broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the Build and Price it’s pretty clear that there is a payload issue with this vehicle.
Is it safe to assume that the 1300lbs advertised payload is for a base model only, and that a Sasquatched Badlands 2.7 (with the heavier engine, steel bumpers, heavier axles and tires) will have a ridiculously low payload?

I am trying to understand how bad this problem is since I will use this vehicle for overlanding and it will often be full of gear. So I think it might be better to avoid the 2.7 and steel bumpers at the very least if not Sasquatch package and go aftermarket for 33 tires (to save weight on the HD axles that come with Sas).

What do you think?
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With the Build and Price it’s pretty clear that there is a payload issue with this vehicle.
Is it safe to assume that the 1300lbs advertised payload is for a base model only, and that a Sasquatched Badlands 2.7 (with the heavier engine, steel bumpers, heavier axles and tires) will have a ridiculously low payload?

I am trying to understand how bad this problem is since I will use this vehicle for overlanding and it will often be full of gear. So I think it might be better to avoid the 2.7 and steel bumpers at the very least if not Sasquatch package and go aftermarket for 33 tires (to save weight on the HD axles that come with Sas).

What do you think?
I think the under rated GVW is over rated. My 77 F150 had a payload of 1500 lbs and it was a truck, used like a truck...no problem. I load my 1000 lb payload rated LJ Wrangler heavily often, in incredibly rough terrain and it does fine. I think you'll be able to load the cargo area with any reasonable amount of camping gear. Most camping gear really isn't all that heavy (leave Grandmas cast iron pot belly stove and that 55 gallon water barrel at home) You might be careful with the roof rack as that would adversely affect center of gravity.

PS: I have carried the same heavily load from the LJ in three different Bronco II's and a 66 Bronco also, they all handled whatever I could fit in including a huge wall tent 15 gallons of water, a deluxe camp kitchen and personal camping gear.

Last edited:

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think?
I wouldn't skimp on the axles to save weight...
Go with the standard bash plates (or aluminum aftermarket), 7 speed, 2.3L (the auto weighs a ton I think), mod bumper in the front, plastic in the rear.... Oh, and 2 door!

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wouldn't skimp on the axles to save weight...
Go with the standard bash plates (or aluminum aftermarket), 7 speed, 2.3L (the auto weighs a ton I think), mod bumper in the front, plastic in the rear.... Oh, and 2 door!
Yes but wouldn’t the auto and bash plates and the bumpers to a certain extent) being heavy items actually help stability as they are as low as possible relative to center of gravity?

Yooperwheels

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the under rated GVW is over rated. My 77 F150 had a payload of 1500 lbs and it was a truck, used like a truck...no problem. I load my 1000 lb payload rated LJ Wrangler heavily often, in incredibly rough terrain and it does fine. I think you'll be able to load the cargo area with any reasonable amount of camping gear. Most camping gear really isn't all that heavy (leave Grandmas cast iron pot belly stove and that 55 gallon water barrel at home) You might be careful with the roof rack as that would adversely affect center of gravity.

PS: I have carried the same heavily load from the LJ in three different Bronco II's and a 66 Bronco also, they all handled whatever I could fit in including a huge wall tent 15 gallons of water, a deluxe camp kitchen and personal camping gear.
Big difference between the Broncho 6G and previous Broncho's. No rear leaf springs on the 6G, independant coil springs, larger tires with larger more flexible sidewalls, longer travel suspension = less load carrying ability, and decreased trailering ability. That's the compromise for increased offroad ability. you want to carry loads and pull things, get a truck.

The GVWR and trailering ratings require certification by the SAE and DOT which are looking at these things much more closely the last few years since the manufacturers were getting carried away with trying to out do each other with their payload and towing numbers. Insurance companies have also denied claims in these circumstances.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Big difference between the Broncho 6G and previous Broncho's. No rear leaf springs on the 6G, independant coil springs, larger tires with larger more flexible sidewalls, longer travel suspension = less load carrying ability, and decreased trailering ability. That's the compromise for increased offroad ability. you want to carry loads and pull things, get a truck.

The GVWR and trailering ratings require certification by the SAE and DOT which are looking at these things much more closely the last few years since the manufacturers were getting carried away with trying to out do each other with their payload and towing numbers. Insurance companies have also denied claims in these circumstances.
Could be. My LJ has stock springs with a 2" puck lift. My buddy's similar LJ has a 3" lift with after market springs. Mine carries a load much better, but his articulates better.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think the 1300lb payload is for the base model, but I think the Badlands 2.7 Sas will have a greater than 6k GVWR so it won't be absolutely horrible, but will require careful planning for an overland build. If you add weight from the factory or after doesn't really change anything other than the door sticker.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Being how I keep hearing from everyone who sees one that it has a real presence to it. I think that this payload issue might be a high center of gravity problem. Think late 90s Explorer rollovers only replace the Firestones with a factory lift and 35" tires. Maybe this is so ambitious of a vehicle that the regulators are being cautious with Ford to keep em out of hot water. If Ford however did their homework and designed this thing to rock, then maybe year 2 or 3 will see payload capacities increase as the stability is proven over years of actual owners not flipping them. On my Jeep Comanche the metric tonne package was introduced in the second model year that increased payload from 1405 to 2200 lbs. Once the figured out that the unibody could take it.

Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m wondering the same. Looks like we’re going to have to wait and see but yeah it’s definitely an issue. I’m for sure going 33s and two door though.
I’m thinking of buying a overland trailer to tow for long excursions. Those things ain’t cheap though.

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2016 wrangler unlimited we currently own has a payload of 850 lbs per the door sticker. Plenty for all but the heaviest of overland rigs. Most 4 door broncos will be similar.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2016 wrangler unlimited we currently own has a payload of 850 lbs per the door sticker. Plenty for all but the heaviest of overland rigs. Most 4 door broncos will be similar.
Yeah I'm used to vannin. That don't cover lunch lol.

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
True, but it's not far off from some off-road focused full size trucks. The payload of a Raptor is only about 1000 lbs.
Sponsored