Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone having any concerns about the Tachometer preview images and getting the manual? I'm still super divided between the 'fun' of a manual and the benefits of the 2.7 + Auto. It's such a hard decision and I'm grasping at straws as to things of which could sway the balance.

One item I haven't seen much chatter about is the lack of traditional tach on Bronco. The images I've seen of the dash is that there is just this small little vertical bar which shows the tach. I'm not sure I really could work and will likely just have to shift by sound/feel from the looks of it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Except for when you first get a (new) car, the tach doesnā€™t matter that much. You get to know when itā€™s time to shift as you drive it. So, whether itā€™s a swinging needle or a stack of bars, it will probably get the job done while you need it and fade away when you donā€™t.

OP
OP

brettclutch

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd agree but that's an 'excuse' to cover for the fact that there is poor visual engine speed user experience. I for sure have experienced what you discuss many times but I still find myself peering at the tachometer when I'm 'ripping' the gears to pull the max out of the engine. I wonder if I will feel that same 'excitement' with Bronco.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd agree but that's an 'excuse' to cover for the fact that there is poor visual engine speed user experience. I for sure have experienced what you discuss many times but I still find myself peering at the tachometer when I'm 'ripping' the gears to pull the max out of the engine. I wonder if I will feel that same 'excitement' with Bronco.
Same. I never use the tach to shift, I go off feel and sound, but I still usually look at the tach to validate my senses. To your original point, whether or not the Bronco has a traditional style tach on it is of no concern to me. Like what the other guy said, I'll just get used to whatever they have on there. I'll just be happy to be shifting my own gears!

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Except for when you first get a (new) car, the tach doesnā€™t matter that much. You get to know when itā€™s time to shift as you drive it. So, whether itā€™s a swinging needle or a stack of bars, it will probably get the job done while you need it and fade away when you donā€™t.
Exactly. Once you know the vehicle you shouldn't need to use the clutch once you've launched from a stop. You know via feel and noise when the RPMs line up for a smooth shift without it. Applies to down shifting as well, but that requires an additional level of practice and skill...

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have vehicles that don't even have tachs.

Would a traditional tach have been better? Yes.

Is the digital tach/analog speedo combo incredibly stupid? Yes. Ford is good at making terrible decisions that regularly prove they are just sorta stumblefucking along hoping they pull through.

Will it be a problem? No. Not at all. You don't need a tach to know when to shift. Especially seeing as this is a modern vehicle with a rev limiter that will stop you from screwing up.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ive had several manuals that didnt have tachs. And I have had 80s vehicle that used non digital backlit graphics that were just rediculous for intrumentation. I dont use it that much except for diagnostics and other things like that.

A weird tach is definitely not enough to make me give up the best in class crawl ratio. Its gonna be pretty cool to be low low low.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Unless youā€™re drag racing, which a bronco isnā€™t really the vehicle to use, then I donā€™t see any reason you actually need a tach, and even then probably better to install a shift lift and not rely on the tach. A lot of manual vehicles Iā€™ve driven donā€™t have a tach at all. My first car was a 68 beetle, no tach. Had 3 diff beetles, and still have a 74 beetle, no tach in any of them. Ridden/owned multiple motorcycles with no tachs. First motorcycle was a Honda shadow, speedo and trip meter are only thing it has, no tach, no fuel gauge, no clock, nothing else. Only one motorcycle I own that has the standard dial type tach, and I rarely if ever use it - it revs to 12k and even in first gear you donā€™t hit redline line til about 80mph, so no real worried bout what the rpms are there. Another bike I got has a set of bars that go up one side of the digital display and across the top as the tach, didnā€™t even notice it first time I rode it. My camaro is the only vehicle I may purposely glance at tach from time to time, but still wouldnā€™t be bothered if it didnā€™t have one at all. I drove manuals for a few years before I ever drove one with a tach.

But if youā€™re that worried about it, Iā€™m sure the aftermarket will have extra gauge options at some point, probably pillar mount so then ya donā€™t even have to look down.

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's all feel and sound .. I never look down when banging gears.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Shifting requires five body parts only - one hand and two ears and two feet. :)

Edited: I was off by a couple of feet :LOL:

Last edited:

Sponsored

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My biggest gripe is that itā€™s dual information thatā€™s useless. You can get a digital speedometer on the screen so why not make it 100% digital at that point like the mustang?

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know about that..maybe on a Bronco but when my GT350 is high revving I'm looking at the tach

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I started on a manual beetle so no tach there. Iā€˜ve also owned a Mazda 323 GTX with digital circus gauge. Fun to look at. When it was new. Almost never used it to shift. So, like many others, what the tach looks like doesnā€™t matter.
Also, remember, we havenā€™t really seen what the dash looks like on a true production design.
Sponsored