Sponsored

Conventional Wisdom — Bronco Engines Are Detuned for Break-in — True or False?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Conventional wisdom circulating throughout the forum is that the Bronco engines are detuned during the break-in period (i.e., during the first 1,000 miles). Ever since test drives commenced weeks ago, I have read this claim dozens of times by different members, each of whom unquestioningly believe it to be true. Members who make this claim assume that the control units in the Bronco’s drive train are coded like those in a new sports car or a finely tuned exotic, which must be protected from user error until properly broken in. It’s a nice theory, but I’m not really sure it’s true, so I’d like to address it here. :unsure:

If anyone can provide proof that this claim is true, we can all move forward knowing the conventional wisdom is gospel. On the other hand, if anyone can shoot down this claim with evidence, then we can put this conventional wisdom to bed once and for all, and any future incantations can be refuted simply by referring back to this thread.

Honestly, I really don’t know whether it’s true or not, but I’d like to find out. 🤷‍♂️

So let the debate begin! 🧐
Sponsored

Last edited:

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh interesting, I was under the impression that it was mainly the 10R60 transmission 'adaptive learning' that might make the truck feel sluggish/rough shifting during the break in period.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have zero proof and researched nothing. Just an opinion.

I don't know why Ford would code a break in period tune for a 2.7 or 2.3 engine with turbo. It's not a power house exotic car.

For the people unhappy with the power it provides I hope it's true.... but I just don't see it.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure if the PCM is de tuned but it is set to “learn”. Ford sells vehicles that go to sea level up to +8000ft. Drivers drive differently and could move from Miami to Denver. The PCM takes all the sensor inputs and modifies the program for optimal performance.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't know why Ford would code a break in period tune for a 2.7 or 2.3 engine with turbo. It's not a power house exotic car.
No, but warranty repairs come out of Ford's pocket so I wouldn't blame them for building in a little safety. They'd probably have to disclose it in some way though, before a class action starts about "we pulled a brand new 2.7 out, put it on a dyno, and only got 270 crank hp, false advertising"

Sponsored

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have wondered the same thing. Does anyone have any proof of this at all? And some people have to have gone over 1000 miles in their Bronco by now.
I personally doubt it’s true. I think those that are expecting 330 HP to run 11 second quarter miles in 5000lb vehicles with massive tires are just going to need to adjust their expectations.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd say false! Multiple people on this forum have taken very low mileage broncos and hit the highway with them. I specifically remember one with 300 ish miles and another with 71.

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Detuned or not, I think the best thing people can do is manage their expectations and/or understand what they're truly buying.

I drove a 2.3 yesterday and I was more than satisfied. But that's my experience based of what I've driven and what I plan to do with it. I wouldn't fault for someone who doesn't feel the same way, but I genuinely get the feeling that some people's expectations are a bit unrealistic based on the offering.

There have to be a ton of Ecoboost owners on here. Has anyone noticed a performance bump in their F-150s after 1000 miles?
I haven't, if it does exist in some form I would expect it to be gradual.

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think we have our answer in "conventional wisdom" and doubling (tripling) down on that because it's internet based. Yep, proof, not speculation based on somebodies idea.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think we have our answer in "conventional wisdom" and doubling (tripling) down on that because it's internet based. Yep, proof, not speculation based on somebodies idea.
Agree. I can't find anything from ford, reviewers, etc that they're detuned for the first 1000 miles. I'm sure as heck someone would have posted that way before now, if it was true.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Agree. I can't find anything from ford, reviewers, etc that they're detuned for the first 1000 miles. I'm sure as heck someone would have posted that way before now, if it was true.
How about this conventional (or not) wisdom. I think Ford realizes that first impressions are very important. Why would they dumb down a first impression?

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m at like 550 miles and still driving my 2.3 like grandma, so not sure how it will feel at full throttle and can’t say whether it feels like it’s making the advertised power. I am using premium😩💰. But I pretty much never even spool up the turbo and the power is more than adequate for what I want in a 4x4. The crawler gear in the manual is awesome. I put it in C and just idled up a big hill on a fire road the other day. Top down, tunes on, just going 1 mph through the woods:) I’m really enjoying the 7-speed.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How about this conventional (or not) wisdom. I think Ford realizes that first impressions are very important. Why would they dumb down a first impression?
Answer is, they wouldn't!

The ONLY limiter I know of, on any vehicle I've owned or come across, is the Dodge Challenger ( car in my avatar ) Certain models come with line-lock and that function doesn't unlock until 500 miles. Other than that limiter, I had full access to all 485 HP as soon as I drove it off the lot.
Sponsored