Sponsored

Completely disappointed in windshield [locked due to insulting behavior].

Status
Not open for further replies.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been driving CJs for decades and now TJ, and never had a stone crack those flat upright windshields. And that includes driving on I25 in Colorado, back when it was notorious for construction dump trucks dropping rocks out the back.

One thing I learned though, fall back or pass any vehicle involved with construction. Just stay away from those.

Also some of these guys driving 80+ mph in Broncos, probably asking for trouble with rock hits and all.

Only time I cracked the windshield, is when the hood flipped up while driving, and slammed into the windshield frame, lol.
Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve read other posts about this but witnessed it firsthand today. Driving on the interstate in my 3 week old Badlands when a small pebble smaller than the size of a pea hit the windshield fright in the line of sight for the drivers side. Instant crack that went half way down the windshield. It will definitely spread in the next few days with the Florida heat.

I can now attest to what others have said: Ford went cheap on the glass for these.
Well, get a repair soon as you can to stop the crack. I drove out to the west coast for T-day and got hit a few times, but no damage. Think it was a fall-off from same direction traffic or a shot out from a tire? Even a teeny projectile is going to do some damage if it was a shot from a semi tire.

Just get someone to melt it, goop it up, whatever they do, sooner than later. Maybe we should be looking into windshield protectors.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is exactly why debris on roadways should be illegal! Contact your congressman and the OEM immediately or you may be the next victim!

Are you F’n kidding me? It’s the luck of the draw, wrong place wrong time get over it! I have three vehicles, a Jeep TJ (flat windshield), Tacoma and Grand Cherokee. We live in the country and have no choice but to have to pass by a quarry to get to town, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. All of our vehicles have had to have their windshields replaced at one point or another and even had rocks crack a windshield back to back within two weeks of one being replaced. It happens….but I wouldn’t post that this is a Ford problem because if that’s the case then the NHSTA should be petitioned to force manufacturers to come up with unbreakable windshields which might be possible but at what cost….an additional $3000 per vehicle?

No thanks as a matter of fact, I think I’ll send a letter to Toyota or Jeep to say how ridiculous it is the the rubber on my tires wore off after only 70k miles or how it would no longer hold air after only a minor nail puncture…..arggghh the outrage I yell ya!

OP
OP

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non Sas Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been driving CJs for decades and now TJ, and never had a stone crack those flat upright windshields. And that includes driving on I25 in Colorado, back when it was notorious for construction dump trucks dropping rocks out the back.

One thing I learned though, fall back or pass any vehicle involved with construction. Just stay away from those.

Also some of these guys driving 80+ mph in Broncos, probably asking for trouble with rock hits and all.

Only time I cracked the windshield, is when the hood flipped up while driving, and slammed into the windshield frame, lol.
My sentiments exactly. I’ve owned half a dozen YJs, TJs and JKs with not a single spider crack, even with 7 years in interior Alaska.

Sponsored

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm fortunate... 9000+ miles in and despite a few loud sounding smacks, no smudges and no cracks. I put over 130k miles in 10 years on my FJ Cruiser (similar design windshield) and despite three repaired chips, I had my original factory windshield the whole time.

Seems to me like a whole lot of this is luck... and tailgating drivers in front. Be safe and Boldly Go!

OP
OP

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non Sas Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, get a repair soon as you can to stop the crack. I drove out to the west coast for T-day and got hit a few times, but no damage. Think it was a fall-off from same direction traffic or a shot out from a tire? Even a teeny projectile is going to do some damage if it was a shot from a semi tire.

Just get someone to melt it, goop it up, whatever they do, sooner than later. Maybe we should be looking into windshield protectors.
I was in the left lane on the interstate and I think the pebble came from the opposing southbound lane. We saw the thing coming and it was less than the size of a pea so I was surprised as hell when it cracked immediately 1/2 the height of the windshield. Like immediately. Not able to prevent that.

I can’t imagine what it would be like back up in Alaska wherecinders are used for traction and rock chips are a daily thing

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve read other posts about this but witnessed it firsthand today. Driving on the interstate in my 3 week old Badlands when a small pebble smaller than the size of a pea hit the windshield fright in the line of sight for the drivers side. Instant crack that went half way down the windshield. It will definitely spread in the next few days with the Florida heat.

I can now attest to what others have said: Ford went cheap on the glass for these.
Well, at least if you live in FL they are one of only other states besides one I live (MA) that has 0 deductible for windshield replacement. I guess it the glass is cheap you don't have to worry about if they replace it with OEM then.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Corning’s Gorilla Glass would be a nice alternative, either from the factory or aftermarket…

It has been available on F-150s before. Hopefully, Corning will show the Bronco some love in the future. 🤞

Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Totally feel your pain, I'm going on my 4th... I do not believe Ford went with cheap glass, it is the design of the windshield - very common on Jeep Wranglers/Gladiators...

I could be wrong though, I'm not happy either way
I've had 4-jeeps, totaling about 15-years of ownership. During all of those years, I've had 1-broken windshield.

Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't count that one, as it might not have broken if it hadn't rolled over on the freeway, in a Michigan Ice Storm.

JoshuaPrieto

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2022 Explorer, 2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've had 4-jeeps, totaling about 15-years of ownership. During all of those years, I've had 1-broken windshield.

Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't count that one, as it might not have broken if it hadn't rolled over on the freeway, in a Michigan Ice Storm.
You are by far the luckiest Jeep owner I know then!

I've had 3 F-150s, 1 Mustang, 3 Explorers, 1 Flex, 2 Escapes, 1 Taurus - never a single chipped windshield that wouldn't last the drive home or to my bodyshop to get fixed.

It could be a mix, the design of the slant and the windshields density/materials

But, the minute the windshield gets chipped, it is always spreading within seconds later

ArrickSports

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy HHR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Totally feel your pain, I'm going on my 4th... I do not believe Ford went with cheap glass, it is the design of the windshield - very common on Jeep Wranglers/Gladiators...

I could be wrong though, I'm not happy either way
You are not wrong, simply the angle of the glass. Stones hit it direct on instead of at an angle.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Jeep owner here and we have had to replace a few windshields. As mentioned, it is the angle of the glass. Had a big rock hit my mustang once and just bounced right off with no damage.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, 3 things can be true at once: rocks can crack glass, upright windshields are more susceptible, and some windshield glass cracks more easily than others. My brother has had terrible luck with the windshield on his Telluride (including getting a crack on his way home from picking up the vehicle brand new from the dealership). Cheap glass? Maybe. Definitely not cheap to replace though.

Become friends with this kit. About $10 at Walmart. I’ve had good luck with it. Get on those chips before they can turn into cracks (if you can make it home before then).

Ford Bronco Completely disappointed in windshield [locked due to insulting behavior]. 0DA35C08-D1F2-4874-861E-2745C59A661F
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.