First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am wondering if I should continue to get my reserved and ordered Basequatch with 2.7- and what options I may have- change, cancel, etc. I have a July 14 reservation- which means pretty much nothing at this point. I am not a priority order and at the absolute bottom of my dealers allocation. So I assume this means a 2022 who knows when.

Now- with the MPG of the Sas being only 17, I know it is not for me. It would be if I were still working and could afford the gas. I can't afford it on my retirement budget 14-17 MPG, which I predict the SAS will get. I retire in 2 years. The Bronco for me now is a base or Black Diamond with 2.3 and 7 speed manual. It's rated to get get 21 highway and I'll bet I'll be able to squeeze out 24 with my driving style. (I always have on manuals- sometimes 10-12 more MPG over EPA sticker believe it or not). This is roughly 7-10 more MPG- which is huge to me.

So what to do- cancel altogether and wait for Broncos to arrive on the lot in late 2022, 2023? Or can my reservation be changed and hope to get it some time in 2022? Or get the Basesquatch and sell it even for a minimal profit of $500? I will need to pay the whopping sales tax though so after that it might be a loss- which would not be good.

Is anyone else in this predicament now that you know the MPG? I thought it would be like the Ranger and F-150 pick Up, which it is not with the 2.7. And don't say get the Maverick, LOL- not for me. I'll keep my current Silverado- which gets 24 MPG although I would prefer a Bronco due to the smaller size.
Sponsored

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am wondering if I should continue to get my reserved and ordered Basequatch with 2.7- and what options I may have- change, cancel, etc. I have a July 14 reservation- which means pretty much nothing at this point. I am not a priority order and at the absolute bottom of my dealers allocation. So I assume this means a 2022 who knows when.

Now- with the MPG of the Sas being only 17, I know it is not for me. It would be if I were still working and could afford the gas. I can't afford it on my retirement budget 14-17 MPG, which I predict the SAS will get. I retire in 2 years. The Bronco for me now is a base or Black Diamond with 2.3 and 7 speed manual. It's rated to get get 21 highway and I'll bet I'll be able to squeeze out 24 with my driving style. (I always have on manuals- sometimes 10-12 more MPG over EPA sticker believe it or not). This is roughly 7-10 more MPG- which is huge to me.

So what to do- cancel altogether and wait for Broncos to arrive on the lot in late 2022, 2023? Or can my reservation be changed and hope to get it some time in 2022? Or get the Basesquatch and sell it even for a minimal profit of $500? I will need to pay the whopping sales tax though so after that it might be a loss- which would not be good.

Is anyone else in this predicament now that you know the MPG? I thought it would be like the Ranger and F-150 pick Up, which it is not with the 2.7. And don't say get the Maverick, LOL- not for me. I'll keep my current Silverado- which gets 24 MPG although I would prefer a Bronco due to the smaller size.
Why don’t you j drop the Sasquatch package and go to 2.3L and 7sp?

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll give you the same advice as my brother-in-law. If you're worried at all about money, don't try the silly buy something and sell it in a year thing. Second, be honest with yourself why you're buying this and what your needs are. Do you need the sasquatch? Do you just want it (and can afford it)? People are losing their god damn minds over a few months. If you're close to retiring, you know how quickly those months can go by. Of course, if you want your toy now and are willing to pay for it, go for it! Me, I'm sticking with my Black Diamond 2.3 manual because that's what I want and that's what I know I'll want 10 years from now.

Now my brother-in-law, he wants the new and shiny and there isn't anything wrong with that. Get what you want (and can afford) but remember that a few months is just a few months.

So, some advice you you... Well, I just can't give it. I don't know you and neither does anyone else on this forum. From your post though, it sounds like you've thought about this and know what to do. What you really want is the secret password to get your Bronco delivered tomorrow and that just doesn't exist.

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Perhaps my post was too wordy-

What I want to know is can I change my order from Basesquatch to either Base or Black Diamond with 2.3 and 7 speed manual to get better gas mileage. I originally wanted the 35" tires and 2.7 but the gas mileage is just awful at 17 MPG. I can at least get in the 20's with the 2.3 and 7 speed.

Or Do I have to cancel my order and simply start over and get at the end of the line?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if you don't have a VIN and build date yet you can change it to what ever you want without problem. No matter what the dealer might say.
Once you have a VIN and build date, you can't.

Figure out what you want to change things to and e-mail your dealer with a change request. Ask for updated order print (DORA) to review.

