Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From Bronco Nation

Tops-Article-3-header.jpg

2021 BRONCO HARD TOPS: COMPLEXITIES BEHIND MAKING MODULARITY HAPPEN

Just over two years ago, Webasto Roof Systems announced a $47.9 million investment in a Plymouth Township, Michigan plant to meet the demands of a new contract with Ford Motor Company and FCA. Just minutes from Michigan Assembly Plant, the new facility will be manufacturing modular hard tops for the 2021 Bronco.

Not since the Ford Thunderbird, which ceased production in 2005, has Ford made a vehicle with a removable top. And not since 1996 has Ford made a truck with a removeable roof section.

Webasto, a more than 100–year–old German supplier known for sunroofs, convertibles, and glass roofs — appears to be expanding their open-air roof capabilities with this new Ford contract.

The much-celebrated modularity of the 2021 Bronco is an impressive design breakthrough, but not without its engineering and manufacturing challenges. To deliver an open–air experience to first– and second–row passengers, on both 2– and 4–door models, Ford is offering multiple variations. Reviewing build and price, we count at least six tops that must be sequenced in the plant, each able to keep passengers dry while delivering an acceptable cabin noise at highway speeds.

Tops-Article.jpg

Tops-Article-2.jpg

Tops-Article-4.jpg

Tops-Article-5.jpg

Tops-Article-6.jpg

Tops-Article-7.jpg

Keeping all this in mind, it should come as no surprise that news surrounding the removeable tops on Broncos continues to surface as Ford inches closer to Job 1. On Friday, March 19, Ford announced that sound deadening headliners, a $495 option, would be made standard on Mold in Color (MIC) hard tops for the 2021 Bronco. Reservation holders and enthusiasts alike jumped into the forums to speculate on why Ford would be so generous, with the latest news coming on the heels of Ford announcing the delay of painted roofs. With this move, Ford does reduce some complexity in the manufacturing process by eliminating a with/without the sound deadening headliner.

Challenges related to modular roofs in this segment are not unique to Ford. Jeep forums are full of tech tips and advice following the launch of the 2018 JL. Water leaks with the JK Modular Hard Top Freedom Panel were so common that Jeep issued a Technical Service Bulletin to help stop water leaks at the center front, center rear, A-pillar corners or B-pillar corners of Hard Top Freedom Panels.

Whatever the reason for the delay –– the ramp up of a new supplier, an all-new product, or the curse of COVID –– it appears that modular roofs could be the biggest headwind facing Ford and their suppliers on the 2021 Bronco.

For those of you hoping to avoid modular top challenges by opting for the soft top, Bronco Nation has documented some of the key differences you can expect. If you order your Bronco with only a soft top, you will not get the wiring to power the wiper, rear defroster, and the plumbing for the rear washer. For some, this is not a big deal. For others, this is a game changer. To see what you are missing, here are some photos for you to consider.
Late last year, Ford did announce that the dual–top option would remain available for customers wanting both a hard and soft top. Ford has confirmed to Bronco Nation that those selecting the dual option will receive their soft top in a removable carrier shipped inside the vehicle. This carrier is expected to be a safe and compact way to store the top when not in use.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That overhead view of the sound deadening liner is rather ugly IMO

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's that claim again:

Ford announced that sound deadening headliners, a $495 option, would be made standard on Mold in Color (MIC) hard tops for the 2021 Bronco.
Ford announcement doesn't actually specify this is just for the MIC tops...

Ford Bronco COMPLEXITIES BEHIND MAKING (TOP) MODULARITY HAPPEN Free NVH Sound Deadening Headliner letter to dealer

....unless this is how they're breaking it to us that there are no Mod tops for MY21.... (hey, it’s me from the future... well I’ll be damned. Guess I was right about this)

::EDIT::

On further review, I think the BN piece was written by someone who doesn't totally understand the differences between MIC and Modular tops. They mention the "painted roofs" delay, but not in a way that seems like the understand what they're cutting and pasting into their story... and then they seem to be referring to the "modular" top to mean the hard top in general..... they kind of mix nomenclature in a way that makes me think the person writing doesn't realize that WORDS HAVE MEANINGS.

Challenges related to modular roofs in this segment are not unique to Ford. Jeep forums are full of tech tips and advice following the launch of the 2018 JL. Water leaks with the JK Modular Hard Top Freedom Panel were so common that Jeep issued a Technical Service Bulletin to help stop water leaks at the center front, center rear, A-pillar corners or B-pillar corners of Hard Top Freedom Panels.

Whatever the reason for the delay –– the ramp up of a new supplier, an all-new product, or the curse of COVID –– it appears that modular roofs could be the biggest headwind facing Ford and their suppliers on the 2021 Bronco.

For those of you hoping to avoid modular top challenges by opting for the soft top, Bronco Nation has documented some of the key differences you can expect. If you order your Bronco with only a soft top, you will not get the wiring to power the wiper, rear defroster, and the plumbing for the rear washer. For some, this is not a big deal. For others, this is a game changer. To see what you are missing, here are some photos for you to consider.

Last edited:

SirDapperDom

Badlands
First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 240sx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, so from reading that I gather two things...(?)

1. It's complicated/loud inside so that's why they are including the headliner in order to reduce delays even with the MIC top.

2. Anyone who is ordering a non MIC top get comfy 'cuz we're waiting until 2022.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That Rapid Red Fastback looks great from that angle...the fit of the top and windows is so much better than the Webasto factory top. I don't like the fastback look on the 2 door, but for 4 door I think that will be the way to go as far as soft tops.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, so from reading that I gather two things...(?)

1. It's complicated/loud inside so that's why they are including the headliner in order to reduce delays even with the MIC top.

2. Anyone who is ordering a non MIC top get comfy 'cuz we're waiting until 2022.
I had neither of those takeaways from that.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There's that claim again:

Ford announcement doesn't actually specify this is just for the MIC tops...

Ford Bronco COMPLEXITIES BEHIND MAKING (TOP) MODULARITY HAPPEN Free NVH Sound Deadening Headliner letter to dealer

....unless this is how they're breaking it to us that there are no Mod tops for MY21....

::EDIT::

On further review, I think the BN piece was written by someone who doesn't totally understand the differences between MIC and Modular tops. They mention the "painted roofs" delay, but not in a way that seems like the understand what they're cutting and pasting into their story... and then they seem to be referring to the "modular" top to mean the hard top in general..... they kind of mix nomenclature in a way that makes me think the person writing doesn't realize that WORDS HAVE MEANINGS.
Wait, BN doesn't know what they're talking about? That can't be right. They're never ever ever wrong. :rolleyes:

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That overhead view of the sound deadening liner is rather ugly IMO
That was from the initial pictures of the roof liner. I'm betting the fit/finish will better than that.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love how they include a picture of the soft top being folded back without removing the rear windows. That's not how it should be folded back. That Bronco sound deadening option pictured looks fabulous:rolleyes:...said no one ever.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Love how they include a picture of the soft top being folded back without removing the rear windows. That's not how it should be folded back. That Bronco sound deadening option pictured looks fabulous:rolleyes:...said no one ever.
It looks good enough for sitting in my garage most of the time.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks good enough for sitting in my garage most of the time.
I rock a soft on my jeep during CO winters and a safari top or spider shade during the summers. Going with the hardtop on the wife's bronco though because she'd struggle putting the top up and down being short. At least with the hardtop she can remove the front panels (haven't placed a wager with her yet though on how long it takes to damage a panel).

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Anyone else take more than 5 seconds to scan the article?

Not that BN has ever produced anything that could be confused with quality content, it seems they are starting to sound like a time share pitch.