6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

PW is a 3/4 ton at its core and kind of a different genre of offroader than the Raptor/TRX.

For overlanding the Wrangler's light payload/towing is an issue. Defender (abit with a vastly different price point) has 400lbs more payload than a Bronco and is rated to tow more than a Ranger (up to 8200lbs)
Defender also has factory bags all the way around... I'm sure that contributes to its tow capacity
Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Defender also has factory bags all the way around... I'm sure that contributes to its tow capacity
the defender base model rides on coils and retains the same tow rating.

Tenny

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8 Corvette, Volt, Jeep XJ, Stealth RT/TT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not that I plan on towing above 3500lbs, but I would like to see it a bit higher. I opted for the tow package thinking maybe it adds different springs or something.

I also was wondering if it'd go up based on the engine purchased. I think really we should only be comparing it to other models in this category and the ranger. Since the ranger has an option up to 7500lbs (iirc) it would make sense that the bronco could at least go to 5,000.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

And is unibody vs body on frame
the defender base model rides on coils and retains the same tow rating.
Hmmmm... wonder what it is then? Defender is basically a unibody... I would think a truck chassis would be better for towing.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Is the Bronco and Wrangler towing capacity so low comparatively because of the removable top?

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And is unibody vs body on frame

Hmmmm... wonder what it is then? Defender is basically a unibody... I would think a truck chassis would be better for towing.
It must have been more of a design consideration for LR than Ford.

FWIW the Defender can be more of a utilitarian rig in some parts of the world than most Land Rovers, they are probably trying to not abandon that market any more than they have to.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Two different vehicles based on two different platforms have different capabilities? Witchcraft I tell ya!

Honestly, some of y'all ask questions as if you've never driven any vehicle before, let alone purchased one.
I've owned numerous vehicles, and towed with them as well. Nailing down limiting factors isn't always as easy as you make it sound. I owned a heavy duty payload package F-150 that had a tow capacity similar to my F-250, but with a much higher payload capacity. The 150 towed like crap, even within specs. Yes, the Defender and Bronco are built on different platforms and will have different capabilities, however, they are in the same class. They are both considered off road, mid sized SUVs. With a towing capacity difference of almost 4000 lbs. It's a legitimate question to ask what the limiting factors are on the Bronco as opposed to the Defender. Could be spring rate, curb weight, chassis, brakes, engine, body construction, etc.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Is the Bronco and Wrangler towing capacity so low comparatively because of the removable top?
Makes no sense. With that logic the Gladiator would not have a 7650 lbs in towing capacity compared to the Ranger's 7500.

Sponsored

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

True. Just read that Gladiator has beefier axles. Plus the longer wheelbase.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

PW is a 3/4 ton at its core and kind of a different genre of offroader than the Raptor/TRX.

For overlanding the Wrangler's light payload/towing is an issue. Defender (abit with a vastly different price point) has 400lbs more payload than a Bronco and is rated to tow more than a Ranger (up to 8200lbs)
Heck, my wife's old Disco Sport had a 4,400lb tow rating. It had a turbocharged 2.0L Ford I-4 mated to that terrible ZF 9sp auto and is a unibody. I was really surprised by the low tow rating of the bronco when Ford released it.