Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Saw this today on CNET- https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...ts-2020-reliability-survey-tesla-among-worst/

Further down in the article it mentions Ford's newer vehicles: "At the opposite end of the spectrum is Ford, dragged down by the recently redesigned Escape and Explorer SUVs -- the later of which saw multiple recalls this year and CR called "one of the lowest scoring models from any manufacturer -- domestic or foreign -- this year." Sharing platforms with Ford, Lincoln suffers similarly. However, without the recently cancelled Continental and MKZ sedans to bolster its score, Ford's luxury arm drops to the bottom of the list of 26 brands."

A little disheartening to read and doesn't give me a ton of confidence with the Bronco being finalized during the pandemic. Not cancelling my reservation yet but could be another reason to hold off a year or two.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Saw this today on CNET- https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...ts-2020-reliability-survey-tesla-among-worst/

Further down in the article it mentions Ford's newer vehicles: "At the opposite end of the spectrum is Ford, dragged down by the recently redesigned Escape and Explorer SUVs -- the later of which saw multiple recalls this year and CR called "one of the lowest scoring models from any manufacturer -- domestic or foreign -- this year." Sharing platforms with Ford, Lincoln suffers similarly. However, without the recently cancelled Continental and MKZ sedans to bolster its score, Ford's luxury arm drops to the bottom of the list of 26 brands."

A little disheartening to read and doesn't give me a ton of confidence with the Bronco being finalized during the pandemic. Not cancelling my reservation yet but could be another reason to hold off a year or two.
Is it just recalls that are "dragging down" Ford's score, or is it actual reported reliability concerns?

OP
OP
Taco_Sexual

Taco_Sexual

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is it just recalls that are "dragging down" Ford's score, or is it actual reported reliability concerns?
I haven't had a chance to delve into the details, yet. On the other hand, as the owner of an '18 CX-5 for the past three years, I can fully attest to the Mazda's top score. Zero issues or complaints from me on the vehicle. In fact, my car's lack of issues is one of the reasons I probably won't mind waiting an extra year or two for a Bronco.

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If your reservation date stamp is within the first 5 hours of reservations on July 13-14, Please cancel. I would not want you moving forward without confidence.

Sponsored

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dear OP

Find a nice safe place in your house and take cover. There are certain topics that are sometimes best to avoid on this forum unless you’re tough as nails. Consumer Reports, electric vehicles, miles per gallon and really liking the tire size and stance on the Base Bronco:)

Good luck!

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So what happens then to brands that resist turning issues into recalls? Many dealers refuse to acknowledge issues, let alone upgrade to a full on recall... So those brands technically receive the best ranking?

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So what happens then to brands that resist turning issues into recalls? Many dealers refuse to acknowledge issues, let alone upgrade to a full on recall... So those brands technically receive the best ranking?
Depending on the issue OEM's are not dumb enough to resist making something a recall as there are legal mandates that require it.

gammaguybronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Titan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Depending on the issue OEM's are not dumb enough to resist making something a recall as there are legal mandates that require it.
Recalls aren't always optional. NHTSA has a lot of say as to what is a recall and what isn't. I'm hoping CR pulls data from the NHTSA when it puts together it's ratings. Complaints, if they are justified, should count against a car if it is serious enough.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is interesting, the Explorer roll out was a complete disaster. They did a clean floor revamp of an old assembly line (Chicago) going from front to rear wheel drive, totally new platform, from my reading and conversations with others in the industry. They had to re-work almost every vehicle by hand at Flat Rock (I think?) assembly for months after launch. Not that the Bronco can't have problems, but the Wayne plant is pretty solid I think. Also, the Ranger is not new and no matter what anybody says, the Bronco is definitely a Ranger chassis/powertrain based vehicle, so it should not have as complicated a launch as the Explorer either. They really screwed up the entire process form go. I am not familiar with what issues the Escape is having, but I know that Farley has warranty/reliability issues as #1 priority. On a side note, the I do think Japanese vehicles are on average better quality, but the dealers and customer perception are a huge part of the difference. When the Explorer/Mazda Navajo rolled off the exact same assembly line in the 90s, same workers, parts, everything, the Navajo consistently scored higher in satisfaction, lower in initial defect and overall better reliability.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Didn't see the Ranger or F150 on that list.. both donating components to the Bronco
I thought the only shared Ranger components are with the next gen Ranger? The current Ranger is a ~10 year old vehicle that better be pretty 'solid' by now as it makes Tacomas look modern.

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Exactly what I think of every time I hear Consumer Reports. It’s been 30 years, but I don’t care. They never owned up to what they did. I don’t trust them.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had mixed experience with CR as well. I think they are imperfect, like every other source. That being said, the Explorers definitely had issues. The "next gen" Ranger and Bronco do share lot's of components and much of that is based on the existing Ranger. Engines, transfer cases, transmissions, chassis and maybe brakes? (it is updated, but largely the same). What's new on the Bronco- Body (all new and mostly Aluminum, Unlike the ranger), clearly some of the technology and electronic off-road features and the suspension, particularly the multi-link rear. I am sure there are other things too, but those are they key advancements from what I can tell. Not as "clean sheet" as the Explorer.
Sponsored