Sponsored

COMPLETED -> Project X FF.70 lights with TrailRax TRMR roof rack on a 2 door!

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M Coupe // Volvo P1800S // Caterham CSR 200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE: finally completed the project!

Received my TrailRax TRMR rack and customized it to add the Project X Offroad round driving lights that came off my RTR light bar.
It was about as complicated as I thought it’d be but for different reasons.

Here’s a photo of the end product. And a link to the video I made.

The lights lost their aggressive low-slung stance that they had on the RTR light bar, but I’m happy with how they turned out.
What do you guys think?

installation video

——> original post —->
I love the look of the low-slung big lights that I got with the RTR light bar. But I also want to get a roof rack.

I think I've decided to either get the TrailRax 2-door half-rack or drill into the front wind deflector of the TrailRax full rack.

Half rack:
- I can take off the top relatively easily if I need to (but likely never will happen.. or very rarely)
- no modifications on my part

Full rack:
- can carry larger things like my roof-top tent (that I never/rarely use)
- need to drill, line up, and test fitment of lights on the TRMR wind deflector
- the looks 👍

1684678343334.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having the TrailRax and paxrax on my 2-door, I don't think trying to mount them to the fairing would be a good ideal, but I think you can use some L-brackets attached to the crossover bar that the fairing mounts to and most people mount their light bars on. Then I would suggest getting another crossover bar and mount that to the L-brackets you just installed and mount the lights low-slung from their. You will probably need to bend the L-brackets to the right angle or get a fabricator to create custom ones for you and maybe an embedded bar to mount the lights.

OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We’ll, rack is on its way,.. so we’ll soon find out. 😅

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s not included in the instructions but you need to mount the fairing as high as it will go, I learned the hard way when I put a tent on mine and had bad creaking; also something between the fairing and the side rails, I used flat zip ties, others have used foam or the soft side of Velcro. Otherwise if that haven’t updated their instructions, they include 4 carriage bolts, those are for the windshield header brackets to the fairing cross bar, my instructions said to use the oblong t-slot nuts, but you can’t get them spaced tight.

Hopefully that will save you some time and headaches.

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I love the look of the low-slung big lights that I got with the RTR light bar. But I also want to get a roof rack.

I think I've decided to either get the TrailRax 2-door half-rack or drill into the front wind deflector of the TrailRax full rack.

Half rack:
- I can take off the top relatively easily if I need to (but likely never will happen.. or very rarely)

Full rack:
- the looks 👍

did some photoshop of the Project X lights with a TRMR full rack & added the half rack to my actual bronco.

what do you guys think?

View attachment 481979

View attachment 481982

View attachment 482009

View attachment 482011
I would love to see what you do. I like the project x lights too and I’m wanting to see how I can get them on with the full TRMR rack. What are your thoughts. Lmk because I’ll want to do something extremely similar but instead for the 4 door.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
everything is in the garage waiting for me to ramp up the enthusiasm to go and do something i have no experience in doing. 🤷‍♂️
hopefully this week. I'll post as soon as I'm done.

GlueBoy

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm at Overland West and spoke with the trail rax team and they said they had a customer do this. I have the RTR assembly with the project x lights and just bought a trail rax system, so I'll be playing around with this same configuration.

OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Funny you brought it up. Just finished in friday.
It might’ve been me they were mentioning.. 🤔. I’ve brought up this specific project with them ever since the TRMR rack came out.

I’ll update my very first post up top 👆 with my findings.

GlueBoy

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Funny you brought it up. Just finished in friday.
It might’ve been me they were mentioning.. 🤔. I’ve brought up this specific project with them ever since the TRMR rack came out.

I’ll update my very first post up top 👆 with my findings.
Looks great!

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@jaeggernaut
I enjoyed your video, very well done. I think you did a great job doing the build up. Now that you have had the lights installed for roughly a month now, how is the stability of the lights? Have you been on the trail at night and witnessed if the light beams are steady or are the beams bouncing? Great job bud.

OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@jaeggernaut
I enjoyed your video, very well done. I think you did a great job doing the build up. Now that you have had the lights installed for roughly a month now, how is the stability of the lights? Have you been on the trail at night and witnessed if the light beams are steady or are the beams bouncing? Great job bud.
thx friend.
the lights are pretty solid. No shaking and lights are solid. And the wind deflector does a surprisingly good job with eliminating wind noise.Can’t hear the lights either. There is some noise from the cross beams but minimal.
While I was in their with the wiring I finally fixed the daytime running led. I think I’m going to eventually get pulled over though… 😅
(I’ll post if I ever do)

someone did point out i used the wrong type of wiring to extend parts of the harness. Home Depot mistakenly gave me solid code vs stranded so I just used it. One of the spots already pulled apart. Besides that, all good.

BHD2012

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Outback, 2012 Hyundai Sonata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE: finally completed the project!

Received my TrailRax TRMR rack and customized it to add the Project X Offroad round driving lights that came off my RTR light bar.
It was about as complicated as I thought it’d be but for different reasons.

Here’s a photo of the end product. And a link to the video I made.

The lights lost their aggressive low-slung stance that they had on the RTR light bar, but I’m happy with how they turned out.
What do you guys think?

installation video

——> original post —->

Half rack:

Full rack:
- the looks 👍

1684678343334.png
Looks great! I actually prefer the look with the lights mounted higher up on the trailrax windshield as you have it. The original height of the lights on the RTR platform looks like it would obstuct a bit of your top view e.g., would be difficult to see traffic lights if you are at the front of the line...happens to me with no light bar.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How did you like your project X lights when they were mounted on the RTR bar? Was there any wind noise? Was there glare on the hood when the lights were on?

OP
OP
jaeggernaut

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No noise. A bit of late but not really intrusive. You did catch a glimpse of them through the windshield but it didn’t block your vote in any way.
Sponsored