Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No...

Do not disconnect the battery, besides resetting your ECU, wiping your radio presets, and other electronic watchdogs, it will also lock your steering wheel, and its a PIA. Do you mean 'ReadyBrake' system? I don't like that system as it does not power your power brake booster and the cable runs from the towbar thru your firewall to attach to the brake pedal.
I much prefer the Invisible brake from Roadmaster, it incorporates an internal vacuum pump that powers your booster pump via a one way valve allowing the servo to use power breaking without the engine running, requiring much less pedal pull to activate the brakes. Also this system will keep your battery charged without a dedicated power supply. It connects only to your turn & brake lights via the normal trailer plug so is fast and easy to hook up. remember that your ing has to be unlocked so the steering wheel will turn, this is why the DIC must be powered as a push to start system has a solenoid to lock the wheel, with no key to turn .
I have flat towed behind my Motor home for 12 years with 3 different systems, and the invisabrake system is by far the best, but it does require professional installation if you are not a good garage mechanic. It took me the better part of a day to install, and it cannot be easily transferred to another toad. Just my .02.
Haven't flat towed in 7 years, so I missed the steering wheel lock angle. Still have a 2002 Corvette, which had a key, but was the test-bed for the steering wheel lock in push button start (never thought of it till your post - it was a disaster in it's early form, and GM pretended not to notice after first couple of recalls). Aftermarket made manual electric switch for that lock - I unlocked it and leave it that way.
The through firewall cable is funky for sure, but easily handles the no-vacuum load of brakes.
I trailer now - love to be able to back up. May flat tow in future for short hops, but probably will not bother with brakes again - just put some official looking dummy electric cable on to make it look like I care - Class 8 chassis has me under weight even with the toad.
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haven't flat towed in 7 years, so I missed the steering wheel lock angle. Still have a 2002 Corvette, which had a key, but was the test-bed for the steering wheel lock in push button start (never thought of it till your post - it was a disaster in it's early form, and GM pretended not to notice after first couple of recalls). Aftermarket made manual electric switch for that lock - I unlocked it and leave it that way.
The through firewall cable is funky for sure, but easily handles the no-vacuum load of brakes.
I trailer now - love to be able to back up. May flat tow in future for short hops, but probably will not bother with brakes again - just put some official looking dummy electric cable on to make it look like I care - Class 8 chassis has me under weight even with the toad.
yep, I was wondering how they would handle the push to start wheel lock, hence the 'Flat Tow Mode' in the DIC. Class 8 chassis is good with the weight, but state law requires supplemental braking for towed equipement over 1500 lbs in most states. Ran thru a safety check point in Mississippi once where they checked for it, and don't even get me started on having an accident, you know, those people who love to dodge into your lead space and slam on the brakes to exit, thinking you can stop on a dime without the toad fishtailing due to no stopping ability, or the tow bar breaks because it was never designed to stop a 5,000 lb truck going 60 mph. Just isn't worth it to me, but to each their own. I wonder how much longer your 60>0 stopping distance will be with 5Klbs pushing you? Lots to think about. i don't do trailers because than I have to find a place to put the trailer.

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yep, I was wondering how they would handle the push to start wheel lock, hence the 'Flat Tow Mode' in the DIC. Class 8 chassis is good with the weight, but state law requires supplemental braking for towed equipement over 1500 lbs in most states. Ran thru a safety check point in Mississippi once where they checked for it, and don't even get me started on having an accident, you know, those people who love to dodge into your lead space and slam on the brakes to exit, thinking you can stop on a dime without the toad fishtailing due to no stopping ability, or the tow bar breaks because it was never designed to stop a 5,000 lb truck going 60 mph. Just isn't worth it to me, but to each their own. I wonder how much longer your 60>0 stopping distance will be with 5Klbs pushing you? Lots to think about. i don't do trailers because than I have to find a place to put the trailer.
I would just be doing it in the desert, no traffic, no need to ever follow closer than a quarter mile.
I use the Jeep to park the trailer, I thought it would be an issue, but it never has been - even State Parks have a place you can put them if your car can maneuver them.
With a 5th wheel pull-through site you can leave it hooked up - it is heaven to be able to back-up.

Last edited:

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would just be doing it in the desert, no traffic, no need to ever follow closer than a quarter mile.
I use the Jeep to park the trailer, I thought it would be an issue, but it never has been - even State Parks have a place you can put them if your car can maneuver them.
With a 5th wheel pull-through site you can leave it hooked up - it is heaven to be able to back-up.
I know, I have had to go around the block more than once to avoid backing up more than a few feet. I just really enjoy the simplicity of a 2 minute hook up and go, it really hasn't been a huge issue. If I am going into a BLM or Boondocking site I am not familiar with I unhook and use the toad to check out the area.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I towed my LJ some without brakes no problem. But I found myself cruising through some yellow lights to avoid sudden stops. I added brake system (RVI) and feel much better about it, physically and legally.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I towed my LJ some without brakes no problem. But I found myself cruising through some yellow lights to avoid sudden stops. I added brake system (RVI) and feel much better about it, physically and legally.
I have a smaller RV, a 29' class A, and currently tow a 3400lb CR-V, so the 4800lb BD will be another 1400lbs to stop, almost 30% more weight. That's why I love the power braking the Roadmaster affords me, the rig stops in the same distance with or without the vehicle attached.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a smaller RV, a 29' class A, and currently tow a 3400lb CR-V, so the 4800lb BD will be another 1400lbs to stop, almost 30% more weight. That's why I love the power braking the Roadmaster affords me, the rig stops in the same distance with or without the vehicle attached.
Gotcha. There are as many opinions on brake systems among RVers as there are about colors here on 6g! I like my RVI, but understand your choice.

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know, I have had to go around the block more than once to avoid backing up more than a few feet. I just really enjoy the simplicity of a 2 minute hook up and go, it really hasn't been a huge issue. If I am going into a BLM or Boondocking site I am not familiar with I unhook and use the toad to check out the area.
That is why I am thinking of a simple hook-up for BLM/Death Valley runs.
For Baltimore, Atlanta, Nashville, Dallas, etc. to get to BLM territory I go trailer - 10 construction trailer - I trashed my 7.5K Corvette trailer with wife's heavy Grand Cherokee - bearings and tires are cheaper too.

Hank 615

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's THE steadfast, surefire method of taking your Bronco anywhere if you own an RV.

Pull the RV up, engage neutral, parking brake and chock. Make sure there's about a car length between your Bronco and RV. Next, turn the RV *completely* off. Now I'd actually prefer to load everything into the Bronco bc its more convenient imo. Once you've loaded everything up, hop in the Bronco. Turn it on and pull up about 1/2 a car length. Now check your mirrors, make sure you have at least one car width clearance along the RV. Take your foot *off* the brake, carefully pull *around* the RV, and embark on your journey in the Bronco, leaving the RV in the past where it belongs.

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The ford bronco 2.7 can NOT BE FLAT TOWED at this time ford has lied