I'm not all that happy about the mileage either, but can live with it, day to day I hardly have to drive anywhere. It'll make trips somewhat more expensive, and I'd really like a bit of more range on one tank, but won't get that driving a tank like vehicle.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
As long as you do not have a VIN, you can change your order.

I would change to a Base, 2.3, Manual (which is what I actually have on order)
Make sure your dealer e-mails or texts you the updated DORA.

Black Diamond comes standard with the MGV seats. Which is why I did not order that trim (much as I like some other features). I simply will not own Vinyl seats in Arizona. I wouldn't want them in Florida either.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The difference between the trims and gas mileage is really not enough to really make a huge difference on the wallet. You are only talking a few mpg better. Not like it's a 10-15 mpg difference. I guess to be blunt, if you can't afford a few extra mpg you probably shouldn't be getting the bronco in the first place and should be looking at a hybrid, EV, or regular engine that gets good gas mileage.

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Perhaps my post was too wordy-

What I want to know is can I change my order from Basesquatch to either Base or Black Diamond with 2.3 and 7 speed manual to get better gas mileage. I originally wanted the 35" tires and 2.7 but the gas mileage is just awful at 17 MPG. I can at least get in the 20's with the 2.3 and 7 speed.

Or Do I have to cancel my order and simply start over and get at the end of the line?
No, changed mine this morning, do not cancel unless you are willing to wait longer. Your easy driving style may help you squeeze out a little MPG with smaller tires, less weight, and the 2.3. If it doesn't work for you after a year or so, consider selling while its limited on dealer lots.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base

Eliminating Sasquatch and 2.7L auto will save you about $9000 and get you your Bronco sooner. You'll save about 15% in gas. You'll probably want to upgrade to 265/75R16 tires for another $1000, still net savings of $8000. That will be a cool looking rig with those tires and you'll have lots of fun with it. Having the extra $8k or $8k less in debt will ease your mind while still having an awesome Bronco! Saving each time at the pump will also make you feel good. Go base Base with the tire upgrade and enjoy stress free!

Btw, I'm Base 2.7L Squatch which I downgraded from Badlands to save some cash.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Eliminating Sasquatch and 2.7L auto will save you about $9000 and get you your Bronco sooner. You'll save about 15% in gas. You'll probably want to upgrade to 265/75R16 tires for another $1000, still net savings of $8000. That will be a cool looking rig with those tires and you'll have lots of fun with it. Having the extra $8k or $8k less in debt will ease your mind while still having an awesome Bronco! Saving each time at the pump will also make you feel good. Go base Base with the tire upgrade and enjoy stress free!

Btw, I'm Base 2.7L Squatch which I downgraded from Badlands to save some cash.
Good advice. Unless the OP has a particular real use case requiring the Sas components and 35s, the alternate config mentioned should also be a lot of fun and capable. Getting him anywhere he likely wants in top down/doors off style, and at a better price point for his financial situation.

Sponsored

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The difference between the trims and gas mileage is really not enough to really make a huge difference on the wallet. You are only talking a few mpg better. Not like it's a 10-15 mpg difference. I guess to be blunt, if you can't afford a few extra mpg you probably shouldn't be getting the bronco in the first place and should be looking at a hybrid, EV, or regular engine that gets good gas mileage.
I was thinking like you this guy talking about going with just a base with the 2.3 because he does not have a job and can't afford gas for a 2.7 and sas .

Firedude

Big Bend
First Name
TL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, F150, F250, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I'm cofused,

If you can't afford the gas, don't buy the Bronco, because you'll be selling it in a year or two.

And why would you consider the BD, when you could use the difference from the trim package to buy gas for 5 years.

I'm buying the Bronco for the style and where it will take me. After shelling out $40,000, fuel costs are an incidental expense.

imaginager

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
These kinds of posts always kinda make me flinch. However, I understand a lot of people have been waiting a long time (since 2016-2017), so the OP is possibly 5 years into this with the equivalent mental investment. It would be difficult for me to retool that dream, so I suspect the same for many others whose circumstances might have changed as the years have rolled by.

That said, I have to agree about fuel costs being incidental. I've seen some posts with armchair mathematics, calculating fuel costs against a variety annual mileage estimates and loan terms. At the end of the day, no one knows what gas is going to cost this fall, let alone in five, or more, years. I'd hate to see anyone get in over their head, it just causes more stress in the long run.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can buy a lot of gas for the $8000 difference between a manual base and the automatic Basesquatch. At 15,000 miles a year average, that's 3-4 years worth of fuel.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
cancel and buy a Maverick if MPG is an issue. I know the last thing I'm worrying about close to retirement is going in debt for a $40k vehicle.
Sponsored