First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So why is there so much hate around this 10 speed trans? I did a little research and found that there is a lawsuit against Ford due to HARSH SHIFTING which has since been addressed through software updates. But I couldn't find hardly anything negative about the reliability or durability of this transmission. I know it is still fairly new but I'm not seeing anything that is too concerning. Thoughts...?
Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They say it's a "material issue" with the factory disc plates and clutches, then say it "should be fine at 300psi line pressure"?.?.?.? I've tested with these transmissions and they only put out 230psi at wide open throttle. Usually see pressures between 170-200psi during normal driving. The transmission pressure is computer controlled so I'm not sure if a beefed up oil pump would be worth the labor to install. It probably needs some tuning via keyboard to up the line pressure and help the clutches survive higher loads.

Deleted member 3063

You don't actually consider the DCT an automatic, do you?
Do you consider it a manual when it's shifted by electro hydraulic actuators and has no clutch pedal? And that funky little rotary dial, seriously? Anything you can put into D and hit the road I'll call an automatic so yes.
It gets even foggier when Ford hints it may add a manual trans later depending on demand..

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I own the GM version and it's been fantastic (44,000 miles). I assume you don't own one. Enjoy your Chinese manual.
Has it been confirmed that it's going to be assembled in China? Getrag is a multinational transmission manufacturer based in Germany with quite the pedigree. They make transmissions for everything from Fiat to Ferrari. Getrag makes great transmissions.

Truth in that but, they didn't use it in the automatic only GT500, wonder why.
Never mind Hot Rod answered that.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/wha...clutch-transmission-new-shelby-gt500-mustang/
That was a choice based on application. The Tremec Box is a better solution for a borderline dedicated track car. It's a manual with a computer to shift it. Less driveline loss, no torque converter, faster shift times. Regardless of strength of the 10R80, the Tremec is a better choice for the given application and intended use case. Say what you will about Ford, but they do a great job at matching engine/transmission selection to application (See 3160 in the GT350 and Mach-1)

FWIW, Chevrolet puts the 10L90 in the ZL1, so it's no stranger to high HP applications.

Sponsored

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
No one appreciates the significance of the Fetzer Valve. LOL JXC!!!
Cool video detail wise, since he is mixing and putting parts all over I'm curious if that thing will go back together right? Espeically since he's never had one apart...
Also people who whistle/sing/hum out loud drive me nuts. Dude is too young for the 80's anyway, and humming a Cyndi Lauper song is definitely cause to lose your man card.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So i finially watched the video,oh boy auto suck ass ! I know shifting isnt for everyone but some of ya should embrace its simplicity .
If nothing else your on a long lonely highway ripping about 80mph think about all that monkey motion ,all those little parts ,all those electronic sensors no way keep your 10 speed fluid leaking ,slushy,slippy,pos.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you consider it a manual when it's shifted by electro hydraulic actuators and has no clutch pedal? And that funky little rotary dial, seriously? Anything you can put into D and hit the road I'll call an automatic so yes.
It gets even foggier when Ford hints it may add a manual trans later depending on demand..
I don't necessarily consider it a manual, but I certainly don't consider it an automatic. I grew up when an auto was a slushbox and, for the time being, it still is to me.

I had an E46 M3 with an SMGII. The best way to describe that to anyone, even "car guys", was to call it a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch. It had nothing in common with a traditional automatic. I would argue that a DCT has significantly more in common with the SMGII and a true manual than it does the 10R80.

Stupid anecdote time. Instructor at the track didn't understand the SMGII and asked me to keep it in the shift itself mode. I was dismayed, but knew better than to argue with an instructor. In the middle of a corner the damn thing changed gears and all of a sudden he's screaming at me for a stupidly timed shift. I tersely explained the transmission to him again to which he replied, "Well, I thought it would be smooth because it's automatic!" 🤦‍♂️

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't necessarily consider it a manual, but I certainly don't consider it an automatic. I grew up when an auto was a slushbox and, for the time being, it still is to me.

