Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmmm... You guys got me thinking to maybe just keep it out for a couple days. Think I will give that a shot.

Also going to crawl under the car tomorrow to see if there is a heat source right under it. When I pulled the drain plug all I saw was an aluminum heat shield so guessing exhaust runs around there.
Sponsored

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

File under “people who already have Broncos problems.”

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hmmm... You guys got me thinking to maybe just keep it out for a couple days. Think I will give that a shot.

Also going to crawl under the car tomorrow to see if there is a heat source right under it. When I pulled the drain plug all I saw was an aluminum heat shield so guessing exhaust runs around there.
Yes, the muffler sits right under there. I did some crawling around under there because it seems like filling that whole area with a muffler is wasted space, especially on a 2-door. I'm contemplating relocating the muffler and either building through-bed storage or putting an extra fuel tank there. That plastic tray sits in a hole through the body and is not insulated other than some heat shielding for the muffler.
Ford Bronco Condensation / Moisture in Rear Under Floor Storage Area PXL_20210422_162542930

Ford Bronco Condensation / Moisture in Rear Under Floor Storage Area PXL_20210422_162522206

Ford Bronco Condensation / Moisture in Rear Under Floor Storage Area PXL_20210422_162507493

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have noticed condensation in the rear under floor storage. I have tried leaving it open and empty for a day to dry out. It appeared to dry out but then the next day I checked it and it was wet again. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

My concern is that it is going to get mildew or something over time.

Here is picture I took after opening it this afternoon to check.
If you're weather has been super humid and hot during the day but clear and cooler at night:
That compartment gets filled with humid air during the day. At night, with no top, the cover can radiate to the night sky, dropping the temperature of the lid below ambient and below the dew point. That lid now serves as a dehumidifier, and where does the condensed water run? As low as it can.

This is the same reason high performance windows get condensation on the exterior glass at night in humid weather. Likely not a design flaw, just an open-top vehicle and physics.

Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, the muffler sits right under there. I did some crawling around under there because it seems like filling that whole area with a muffler is wasted space, especially on a 2-door. I'm contemplating relocating the muffler and either building through-bed storage or putting an extra fuel tank there. That plastic tray sits in a hole through the body and is not insulated other than some heat shielding for the muffler.
A heat source would make the problem better because moisture will generally move from hot to cold.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A heat source would make the problem better because moisture will generally move from hot to cold.
^^^ This guys a friggin’ scientist… @Admin, can we ban this guy? Making us look stupid…

Ford Bronco Condensation / Moisture in Rear Under Floor Storage Area 0623F331-54FE-4622-848E-B3B13A81DF1A

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, it's a head scratcher, especially if he's saying A/C has not been used recently.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Let us know if it helps!

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

did you drive around in the rain and did you enter and exit while it was raining? if the air was really humid when it cools over night it will condense inside. were the windows foggy when you entered the vehicle? was it hot when you discovered this? plenty of explanations for how this could happen.

B33001

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably from sitting in the MAP parking lot without the top completely secure when those storms came that flooded Detroit. Bet they never opened that up to inspect it or dry it! Probably will go away
Ford Bronco Condensation / Moisture in Rear Under Floor Storage Area D58DB5FA-3DFD-4ECE-8F90-8154AEED6027

OP
OP
Berwolf

Berwolf

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably from sitting in the MAP parking lot without the top completely secure when those storms came that flooded Detroit. Bet they never opened that up to inspect it or dry it! Probably will go away
Ford Bronco Condensation / Moisture in Rear Under Floor Storage Area D58DB5FA-3DFD-4ECE-8F90-8154AEED6027
Oh snap, I forgot about that debacle. I was built right around then too. Just so people aren't confused that was Chrysler flooding not MAP. I think MAP only had a couple inches of water.

I checked the storage compartment yesterday and nothing inside and it rained, so thinking probably not a leak. Haven't checked yet today.
Sponsored