Sponsored

Conventional Wisdom — Bronco Engines Are Detuned for Break-in — True or False?

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I agree and trying to understand this as well. So I’m moving now. I will have to now fly back to get my bronco whenever it does arrive. I will then make a 700+ mile journey back home, like many of these folks going 1000+ miles to/from Granger. I’ve seen comments about not speeding or braking aggressively etc etc etc. How do you buy a vehicle 700 to 1000 miles away from home and avoid these things to not-do during the first 1000 miles. You’re saying that since I’m hwy driving 1000 miles back home, my vehicle won’t respond or act normal when I get back home because it’s adapted to hwy driving? How so, specifically.. I’m very confused by this.
Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Good thread OP. Funny how a rumor gets started and then recirculated like it's gospel. My take is Ford would let it be known front and center if this was the case. Like first page of the manual front and center. They wouldn't want folks test driving engines that performed poorly without that disclaimer.

I think most folks are coming to the realization that it's still a 5000+ pound vehicle with large tires and a box design being pushed by a 4 or 6 cylinder....it's simply not going to be all that fast. We are starting to hear the "but" statements, like it's got turbo lag moving the weight from a dead start "but" it's good going from 40-70mph.

I think Ford and really any off-road vehicle of this weight should offer a naturally aspirated V8 or inline six diesel option but the emissions and mpg requirements killed that dream.

I'm sure it's moderately faster than the pentastar jeep, but sounds like overall it's not that much faster. Where is the TFL drag race, haha!

What's stinks is if you want that tune to pep up that performance....good luck long-term with the maxed out tranny.

I bet Ford offers options in short order though (next 2-3 years) with a hybrid/electric or Warthog offering to best jeeps 4xE, diesel and 392 offerings.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree and trying to understand this as well. So I’m moving now. I will have to now fly back to get my bronco whenever it does arrive. I will then make a 700+ mile journey back home, like many of these folks going 1000+ miles to/from Granger. I’ve seen comments about not speeding or braking aggressively etc etc etc. How do you buy a vehicle 700-1000 miles away from home and avoid these things to not-do during the first 1000 miles. You’re saying that since I’m hwy driving 1000 miles back home, my vehicle won’t respond or act normal when I get back home because it’s adapted to hwy driving? How so, specifically.. I’m very confused by this.
Why I never buy vehicles long distances away. I do tend to follow MFGR break in periods for the most part, but sometimes I get antsy and want to mash the pedal. I bought the car in my avatar 3 hours away from me and took non interstate routes on the way home. Top speed I was supposed to go was 70. I had it up to 80 a few times. :cool:

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why I never buy vehicles long distances away. I do tend to follow MFGR break in periods for the most part, but sometimes I get antsy and want to mash the pedal. I bought the car in my avatar 3 hours away from me and took non interstate routes on the way home. Top speed I was supposed to go was 70. I had it up to 80 a few times. :cool:
Well I wasn’t anticipating moving and I’ve never known about or paid any attention to break-in periods on my previous vehicles. My dealer is right around the corner from my current house. But now with moving, totally different ballgame.

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Given Ford has installed this engine and transmission already on a ridiculous number of vehicles, I’m pretty sure we would know by now if Ford intentionally detunes for the first 1k miles

unless this is the first time Ford is pairing the 2.7 with this transmission, then yes I suppose it would leave the door open for possibility

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What's stinks is if you want that tune to pep up that performance....good luck long-term with the maxed out tranny.
For what it's worth (10 cents with inflation!) I think the "maxed out tranny" is also unsubstantiated "conventional wisdom." The only technical documents I've seen have suggested that the 1060R has the same torque rating as the 1080R. Yes, there's a general naming convention, but it doesn't seem to be true across the board and I haven't seen evidence yet to prove it, only assumptions.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Answer is, they wouldn't!

The ONLY limiter I know of, on any vehicle I've owned or come across, is the Dodge Challenger ( car in my avatar ) Certain models come with line-lock and that function doesn't unlock until 500 miles. Other than that limiter, I had full access to all 485 HP as soon as I drove it off the lot.
The Trackhawk has something similar too. I don’t own one, but I know that it does. I think many performance vehicles do.

Whether this “break-in” period is true or not, I plan on driving “normally” for the first 1,000 km’s. Rather play it safe, and I’m sure the vehicle does learn your driving habits so flooring it all day long likely won’t benefit things.

Just my 2 cents, and just for my own peace of mind.

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would say that the more likely scenario is the type of fuel used in the Ecoboost causing performance variances (again I'm just speculating as well). My Infiniti drives like an absolute dog with 87 or even 89 octane compared to when I fill it up with 91 octane - granted it requires premium and the Ecoboosts don't. The Ecoboosts do sense the change in octane however and change performance parameters (or am I perpetuating internet rumors here as well? LOL!).

Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Conventional wisdom circulating throughout the forum is that the Bronco engines are detuned during the break-in period (i.e., during the first 1,000 miles). Ever since test drives commenced weeks ago, I have read this claim dozens of times by different members, each of whom unquestioningly believe it to be true. Members who make this claim assume that the control units in the Bronco’s drive train are coded like those in a new sports car or a finely tuned exotic, which must be protected from user error until properly broken in. It’s a nice theory, but I’m not really sure it’s true, so I’d like to address it here. :unsure:

If anyone can provide proof that this claim is true, we can all move forward knowing the conventional wisdom is gospel. On the other hand, if anyone can shoot down this claim with evidence, then we can put this conventional wisdom to bed once and for all, and any future incantations can be refuted simply by referring back to this thread.

Honestly, I really don’t know whether it’s true or not, but I’d like to find out. 🤷‍♂️

So let the debate begin! 🧐
according to Bronco Nation and the Ford manual ..there is a bit of computer manipulation for the break-in period

https://thebronconation.com/2021-ford-bronco-break-in-period/

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Trackhawk has something similar too. I don’t own one, but I know that it does. I think many performance vehicles do.

Whether this “break-in” period is true or not, I plan on driving “normally” for the first 1,000 km’s. Rather play it safe, and I’m sure the vehicle does learn your driving habits so flooring it all day long likely won’t benefit things.

Just my 2 cents, and just for my own peace of mind.
Probably right. I never owned or came across one, so I have no clue.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

according to Bronco Nation and the Ford manual ..there is a bit of computer manipulation for the break-in period

https://thebronconation.com/2021-ford-bronco-break-in-period/
Actually, neither of those documents say that explicitly. That’s just how you interpreted the text, which is a good example of how conventional wisdom develops and propagates.

For the record, this is exactly what those two source documents that you referenced say about the subject…

Bronco Nation article:

Ford Bronco Conventional Wisdom — Bronco Engines Are Detuned for Break-in — True or False? 2A69A071-69E1-4C55-9DAA-C66E2B34C558

Owner’s Manual:

Ford Bronco Conventional Wisdom — Bronco Engines Are Detuned for Break-in — True or False? C177FA77-80EA-4E96-B2FB-B73141F2C9B2
Sponsored