Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It's already been documented that in this picture (of a pre-production test mule vehicle) the seat bottoms were not put into the correct vertical configuration to allow the seat backs to rest as far horizontally as they are designed to be.

Where the final answer is on "how flat will it be?" we don't know yet. But it won't be as this picture shows, and it won't be perfectly flat.
From the back of the doors to the swing gate in the back, the 2-door is around 50” long. At 46” wide and 43” or so tall, and I feel like there’s quite a bit of space. Specs show 52 cu ft in the 2-door with rear seats folded, so I’m sure the rear section of roll bar and tumbled seats and headrests take up some space. It’s even better that you can fold one of the seats and have another passenger in the rear. What’s not to love? A 2-door wrangler has 13 cu ft with the seat up and 32 cu ft with it folded! It’s hard to tell from pictures, but the Broncos have a LOT of room compared to wranglers.
Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The reason this sucks so much is this means dog owners basically cant get a 2 door unless there is a solution to this. or if your dog is extremely well behaved and manueverable
So I don't have a dog, but I don't understand why the lack of a shelf drawer in the back means someone with a dog can't get a 2 door?

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With a removable back seat and a hammock for the dogs I would have been all set. I will be making a lockable drawer of my own and it should be plenty big for my needs. I hate there is no flat surface but it is no deal breaker for me. Got to say the disappointments are stacking up.

ktbonefish

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I don't have a dog, but I don't understand why the lack of a shelf drawer in the back means someone with a dog can't get a 2 door?
Because with the rear seats up there is no room in the trunk area for anything but a small to medium dog. Forget bringing anything else with you. With the seats down, if they only fold as flat as this picture
Pictures of the 2-door rear are as hard to find as one of the Pope in his underwear. Once folks realize THIS is what Ford's offering, I predict many will cool off quickly:

1596234405109.png
(I know that's not accurate at this time) a dog can't easily lay on that. Additionally, not everyone wants dogs and their nails on the seats themselves, especially ones with leather and marine trim.

As long as the seats fold decently flat, even if they create a 4" shelf higher than the trunk, you can still put stuff back there easily. But if they are still at an unresonable incline when folded that really limits how much a 2 door can haul by default unless they get removed.

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Because with the rear seats up there is no room in the trunk area for anything but a small to medium dog. Forget bringing anything else with you. With the seats down, if they only fold as flat as this picture

(I know that's not accurate at this time) a dog can't easily lay on that. Additionally, not everyone wants dogs and their nails on the seats themselves, especially ones with leather and marine trim.

As long as the seats fold decently flat, even if they create a 4" shelf higher than the trunk, you can still put stuff back there easily. But if they are still at an unresonable incline when folded that really limits how much a 2 door can haul by default unless they get removed.
This does not show the seats folded properly. They released the seat backs but did not tumble the cushions first. Does anyone really think they would design the seats to only fold to a 45* angle?

Sponsored

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the back of the doors to the swing gate in the back, the 2-door is around 50” long. At 46” wide and 43” or so tall, and I feel like there’s quite a bit of space. Specs show 52 cu ft in the 2-door with rear seats folded, so I’m sure the rear section of roll bar and tumbled seats and headrests take up some space. It’s even better that you can fold one of the seats and have another passenger in the rear. What’s not to love? A 2-door wrangler has 13 cu ft with the seat up and 32 cu ft with it folded! It’s hard to tell from pictures, but the Broncos have a LOT of room compared to wranglers.
This is making me feel better about the 2 door, thank you!

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The back area is so small having it as a split level affair is pretty bad

It's be plenty of space if it was reasonably level

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reason this sucks so much is this means dog owners basically cant get a 2 door unless there is a solution to this. or if your dog is extremely well behaved and manueverable
Most people talking about that 2" lift option. I'm over here thinking about the 2 dog lift necessity.

Not really a major problem for me after the initial shock honestly they're both fairly compact and I'll level the floor with a rear seat delete or a lock box or something.

The more I think about it the more I could see getting super excited over a 4" optional locking box for hidden storage like in the seats of the Bronco Sport that also flattens the bed with the rear seats folded. If that were available as an option I'd absolutely include it in my build. If that were put in tandem with a front passenger seat that folds flat like in the Ford Flex (or as flat as the bolstering curves of that seat would allow), now you've got a nice place to (almost?) stretch out should you ever feel compelled to take a nap in there (say, for the overnight stay at the Off Roadeo if you're feeling a bit light in the pocket book and don't want to spring for lodging right away lol).

Anyone else into this idea? Seems very doable right? (I added a pic of something that exists already that might fit the bill, but I'd love to have something like this from the factory so it felt complete driving off the lot y'know?)

20200731_182611.jpg

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Jeep Renegade Trailhawk is actually a slightly smaller footprint and ideal in regards to load floor...and I might just need to reload another of them.

Part of my heartburn is Ford's seeming ambivalence to this issue...to the point of being less than forthcoming as to the rear of the 2-door

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The back area is so small having it as a split level affair is pretty bad

It's be plenty of space if it was reasonably level
Is 52 cubic ft really that small though? It’s more than the standard setup in the back of my GX or a 4Runner or either wrangler.

Sponsored

ktbonefish

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This does not show the seats folded properly. They released the seat backs but did not tumble the cushions first. Does anyone really think they would design the seats to only fold to a 45* angle?
I know, which is what I put in parentheses. Until we know more it will be hard to make an informed decision.

Chamberlin

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X4 M40i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Aftermarket should have something. If not, the seats are definitely coming out!
Already let my buddy at Truckvault know about this new info today... and hell yes seats are coming out regardless!

PR4X4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ and Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Tough crowd. I’ve had a 97 TJ since 2000. It was my first car, had it through high school, college, kids, dogs, moved with, camped, slept in it (never sober), etc... Given the rear seat does come out pretty easily, but it’s no suburban. Storage in a 2 door 4x4 is not going to be great under any circumstances, you kind of just have to figure it out and have a “it’ll fit” mentality.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tough crowd. I’ve had a 97 TJ since 2000. It was my first car, had it through high school, college, kids, dogs, moved with, camped, slept in it (never sober), etc... Given the rear seat does come out pretty easily, but it’s no suburban. Storage in a 2 door 4x4 is not going to be great under any circumstances, you kind of just have to figure it out and have a “it’ll fit” mentality.
Get outta here with that rational thinking of a truck that no one has been in!!!

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

To be honest, the tray looks cool with the FORD tailgate stamp, but I am not getting the utility exactly. It takes up about two cubic feet or so, and when you slide it out you are farther away from your gear in the back. I guess you could put your camp stove on it or something.
Sponsored