I had an E46 M3 with an SMGII. The best way to describe that to anyone, even "car guys", was to call it a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch. It had nothing in common with a traditional automatic. I would argue that a DCT has significantly more in common with the SMGII and a true manual than it does the 10R80.

Stupid anecdote time. Instructor at the track didn't understand the SMGII and asked me to keep it in the shift itself mode. I was dismayed, but knew better than to argue with an instructor. In the middle of a corner the damn thing changed gears and all of a sudden he's screaming at me for a stupidly timed shift. I tersely explained the transmission to him again to which he replied, "Well, I thought it would be smooth because it's automatic!" 🤦‍♂️
The SMG was indeed the exact same transmission as the manual in the M3. Same internals, you can even convert the SMG into a manual.

DCTs are the same concept, they're automatically controlled manuals. DCTs employ two layshafts typically.

Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting, feel the same way about GMs version of the same trans? No snark intended.
GM auto trannies are shit too. My 6l80 lasted 125k mi? Granted I was hard on it. But come on! It’s factory power. Didn’t realize that whirring sound was my torque converter going out until tranny went out about 5-7k mi later. I’m not a fan of auto trannies. Never have been since I bought my first car. 74 impala 400small block tranny slipped. Replaced. Slipped. Rinse repeat. Manual, clutch goes out. Drop it change clutch and bolt back together. And far cheaper.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have NEVER seen an auto last the life of the truck,i have seen manuals do that and be pulled out to live a happy life in another truck. Clutches are the wear item but proper driving can prolong them for quite a run.
Tell ford to stick their 15 speed pos up their ass ,2.7 stick,5.0stick make the bronco a real truck.đź’©

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have NEVER seen an auto last the life of the truck,i have seen manuals do that and be pulled out to live a happy life in another truck. Clutches are the wear item but proper driving can prolong them for quite a run.
Tell ford to stick their 15 speed pos up their ass ,2.7 stick,5.0stick make the bronco a real truck.đź’©
That’s why I’ve stated in this and another thread automatics will NEVER be as reliable as manuals. Only ones thinking opposite are those that can’t drive manuals or know nothing about them. Fact of the matter is more parts=more problems. 3spd. Pretty damn good, 4spd? Not bad. 5,6,8,10.....problems and more problems. I don’t care if you baby the vehicle. Transmission ;auto) won’t last past 200k mi and you’re VERY lucky if it does. Manual? Without changing the clutch, you can probably get there. Far cheaper. And easy DIY cheap fix.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If only they had really torture tested this transmission to see what it could handle with 500+ ft/lbs of torque at the crank...

oh wait...

Back in Feb of 2016 Ford ran their pre production Gen 2 Raptor in all of these races:

Parker 425, Parker, Ariz.

Mint 400, Las Vegas

Laughlin Desert Classic, Laughlin, Nevada

Vegas to Reno, Nevada

Bluewater Challenge, Parker, Arizona

Pahrump Nugget 250

And of course the Baja 1000 (including the drive down and back up from AZ)

Same damn trans...and a hell of alot more proven then the alternative, enjoy the ride, it's worth the $1895...

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If only they had really torture tested this transmission to see what it could handle with 500+ ft/lbs of torque at the crank...

oh wait...

Back in Feb of 2016 Ford ran their pre production Gen 2 Raptor in all of these races:

Parker 425, Parker, Ariz.

Mint 400, Las Vegas

Laughlin Desert Classic, Laughlin, Nevada

Vegas to Reno, Nevada

Bluewater Challenge, Parker, Arizona

Pahrump Nugget 250

And of course the Baja 1000 (including the drive down and back up from AZ)

Same damn trans...and a hell of alot more proven then the alternative, enjoy the ride, it's worth the $1895...
One thing im absolutly sure you will be paying more than 1895.00 at some point.
Sponsored