Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

Biz

Outer Banks
First Name
Biz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 2dr / 2019 Edge St / 2016 Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

People talk about great experience - but which 2.7L did they have ?

2.7L EcoBoost Nano (2nd Gen) - Bronco 2.7L - new engine starting 2018 -

See also Ford 2.7L EcoBoost Nano - see 'In 2018 . . .'

And see video 2.7L EcoBoost Details You Should Know
I drag race my modded 2019 Edge ST with the 2.7
Have probably 200+ runs at the track with it.
Hasn't missed a beat.
I don't think this is a massive issue. (yet)
Not like what I went thru with my 16 Focus RS.
There was a potential catastrophic engine failure as Ford used the wrong head gasket on all 16's and some 17 models.

Biz

Outer Banks
First Name
Biz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Biz

Outer Banks
First Name
Biz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Okay, the 2019 Edge 2.7 Eco you race with must be the same 2.7 Eco as Bronco (Nano 2nd Gen) - and conditions don't get more extreme than track racing - so there's hope -
And it's modded.
Tune,
Downpipe,
Big mouth ram air
Blow off Valve

Well it was. It's back to stock now as my Bronco is scheduled for 11/08.
It's the reason I went with the 2.7 over the 2.3 although I really wanted a manual.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lot's happening this morning. So, as someone who has a build week of 11/29 for the 2.7...how worried should I be?

Keep in mind I'm a Jew originally from New York so already prone to worry. Use it as a sliding scale

Sponsored

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How wide spread is the valve problem really. Yes it sucks if it happens to you and I won't be happy if it happens when mine arrives (on the train). Are we talking 10 out of a 100 or 100 out of 10,000 engines. Exclusive to Broncos or any nano 2.7? I'm sure Ford is working to id the problem and identify the engines with bad batch valves if this is the problem. Unfortunately, they may not be able to ident individual engines as 2 consecutive engines may have valves from different batches. The only thing they may be able to do is offer a fix as fail program with extended mileage. Not an ideal solution but might be only realistic way. Work with Deere products and they replace stuff if the individual units can be id'ed. I have see them pick out random serial numbers for recall and leave others be. Ford will address this but unfortunately not everyone will be happy with their response.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To the OP, I would be frustrated also, you should be. Nobody should shit on you for posting this here and sharing your story. Ford should, and it seems they are working with you, to make this right. I hope you keep us posted on the progress.

That said, some of the other posters seem to confuse anecdotes with data. We have a couple of anecdotes, but we have zero data. Some of the conclusions people are drawing, the "hand wringing", the conspiracy theories that folks are ruminating about...it is ladies sewing circle shit.

I full-well understand the scope of this problem. I'm rolling the dice everytime I pull out of the driveway.
This is a little over-dramatic.

What are you, or better, do you work for Ford? When you lay down 50k for a new vehicle, and the engine fails at 1000 miles, YES, you should expect immediate remediation. You can not get and install a new engine in less than 30 days. Then what mis-matched numbers with the rest, oh did you say depreciated value? Get real!
Really, immediate remediation? That is an unreasonable standard. This is not part of the warranty agreement, there is no law that states this...it is not a standard elsewhere in society.

I'm no auto expert, but I don't think matching number matter, they are no longer a thing. Replacing an engine won't depreciate the value of the vehicle.

I would agree that a major failure warrants additional compensation beyond the repair. Reduced to resale value for example, which of the 2 vehicles would a second owner prefer: likely not the one with an engine replacement on the carfax. So even just from that standpoint, the value of the vehicle has been reduced through no fault of the owner. Then take into consideration the human aspect of this experience, which is a personal matter, but I would expect most businesses to be looking to make their customers happy. When you find a fingernail in your meal at a restaurant, are you satisfied if they replace just part of your plate where the nail was, or would like a new plate of food? I bet we’d all also expect a visit from the manager to apologize and an offer to comp your meal.
This is an unreasonable expectation and will only lead to disappointment. If the furnace goes out in my house, do they replace my house? Of course not, because that would be silly. Does it decrease the value of my house...nope.

This notion that warranty work will somehow reduce the value of the Bronco is just not valid. We recently sold a Subaru Ascent that blew an engine right around 1,000 also. Top dollar, KBB and didn't even ask a question about replacement engines...only accidents and condition.

I think many of y'all are really blowing things out of proportion...probably a good tiime to enjoy the fresh air and step away from your computers.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

Mjolnir21

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Hummer H3,2021 LR Defender,2012 Corvette GS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow, that sucks. You buy new and from a reputable company.Goes to show you that there is no guarantee only warranties and you hope that's enough. I hope they do right by you. I have 270 miles on my obx, and will be keeping an eye out . Thanx for posting.

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s sad and it sucks big time, but regardless of how long you waited….you’re being treated just like anyone else would. They gave you a loaner, they’re trying to get parts that are hard to come by. I do not see them buying it back for a mechanical failure. Whether this was a bronco or an F150 they have to be given the opportunity to make it right first. IMHO

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How wide spread is the valve problem really. Yes it sucks if it happens to you and I won't be happy if it happens when mine arrives (on the train). Are we talking 10 out of a 100 or 100 out of 10,000 engines. Exclusive to Broncos or any nano 2.7? I'm sure Ford is working to id the problem and identify the engines with bad batch valves if this is the problem. Unfortunately, they may not be able to ident individual engines as 2 consecutive engines may have valves from different batches. The only thing they may be able to do is offer a fix as fail program with extended mileage. Not an ideal solution but might be only realistic way. Work with Deere products and they replace stuff if the individual units can be id'ed. I have see them pick out random serial numbers for recall and leave others be. Ford will address this but unfortunately not everyone will be happy with their response.
Well that's the issue... from the anonymous person posting about the problem, they suggested that a bad batch of valves were delivered to Ford in April 2021 - which may or may not be true.

That person also stated that Ford knew where those valves went - which is likely true - as Ford does appear to be process oriented and appears to track the supply chain pretty closely.

I would be happy if Ford could identify engines at risk, replaced those motors that failed without hesitation, and I would even be happy if they were to state that they were still researching whether on not a recall was justified on engines that had not yet failed.

Unfortunately, they cannot be trusted to communicate openly with their customers and then wonder why we won't trust "the plan". It's because they have shown themselves to be deceptive and disingenuous at times.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
bump for update - bottom of original post

UPDATES:
10/28/21 - Dealer says they expect the new motor to be 'released' in mid November. Their biggest concern is finding the "one time use" parts, more so than the actual failed part.
Well, that's reassuring - I am surprised that they aren't just grabbing a motor out of a Dirt Mountain Bronco...

Or maybe that's what is why it's going to take so long.
Sponsored