Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How about the brakes, anybody care?
Broncos with the 2.3 have Ranger like vacuum assist. The Ranger's brakes are a known and documented sore spot. The 2.7’s have electronic assist.
Car and Driver’s testing showed a much heavier 2.7 stopping 20 feet shorter than a lighter 2.3.
The 217 foot stop from 70 MPH for the four banger should be very concerning. I believe they were both 2DR’s. The 4DR 2.3 will be worse. Then there are the folks upsizing their tires, yikes...
I'm running 37s on my 4 door 4 banger MT bronco and brakes work great. Mind you, another advantage with manual transmission is the ability to downshift quickly at will if you need extra stopping power...so my braking power is likely much better than the V6 + my engine much lighter. So ya. Um. Ya... Take that LMAO

I'm also not trying to do a full stop at highway speeds in a lifted bronco on 37s. But that's a good way to look at how you can potentially be in big trouble on the road, in just about any vehicle with brakes that goes highway speeds. TIres and temp make a big diff in stopping power too.

Conclusion. Instead of braking, I'll just run over whoever is in my way ;) JK. Well maybe not. But maybe. Haha
Sponsored

OP
OP
BaseSquatch

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How about the brakes, anybody care?
Broncos with the 2.3 have Ranger like vacuum assist. The Ranger's brakes are a known and documented sore spot. The 2.7’s have electronic assist.
Car and Driver’s testing showed a much heavier 2.7 stopping 20 feet shorter than a lighter 2.3.
The 217 foot stop from 70 MPH for the four banger should be very concerning. I believe they were both 2DR’s. The 4DR 2.3 will be worse. Then there are the folks upsizing their tires, yikes...
The brakes are great on my 4-Door 2.3L with Sasquatch. Way better than my GMC Sierra. If you’re worried about stopping distance from high speeds, you shouldn’t invest in an off-road vehicle with large tires. The competition is the Jeep, which we can all agree drives terribly.

smgarland

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who owns both a 2.3L and 2.7L Bronco… You will not notice a difference unless you’re on a steep hill, or at high elevation. And even then, the difference is minimal. These aren’t sports cars, they are Broncos. Gearing is more important than an extra 30 Horsepower.

Notice the people bashing the 2.3L, don’t actually own a Bronco.
Its funny, people seem to forget that the 1990's full size Bronco V8 horse power was 205hp and 275 ft lbs of torque. So the 2.3 new bronco has almost 70 to 95 hp more with the same torque or 25 more with premium gas. I owned a full size back in the 90s and never remember thinking it was under powered. Im sure the 4 banger will be more of a high reving feel compared to the old V8 but the modern engines now are so much better at putting the power to the wheels that it will be plenty of power for what I am using it for.