Sponsored

Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts?

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would recommend talking to Hyer Quality Detail in Tempe.
That is who my friend took his Audi R8 to and his wifes car too... loves them. That would most likely be where I'd be getting the job done at.
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the cost of a full body ppf wrap are just more than I want to spend. I think I'll apply the Adam's graphene/ceramic coat myself, add something to the door sills and might get just the front of the hood wrapped with clear, that's the only place I have a couple dings in my 18 year old Tacoma.

I do want to add that UV clear 'tint' to the windows, really seems to help on hot days, but I'll do that next year, as it's getting cooler here now. And who knows, if I drive around open all the time it's a waste of $.

Has anybody used that Adams graphene UC coating? I figure a day of prep (wash, claybar, etc) and a day of applying is well spent with some music, I'll get to know my Bronco well going that detailed. And it'll help with future washing, where I'm certainly not gonna be that detailed on a regular basis.

Ladyinbluebronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I haven't yet received my Bronco yet but I have friends with nice cars that have added PPF and/or Ceramic coatings to their vehicles and have asked if I'm doing it when I get my truck. I'm thinking about it; but it's all pretty new to me so here goes...

I live in Phoenix and during the summer it's about 6000 degrees outside (rough estimate) and it's sunny about 85-90% of the year; do park in a garage as long as she fits.

What I'm not doing it for:
- looks... i'm not doing it really to "wrap" the truck with visuals or branding; though I know that's an option

What I AM doing it for:
- rock chips from roads - phx/az is synonymous for having the highest frequency of cracked windshields and front-end paint chips/divots
- general sand via wind protection... monsoon/haboobs... nuff said.

I know there's a full body coverage and I'm not thinking that'll really help with Arizona pinstriping (google it); probably just ruin the wrap and void the warranty.
But I'm currently considering a front wrap with front/hood/mirrors/a-pillars... for most on-road issues.

Questions:
- Are any of you doing PPF / ceramicoat? and if so what type / how much of the truck are you wrapping?
- Any experience any of you have regarding it that's PRO getting or AGAINST getting it and why? that'd help.

thanks everybody - just trying to think through this.
Get it! I’ve been installing this for 6 years. If you get in an accident most insurance companies will replace it.
I’m currently getting mine done with Xpel Stealth & ceramic coating ( full coverage)
If you do stealth you should have full coverage as it’s a matte finish. Or do the Xpel Ultimate plus which is glossy so you can do it in sections. Start with the front upper bumper and partial hood/fender kits. Then add rockers. Or full doors. You can do these in stages. You’ll never lose value for installing it.

A180937A-50EC-4E85-A212-5A4780602BAA.jpeg

Ladyinbluebronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been researching ceramic coatings and might spring for Adam's ceramic with graphene advanced. Supposedly lasts 5-7 years 🤷 I forget right now what other brand I am considering, but can anyone recommend a good product?
Check this one out: Quite possibly some of the best.

https://gtechniq.com/ceramiccoatings/

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SO this thread got a little kick... I'll update.

I ended up getting the best xpel 10mm blah blah whatever stuff on the front and hood and front fenders. {insert full frontal joke here}. Then I had them do full ceramic coat on everything, hard top, windows, etc etc etc etc. And they did tint... here in Phoenix the sun is absolutely relentless so I just did the best IR blocking tint they had and put a dark strip on the top of my windshield and the windshield got a light layer just to help block IR.

All in all... that was like $5K + uncle sam out the door.
I've also purchased better wash equipment, power washer, foam canon, very expensive microfiber towel, bucket sediment plastic thingy, all the shit. lol. Figured.... up my washing game and my truck and the wife's car will benefit.

The really cool thing was out on the trail one day I hit a massive muddy water hole and for the next 15 min just watched the beads of dirty water roll across my hood as I traversed rocks lol.

Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I ended up getting the best xpel 10mm blah blah whatever stuff on the front and hood and front fenders. {insert full frontal joke here}. Then I had them do full ceramic coat on everything, hard top, windows, etc etc etc etc. And they did tint... here in Phoenix the sun is absolutely relentless so I just did the best IR blocking tint they had and put a dark strip on the top of my windshield and the windshield got a light layer just to help block IR.

I've also purchased better wash equipment, power washer, foam canon, very expensive microfiber towel, bucket sediment plastic thingy, all the shit. lol. Figured.... up my washing game and my truck and the wife's car will benefit.

The really cool thing was out on the trail one day I hit a massive muddy water hole and for the next 15 min just watched the beads of dirty water roll across my hood as I traversed rocks lol.
I notice you have a Badlands, 2.7, MIC . . . when did you reserve and when did you take delivery?

You described everything I am going to do with my Bronco when it comes in, especially full ceramic, it's the only way to go (as you demonstrated in the mud bath). How dark did you go with the tint, and did you do windshield only? Please share a photo if you can.

And you wash your wife's car?? You're making us look bad . .

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I notice you have a Badlands, 2.7, MIC . . . when did you reserve and when did you take delivery?
Some of that's in my signature.
I did preorder the 14th of July 2019. Did the email with the dealer to confirm order in like... Feb 2020? My original build date was July 27th 2020.. then lot of delays.. blah blah... got a Production date of 21 Oct, Build date 9 Nov, and delivered and I picked her up on 22 Nov right before turkey day. The next morning it went to the PPF/Tint guys lol.

