First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing fun at the moment
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 can make some nice HP numbers with a larger turbo, but then you are sacrificing low end TQ. I'm hoping someone comes out with a compound turbo setup. With a kit such as that, it may be possible to leave the stock turbo in place to retain low end TQ, and reroute the intake and downpipe for the low pressure turbo (larger turbo) to help out at higher revs.

What are everyone's thoughts? Are you willing to push the limits on your Bronco or do you plan to stay stock?
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

No kit exists as far as I know. There are single turbo upgrades that retain that retain the low end torque curve anyways while carrying peak hp to higher in the RPM than the stock unit can provide.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is there any real precedent for compound turbos on a gas 4cyl? I know that diesel bros like them because they help reach stratospheric boost levels, but I've never seen one on a gas i4. Most upgraded turbos for the 2.3 are advertising 500+hp, which seems a bit overkill and more than you want to do on a stock block/bottom end.

If you really need more top end and you're not satisfied with the normal intercooler/exhaust/tune improvements, just get a slightly larger twin-scroll ball bearing turbo. Spool will be very similar and it can breathe just a bit better up top.

Compounds adds a world of complexity on an engine that's just about tapped out in stock form already.

Deleted member 3063

I'm down with the DP and HFC but would focus on high flow charge pipe and inter cooler to avoid boost lag.
Sponsored