Sponsored

Connected Navigation...just what is that?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Could some of you youngsters help out a technologically challenged old fart. Just what is this connected navigation that you pay a monthly fee for, and how does it work? And, why would it be better than just getting the regular navigation system?

I used to ask my neighbors 12 year old questions like this. But his parents up and moved, and took him with them. I told them they were being rude and inconsiderate, but they took him anyway. :)
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's been answered, but I'm not supposed to be as much of a jackass now, so I will say it adds features and is a subscription service. Think of live traffic, etc.

I don't want anything to do with it, but way back in 2010 my F150 with Sync3 had live weather, traffic, and more via SiriusXM. I imagine it's much like that. When I stopped paying for SiriusXM, it reverted to normal GPS.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's been answered, but I'm not supposed to be as much of a jackass now, so I will say it adds features and is a subscription service. Think of live traffic, etc.

I don't want anything to do with it, but way back in 2010 my F150 with Sync3 had live weather, traffic, and more via SiriusXM. I imagine it's much like that. When I stopped paying for SiriusXM, it reverted to normal GPS.
Ahhhh, you're being so nice there Squatch. Now that wasn't so hard, was it......:)

Thanks for the help bud, explaining it with the Sirius/XM example did the trick. I understand now. We have the standard Nav in the wife's Mustang, but that damn Sync woman has trouble understanding my southern accent most of the time. I use Google maps. Much easier, and I will just continue with it in the Bronco since Android Auto is included in the Sync system now.

BTW, I read a lot of posts, but none hit the mark as much as the Sirius/XM example.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Squatch is correct. However if you pay the 695 for the built in, you are paying for the software to be installed. Without the built in (connected) the only gps you have is through subscription or CarPlay/android.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Squatch is correct. However if you pay the 695 for the built in, you are paying for the software to be installed. Without the built in (connected) the only gps you have is through subscription or CarPlay/android.
Thanks Joshua. As I mentioned to Squatch I very seldom use the Nav in the wife's car. Google maps are easier, always updated, and it understands me better when I say "Y'all". :)

The wife, and I talked about getting the built-in Nav system in the Bronco, but decided against it for just those reasons stated above.

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds expensive and where some stupid Karen will yell at me through the speakers.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reason I'm getting it is because sometimes its just faster if I need to use the nav for something. It's already built in and I don't have to worry about connecting my phone. Since I rarely bluetooth my phone to my car. Since most state have some hands free to distracted driving law. I don't want to pull over or stop to connect my phone

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ahhhh, you're being so nice there Squatch. Now that wasn't so hard, was it......:)

Thanks for the help bud, explaining it with the Sirius/XM example did the trick. I understand now. We have the standard Nav in the wife's Mustang, but that damn Sync woman has trouble understanding my southern accent most of the time. I use Google maps. Much easier, and I will just continue with it in the Bronco since Android Auto is included in the Sync system now.

BTW, I read a lot of posts, but none hit the mark as much as the Sirius/XM example.
You are welcome and I am glad you did search and understand sometimes something as idiotic as Ford is implementing here needs the right analogy.

It was difficult, but my morning caffeine and bacon had kicked in already.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I believe built-in and connected are separate versions, but I still hold out hope that Ford isn't being a total Apple/Microsoft/SaS-Software as a Service jerk in the automotive realm, but it seems they're breaking away from many traditional automotive company norms. If it can have connected navigation, then it has the capability to always have navigation, but like Idiocracy they will now be able to connect to your car remotely and do anything...even remove a tune, I imagine.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are welcome and I am glad you did search and understand sometimes something as idiotic as Ford is implementing here needs the right analogy.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I believe built-in and connected are separate versions, but I still hold out hope that Ford isn't being a total Apple/Microsoft/SaS-Software as a Service jerk in the automotive realm, but it seems they're breaking away from many traditional automotive company norms. If it can have connected navigation, then it has the capability to always have navigation, but like Idiocracy they will now be able to connect to your car remotely and do anything...even remove a tune, I imagine.
They are separate versions. The reason I have connected in parenthesis was to say if you do not have built in you have connected. I should have written it differently. I think CarPlay and Android is far superior. However you probably have to have built in for trail maps. With that there are also apps you can d/l with off-road maps. I never use navigation in my super duty. Always Waze or google. Have a good one.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yummmmmm, I like bacon.

I think Ford is taking a big gamble with this. Generations behind me (and even some of us old farts) that grew up with the new technology understand that they get stuff like Google Maps free with their phone subscription, and can be connected with the vehicles entertainment systems very easily. So, why pay for another subscription that mirrors something you already have? There may be something I'm missing, but it doesn't look like a profit making deal for Ford.

Sponsored

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The reason that i would purchase built in is for when i need navigation when I don’t have cell signal.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are separate versions. The reason I have connected in parenthesis was to say if you do not have built in you have connected. I should have written it differently. I think CarPlay and Android is far superior. However you probably have to have built in for trail maps. With that there are also apps you can d/l with off-road maps. I never use navigation in my super duty. Always Waze or google. Have a good one.
Yeah, I read it differently than you intended, whoops.

I think the trail maps are going to be part of the "connected" paid subscription, unfortunately. Even downloadable versions that I believe Ford alluded to when talking about the capability to navigate outside of normal GPS receivers' capability.

I just hate everything being turned into paid subscription services instead of something you own.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, I read it differently than you intended, whoops.

I think the trail maps are going to be part of the "connected" paid subscription, unfortunately. Even downloadable versions that I believe Ford alluded to when talking about the capability to navigate outside of normal GPS receivers' capability.

I just hate everything being turned into paid subscription services instead of something you own.
Don't look at some of Volvo now then...Subscription cars.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Connected is what you typically think of when you have a built in Nav system in a car.

However, so many people now use their preferred Nav app with their smart phone so the auto companies are giving you the option (and saving themselves some money) for you to use your smart phone data plan and your referred Nav app like Waze, Google maps, Apple Maps, etc.
The Bronco also comes standard with “wireless” CarPlay which further enables the ability to easily take advantage of these smartphone Nav apps. However, if you don’t have a smartphone, or if you typically drive where cell service is spotty, then you may want to consider subscribing to the “connected” service.
Sponsored