Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is interesting, the Explorer roll out was a complete disaster. They did a clean floor revamp of an old assembly line (Chicago) going from front to rear wheel drive, totally new platform, from my reading and conversations with others in the industry. They had to re-work almost every vehicle by hand at Flat Rock (I think?) assembly for months after launch. Not that the Bronco can't have problems, but the Wayne plant is pretty solid I think. Also, the Ranger is not new and no matter what anybody says, the Bronco is definitely a Ranger chassis/powertrain based vehicle, so it should not have as complicated a launch as the Explorer either. They really screwed up the entire process form go. I am not familiar with what issues the Escape is having, but I know that Farley has warranty/reliability issues as #1 priority. On a side note, the I do think Japanese vehicles are on average better quality, but the dealers and customer perception are a huge part of the difference. When the Explorer/Mazda Navajo rolled off the exact same assembly line in the 90s, same workers, parts, everything, the Navajo consistently scored higher in satisfaction, lower in initial defect and overall better reliability.
The Chicago plant is a disaster. One of the very few plants to vote down the latest contract.
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where are all those Jeep or FCA haters now? :LOL:. I love my '17 F150 but I will say, last trip into the dealership it had 18 items wrong with it and after 2 follow up visits, only half of the items were actually resolved. The other items they couldn't recreate yet when I dropped it off, multiple items were not functioning correctly (i.e. pano sunroof misaligned and stuck open). In that same time of ownership and miles, my wife's '18 grand cherokee has only been to the dealership 1 time for a faulty nav unit.

I don't go solely based on consumer reports when buying vehicles, I hit the various forums during my research to see whats going on with current owners.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is interesting, the Explorer roll out was a complete disaster. <...> They really screwed up the entire process form go.
My wife bought a 2020 Explorer and it has had a couple of TSBs and had to get repaired once for a bad speed sensor (I believe) that caused the car to completely flake out.

Other than that it's a fantastic vehicle. Surprisingly stiff chassis.

But we are keeping our eyes open. There have been a fair number of transmission issues reported.

I keep telling her thanks for being the beta tester for my Bronco transmission. :)

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where are all those Jeep or FCA haters now? :LOL:. I love my '17 F150 but I will say, last trip into the dealership it had 18 items wrong with it and after 2 follow up visits, only half of the items were actually resolved. The other items they couldn't recreate yet when I dropped it off, multiple items were not functioning correctly (i.e. pano sunroof misaligned and stuck open). In that same time of ownership and miles, my wife's '18 grand cherokee has only been to the dealership 1 time for a faulty nav unit.

I don't go solely based on consumer reports when buying vehicles, I hit the various forums during my research to see whats going on with current owners.
My last two F150s (16/18) have been very good, other than the recalls I have not done (wiring on side airbags maybe?). Wife's 2016 Explorer has been the same to 50K miles, other than a couple of small safety recalls as well. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw. My 2011 Edge has been very good other than an intermittent no start in the very deep cold, starting at 105K miles and recurring twice, with no codes and no resolution. It's about 112K now and my daughter drives it. The rear camera died about 90k, two sets of front, one rear brakes, one exhaust pipe and two batteries. These forums amplify issues too. Rarely do people go on rants about how perfect their vehicle is, be it Ford, Jeep, whoever...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The last time I even considered a ford was several years ago. Showed up on the Lot to check out a Escape (I think it was). After what seemed to be an eternity with the salesman, I finally just asked him.. so can we go drive it already..

His answer.. sorry, Ford won't let us test drive the cars due to some recall concerns...

so I bought my Mazda :)

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With all due respect, I see it differently. IMHO reading online postings from owners about vehicle reliability isn't necessarily indicative, maybe unless there are many hundreds of owners reports for the same issue, such as about the Wrangler steering. We can go online and find many owners reports that say; "My (fill in the blank) vehicle is the best!", or "My (fill in the blank) vehicle is the worst!" Neither one of those necessarily accurately represent the vehicle being talked about. Independent organizations like JD Powers and Consumers Reports might have their faults, but in general give a truer and better indication of a vehicle manufacturers reliability.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I thought the only shared Ranger components are with the next gen Ranger? The current Ranger is a ~10 year old vehicle that better be pretty 'solid' by now as it makes Tacomas look modern.
Kinda wishy washy but at the reveal the Ranger team said it was an all new truck. They changed the frame for crash testing and the steel bumper, suspension for NA ride quality and towing requirements, powertrain is all different aside from maybe the front axle (orange truck at launch had the global banjo style rear axle btw) interior I am not sure if they had a LHD varient out yet, front bumper was new which changed the surrounding nose parts and they changed the hood and tailgate to aluminum. Also added a capless fuel filler (launch truck had a fuel cap) Plus trail control and all the other do-dads they added for NA.

IMO it isn't a straight up 10 year old truck but is sort of a 10 year old truck with a great many tweaks.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought the only shared Ranger components are with the next gen Ranger? The current Ranger is a ~10 year old vehicle that better be pretty 'solid' by now as it makes Tacomas look modern.
Good point, I was just thinking motors and transmissions..

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kinda wishy washy but at the reveal the Ranger team said it was an all new truck. They changed the frame for crash testing and the steel bumper, suspension for NA ride quality and towing requirements, powertrain is all different aside from maybe the front axle (orange truck at launch had the global banjo style rear axle btw) interior I am not sure if they had a LHD varient out yet, front bumper was new which changed the surrounding nose parts and they changed the hood and tailgate to aluminum. Also added a capless fuel filler (launch truck had a fuel cap) Plus trail control and all the other do-dads they added for NA.

IMO it isn't a straight up 10 year old truck but is sort of a 10 year old truck with a great many tweaks.
I've seen it referred to as the "Updated T6 platform".... not a totally new platform, but also not fair to keep calling it the same ol' T6.

Roundrocktx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus is350c, F-150, F-250 on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Saw this today on CNET- https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...ts-2020-reliability-survey-tesla-among-worst/

Further down in the article it mentions Ford's newer vehicles: "At the opposite end of the spectrum is Ford, dragged down by the recently redesigned Escape and Explorer SUVs -- the later of which saw multiple recalls this year and CR called "one of the lowest scoring models from any manufacturer -- domestic or foreign -- this year." Sharing platforms with Ford, Lincoln suffers similarly. However, without the recently cancelled Continental and MKZ sedans to bolster its score, Ford's luxury arm drops to the bottom of the list of 26 brands."

A little disheartening to read and doesn't give me a ton of confidence with the Bronco being finalized during the pandemic. Not cancelling my reservation yet but could be another reason to hold off a year or two.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly I don't see many issues with Ford stuff in the shop, other than poorly maintained 2.0 ecoboost vehicles having cooling related issues... lots of short block replacements....

Roundrocktx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus is350c, F-150, F-250 on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Lexus. They called me one day and said in certain climates and humidity and on an older cars, the door panels might feel a little tacky. If that happens, bring it in and they will replace it.

I took my car in for service and they pointed out that there was a very small piece of plastic in the headlight assembly. If you looked closely, it was a little wavy instead of it being flat. The dealer pointed it out to me and changed out both my headlights.

That's how you get a high score for service and reliability. But, of course, you pay for it!
Sponsored