Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

some of you keep looking at it wrong and its not parts used. Bronco classification and its dry weight are the real issue. towing something will add to your payload weight by subtraction. Rule of thumb is 10% so the bronco is maxed at 350lbs towing 3500lbs that comes off your payload allowance per vehicle specification. if you have 1000lb payload max, you just used up a big chunk of that. A 5000lb trailer limit is now 500lbs.
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So what gives with the Bronco tow weight restriction and the Rapter gets a tow weight improvement over last year?
The old Raptor was rated to tow 8000lbs. The regular EcoBoost F-150 SuperCrew could tow 12,500lbs. So maybe the new one is a little better than the old one but it's still a far cry behind what the chassis can do with a firm suspension.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And is unibody vs body on frame

Hmmmm... wonder what it is then? Defender is basically a unibody... I would think a truck chassis would be better for towing.
it's a paperwork thing. they see the wrangler as the only target and don't want stellanis to claim it's not apples to apples comparison.

should be interesting to see how FORD addresses the roof rack issue for MY22

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The short wheel base and top heavy center of gravity on the Bronco is the reason. The Bronco has significantly more weight above the center of gravity than the Ranger does. It has nothing to do with frame strength. Everything to do with being a top heavy SUV.

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The broncos is most likely just an artificial limit to keep it where Ford wants it. Otherwise there would be different tow caps between wheelbases and engines and gearing and tires that all change pretty significantly on the bronco. But there’s just a single tow cap across the board. Like those saying it’s different from the ranger because of wheelbase, there’s a larger wheelbase change from 2 door bronco to 4 door bronco than from 4 door to ranger(16in from 2dr to 4dr, 10in from 4dr to ranger). If wheelbase alone gave the ranger double the tow cap then why’s the 2dr same as the 4dr? So regardless of what else you compare it to and what reasons are given either way, comparing it to itself and the changes between options shows it’s most likely an artificial limit at some point.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
D44 on Wrangler is only on the Rubicon, or used to be. But I believe all Wranglers have the same 3,500 lb limit. I could be wrong though.
Yeah, it's standard on the ranger and Bronco though.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

some of you keep looking at it wrong and its not parts used. Bronco classification and its dry weight are the real issue. towing something will add to your payload weight by subtraction. Rule of thumb is 10% so the bronco is maxed at 350lbs towing 3500lbs that comes off your payload allowance per vehicle specification. if you have 1000lb payload max, you just used up a big chunk of that. A 5000lb trailer limit is now 500lbs.
As per SAE J2807 the stated tow capacity is based on having 300lbs of payload onboard (TWR=GCWR-curb weight-150lb driver-150lb passenger), so that may keep things this low in an FE (which you can't even get the 3500lb tow package in) but certainly not in a BB for example.

Sponsored

Johnnyd

Outer Banks
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey guys I'm getting the 4 door outerbanks with the 2.7. I have a travel trailer that is 3400lbs dry weight and once packed up at least 4500. Is there anyway to get this thing to tow It with adding some things?

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hey guys I'm getting the 4 door outerbanks with the 2.7. I have a travel trailer that is 3400lbs dry weight and once packed up at least 4500. Is there anyway to get this thing to tow It with adding some things?
Nope.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm hoping that the answer is to wait a year or two for the lower trim non-Sasquatch 4-doors to get their own GCWR and a Class III reciever.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
The rear receiver is a recovery point to me.
100% my current 4wd vehicle has used it's receiver as a recovery point and to mount a bike rack.
That is all my Bronco will need to do too.

It is nice to have a center recovery point to get a straight pull.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more correct answer would be..... We don't know yet, as it will take some time for the aftermarket to develop something. Granted, anything that will increase the safe towing range for the Bronco, will also reduce the Off-Road abilities.

I hope that FoMoCo will offer a True Heavy Duty Tow Package which would give the 2D closer to 4000lbs & the 4D closer to 5000lbs towing capacities.
Sponsored