought it might have some value for those of us who crave speed or perhaps their intended use changes and speed becomes critical. Although the video features a Ranger, I believe the 2.3L engine is the common factor with the Bronco.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

those looking for a theme… I simply followed the tea leaves…

‘Pleasant,’ Adequate,’ ‘Regular,’ ‘Keeps pace,’
enough,’ ‘Lighter,’ ‘Oomph,’ ‘Taking off on a flat road,’ and ‘Standard’

P.A.R.K.-en-L.O.T.S.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m not getting the 2.3 to be a race car. If I wanted that I’d buy a Mustang or some other bullshit. It’s a plenty powerful plant for it’s intended purpose. I can’t wait to be out on the trails going over and through everything thrown at it, and then actually having a comfortable ride home when I’m done.
fast enough to get me there.

NoleDawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seconded. I have 2019 Ranger. Spent last weekend towing a 6k pound camper trailer up through the GA/NC mountains effortlessly with the 2.3L. Love the truck and engine.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My general feeling after watching some of the reviews was that they weren’t overly impressed with the 4 cylinder, but it was not terribly lacking and good enough.
Really? I felt like most reviewers praise both, admit the 2.7 is more powerful but confirm the 2.3 is not a slouch either.
Sponsored