Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Never would have thought I would buy such a thing, but this may need to happen...
I just put it on my Christmas list for the kids to buy me. I never have anything for them that they can afford and they like the idea.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
(i) open the remote's case

(ii) solder wires to the terminals on both sides of the momentary microswitch that is depressed when you push the opener's button

(iii) run the wires to the aux switch of choice

(iv) stash the reassembled remote somewhere on the vehicle where it's out of the way, but you can get access every few years to change the battery.

BTDT -- not hard, just tedious if you would prefer to not destroy the remote case. Preferably done with a low-power soldering iron with a pencil tip to minimize heating of the remote's circuit board.
How do you deal with the fact that the switch interacts with the 12 volt system of the vehicle? I had visions in my head of resistors to bring down the voltage and whatever relays and fuses were necessary to keep the vehicle from frying the opener.

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How do you deal with the fact that the switch interacts with the 12 volt system of the vehicle? I had visions in my head of resistors to bring down the voltage and whatever relays and fuses were necessary to keep the vehicle from frying the opener.
You don’t supply voltage from the upfitter switch to the remote as implied. You would wire in a relay to connect the GDO remote’s switch input/output.

#85 = positive input from upfitter switch
#86 = ground
#87 = “output” side of GDO remote’s switch
#30 = “input” side of GDO remote’s switch
Notes:
- need very low amperage to trigger this relay.
- 85 & 86 can be reversed with no adverse results
- 87 & 30 can be reversed with no adverse results

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don’t supply voltage from the upfitter switch to the remote as implied. You would wire in a relay to connect the GDO remote’s switch input/output.

#85 = positive input from upfitter switch
#86 = ground
#87 = “output” side of GDO remote’s switch
#30 = “input” side of GDO remote’s switch
Notes:
- need very low amperage to trigger this relay.
- 85 & 86 can be reversed with no adverse results
- 87 & 30 can be reversed with no adverse results
Thank you for posting this -- it is precisely what I was about to say. I'll edit my post to refer to this one.

Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've heard of people doing 'polite horns' that do a quick 'ahem' honk instead of the standard honk, if you just need to catch someone's attention quickly.
Seriously? Polite horns? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard of. The factory horn IS the “polite” horn.

I want a RUDE horn for all the inconsiderate, oblivious drivers I encounter.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is not powering the winch (I hope) that is controlling the winch solenoid. Winches draw way to much current to run through a normal switch. You are likely energizing the solenoid and the other other switch is flipping the polarity to go in or out
Sooooo, can I use two of the auxiliary switches to operate the winch? One to power on and another to power in and out? Forgive me, I get very confused when talking about amps and volts and relays and watts and draws etc....

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if Ford's factory Aux switches can be set to latching or momentary, depending on your needs? If not, I'm assuming they are latching?

I recently saw a video of someone wiring up some rock lights to a Gladiator. I was amazed when they went into a settings menu on the center touchscreen and could configure each switch to momentary/latching and ignition/battery.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does anyone know if Ford's factory Aux switches can be set to latching or momentary, depending on your needs? If not, I'm assuming they are latching?

I recently saw a video of someone wiring up some rock lights to a Gladiator. I was amazed when they went into a settings menu on the center touchscreen and could configure each switch to momentary/latching and ignition/battery.
I do recall something similar. Most likely the Ford switches are standard and not momentary though.

Sponsored

Zap74

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3. Volkswagen Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, I am getting a 4dr so it seats 5. That means 4 switches will be used for ejection seats. Leave the other two for a winch and compressor!

Last edited:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71