Sponsored

Conventional Wisdom — Bronco Engines Are Detuned for Break-in — True or False?

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok, it’s been a full day, had to work…I’m ready with my beer. What’s the verdict?

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

All of these descriptions about Broncos being slugs off the line remind me exactly how my mustang (man v8 not ecoboost) felt before I tuned it. I think Ford just down tunes vehicles to hit eco goals across the board. Easy fix though

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
All of these descriptions about Broncos being slugs off the line remind me exactly how my mustang (man v8 not ecoboost) felt before I tuned it. I think Ford just down tunes vehicles to hit eco goals across the board. Easy fix though
They are a slug until those the turbskis kick in. It feels like horrible turbo lag. From what I gathered it’s a safe tune. Aftermarket Tune is fully planned for mine.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you don't like Ford's shifting strategy then have 5Star tune your ecoboosts. They have tuned several for me and the shifting is good.
I thought this "new" processor (or code) was locked down like the new vette. Is there anyone tuning new vette's yet? (I've heard about piggybacks).

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

most new engines have a break in period, during which the rings are not sealed as tightly and the valves are not "hammered" in form opening and closing yet. the result is a engine which is not sealing completely and not running as efficiently. so the engine is not generating the same levels of power. i have found cars to get progressively better mileage up until they reach 10,000 miles when the engine is fully broken in... just some personal observations from life... nothing documented

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
False. Engines are broke in at the engine factory. Tranny doesn't need break in but does need time to learn your driving style.
Super Duty's have the power limited in first gear to save breaking drive shafts but it stays that way- you don't get more power later
The "bipolar" vehicle break-in instructions from my wife's 2020 Kia Soul":

"No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 600 miles you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle."

Manual lists after that some engine related items, such as avoid racing the engine, rpm recommendations and not maintaining a single speed for extended time.

As a guy who hangs onto vehicles a long time, I followed those recommendations. Don't know if Ford advises similar.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The "bipolar" vehicle break-in instructions from my wife's 2020 Kia Soul":

"No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 600 miles you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle."

Manual lists after that some engine related items, such as avoid racing the engine, rpm recommendations and not maintaining a single speed for extended time.

As a guy who hangs onto vehicles a long time, I followed those recommendations. Don't know if Ford advises similar.
More than likely left over verbiage from years gone by. I would bet that Kia's engines are also broke in at the factory. I can tell you that John Deere puts break in oil in their tractor engines and tells the customer to work it hard for the first few hours.
IF Ford's engines weren't broken in (kia as well) they would have break in oil in them from the factory

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a MUCH better solution. I orders the stick-shift.
It's too hard to drink coffee, play on my phone, read the paper and shift gears...... LOL

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

There is no break-in tune.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
More than likely left over verbiage from years gone by. I would bet that Kia's engines are also broke in at the factory. I can tell you that John Deere puts break in oil in their tractor engines and tells the customer to work it hard for the first few hours.
IF Ford's engines weren't broken in (kia as well) they would have break in oil in them from the factory
Yeah probably the traditional break-in from the past is no longer required. In fact I asked about special oil in the Kia, and needing to change out early, and was told no. But it seems like there might be some behavioral driving items, which might still give some benefit during the first months of ownership. So I'd be inclined to follow those if noted by the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is no break-in tune.
Awesome… I was waiting for you to join this discussion. ;)

Alright, time to spice things up in here… from a prior thread…

I build, tear down, and inspect engines for a living and as a hobby. engine break-in is a myth. Once it's up to operating temp. Drive it how you want to drive it. The engine is dyno tested at the assembly plant harder than 99.999% of people will ever drive it. It's "broken in" before the customer takes delivery
Well now from the person who just posted about their new Bronco says this...

“As far as 0-60 mph, drive mode characteristics, or other drivability questions, I am going to wait until the break in period is over. (1000 miles). I’m almost certain the Bronco is detuned from the factory until the break in period is complete to protect the drivetrain. My mustang was that way and I could feel it once the break in period was complete.”

So now I don’t know what to believe but that would explain the bad 0 to 60 from this Bronco 🤷‍♂️
And I can't wait to get mine and get some data to disprove those myths.
I know you have a lot to say about this, especially with your actual work experience, so I’m handing you the mic. Here is your opportunity to explain what you think is really going on here. 😎
Sponsored