How dark did you go with the tint, and did you do windshield only? Please share a photo if you can.
No all windows were touched. Windshield was just additional and had a light coat just to get the IR blocking stuff on it...Phoenix is hot A F so anything additional helps and is worth the $$. The dark strip up top is just something I like to do... helps when driving west and the sun is trying to melt my eyeballs. The other windows, the tint went over the factory "privacy tint"... The dealer I had made me pay for additional tint ... I couldn't get them to not charge their "contractual agreement" for like fuckin nitrogen and some derp shit but... whatever. I told them I'd pay but do NOT put tint on it. So... I guess I paid MORE for tint technically... I chalk it up to dealer bullshit and just try to not think about it. Darkness... I want to say it was like 30%?? It's a lighter than what I had on my xterra but that was cheaper tint and this new Xpel XR+ stuff blocks the IR/heat so I'm fine with how it works.
Picture incoming in next post... standby.

And you wash your wife's car?? You're making us look bad . .
Sorry? but... she does wash her own car... just I've put in all the research into how to use all the foam and stuff and have bought her the right stuff to use... so she washes it... but I get her the better equipment and show her how to use and and not ruin my tools :) But she's got her own wash mitt and drying towel now that I bought... only because she'll just buy the cheapest shit. But I get her the good stuff, tell her how to use it, and she does it. usually. Then the toddler helps.. 2.5 year old just puttin in work!

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here’s a couple tint pics
Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 5683ECCF-2CD3-4608-A485-F6A8AC817B44
Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 8143A1C2-B9DD-4057-97C7-4D02E68F0689

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some of that's in my signature.
I did preorder the 14th of July 2019. Did the email with the dealer to confirm order in like... Feb 2020? My original build date was July 27th 2020.. then lot of delays.. blah blah... got a Production date of 21 Oct, Build date 9 Nov, and delivered and I picked her up on 22 Nov right before turkey day. The next morning it went to the PPF/Tint guys lol.

No all windows were touched. Windshield was just additional and had a light coat just to get the IR blocking stuff on it...Phoenix is hot A F so anything additional helps and is worth the $$. The dark strip up top is just something I like to do... helps when driving west and the sun is trying to melt my eyeballs. The other windows, the tint went over the factory "privacy tint"... The dealer I had made me pay for additional tint ... I couldn't get them to not charge their "contractual agreement" for like fuckin nitrogen and some derp shit but... whatever. I told them I'd pay but do NOT put tint on it. So... I guess I paid MORE for tint technically... I chalk it up to dealer bullshit and just try to not think about it. Darkness... I want to say it was like 30%?? It's a lighter than what I had on my xterra but that was cheaper tint and this new Xpel XR+ stuff blocks the IR/heat so I'm fine with how it works.
Picture incoming in next post... standby.

Sorry? but... she does wash her own car... just I've put in all the research into how to use all the foam and stuff and have bought her the right stuff to use... so she washes it... but I get her the better equipment and show her how to use and and not ruin my tools :) But she's got her own wash mitt and drying towel now that I bought... only because she'll just buy the cheapest shit. But I get her the good stuff, tell her how to use it, and she does it. usually. Then the toddler helps.. 2.5 year old just puttin in work!
Well then why doesn't she wash YOUR car? :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I agree, I would never let the dealer tint my windows!

Sponsored
OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well then why doesn't she wash YOUR car? :ROFLMAO:
heh... I choose my battles. that's not a hill i'm dyin on. plus I'm better at attention to detail đź‘€

RunJB

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My friend and I will be installing xpel stealth on my whole bronco when I get it. I will also apply ceramic coating on the PPF
Have you PPF'd the Bronco yet? If so, how do you like it thus far?

RunJB

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

How do you like the PPF by now? I'm looking to do this in about a week and was planning on xpel stealth full wrap but am curious about the xpel 10mm for better protection. I'm mostly concerned about Pin Striping in brush etc. Thanks!

RunJB

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get it! I’ve been installing this for 6 years. If you get in an accident most insurance companies will replace it.
I’m currently getting mine done with Xpel Stealth & ceramic coating ( full coverage)
If you do stealth you should have full coverage as it’s a matte finish. Or do the Xpel Ultimate plus which is glossy so you can do it in sections. Start with the front upper bumper and partial hood/fender kits. Then add rockers. Or full doors. You can do these in stages. You’ll never lose value for installing it.

Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 8143A1C2-B9DD-4057-97C7-4D02E68F0689
Can you give me some guidance. I'm mostly concerned about pin striping in brush/trees etc. I am planning on Xpel Stealth but I've heard that it doesn't self-heal as well as the clear? Also, I see Xpel has a 10mm clear wrap. Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!

Holiday

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you like the PPF by now? I'm looking to do this in about a week and was planning on xpel stealth full wrap but am curious about the xpel 10mm for better protection. I'm mostly concerned about Pin Striping in brush etc. Thanks!
I'm not the OP, but I have nearly full PPF (LLumar Valor) on everything but the tailgate. I have been real happy with it, I have seen pinstriping disappear. I'm in KC if you are near and need an installer, I can make a good recommendation. They also put an ExoShield window film on with the PPF. I didn't go with the matte PPF from LLumar because I have Velocity Blue and didn't want to lose the pop of the color.
Sponsored