First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My problem with the soft top is the side windows and the way the back lifts. It kinda looks like ass brand new so in a few years it will probably look like an old dirty pair of underwear over the back…lmao …mho
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since you say your Badlands comes standard with MIC, than means you have a 2-door on order. There is no soft top for the 2-door, so your question is moot unless you want change to a 4-door. Changing the number of doors and top to maybe get it a few months sooner seems a huge compromise to me, you would be paying an additional $2500 or so to get something you didn't want to begin with. So more doors, more cost, less roof, all that for maybe an earlier delivery? Seems a lot to me.

OP
OP

Bronco_813

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's tough, I feel like dual is the right answer, soft is the impatient one but will work for some. It's fantastic until it's not

1. You pass the winter requirement so that's good.
    1. Check.
  2. Is this your primary/only vehicle? If you encounter top issues do you have alternate options?
    1. Yes, this would be my primary/only vehicle. I work from home now permanently, and live in a very walkable/uber'able area so I don't really need to drive unless its for recreation.
  3. Do you have a garage or covered area? Assume yes but also see #6.
    1. Very secure garage. Lots of people have Jeep's with no top on just left that way.
  4. Do you trust the soft will hold up for 1-2y. Chances are the MIC is a year out or more (for general purchase) and it may be difficult to get another soft. You could be stuck without a top.
    1. No idea the average useless life of a top? I would hope it'd last 2 years, but this could be a poor assumption....
  5. Cost is not a concern. We have no verification of cost of MIC including freight. MIC may be 3-4K.
    1. Cost isn't really the concern.
  6. Is security a concern in the area or at night?
    1. Secure
  7. Do you need to be able to take calls without disruption/noise?
    1. Nope

DZ1

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150, 2014 Wrangler, 2005 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

To be honest I never even really considered the soft top before as the MIC was just standard with my trim: Badlands, 2.7L, Sas, Lux, Towing capability. 7/28/20 Reservation, no build date yet :(. With the continued delays and looking into it, I'm fairly certain I'm going to switch my build I just don't want to overlook anything., hence coming here.

As I see it going with the soft top will more than likely improve my chances of getting a 21' Bronco and fits better with my lifestyle. I live in FL, so I want maximum flexibility in terms of ease of removal of doors and top. I live by myself in a high rise apartment in the city, and after watching the video for the removal of the hard top 1) it doesn't seem possible as a solo job 2) I really don't have an easy way to store the back panels. So while I dream of driving this Bronco with the doors and roof off in reality with the hard top I'm guessing the back portion would more or less always be only unless I wanted to joy ride with a friend. Weather doesn't get cold here so I don't need the insulation. I figure I'll pick up more road noise, and am basically signing myself up for not having the option of having a hard top till say end of 23', but back to previous points it seems more limiting. I've never owned a Jeep/off-road vehicle before so just wondering what I may be overlooking?

Edit: "Convince" might have been a poor word choice, mea culpa. I'm just trying to understand why there is so much hate for soft tops, especially if you can get a hard top down the road.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Soft Top Removal:

Hard Top Removal:
My build is a 4 dr. Outer Banks AM blue with Sasquatch. Ordered May 11 2021, no vin and no build date yet. I just changed my order from the painted hard top to the soft top this morning. I currently own a 2005 Jeep LJ and a 2014 Unlimited both with soft tops. The 2014 has 33" mud tires and is surprisingly quiet on the road and the wind does not affect the soft top as it is very tight. My thoughts were that I'm not eligible for price protection and don't want wait around to see how much the 2023 Outer Banks will be and if I switch to the soft top I'll get it sooner with the option to purchase a hard top in 2023 or possibly an aftermarket hard top if they become available before the factory option. If I keep the hard top order I'm still waiting until 2023 for a hard top. Again, my thoughts.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like you're a match.

Sponsored

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I prefer to have both, but I am ok with just the soft top. I currently have 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with both the hard and soft top, and I found both tops works well in summer and winter seasons with some Seattle snow. Noise level is about the same as well. For the Jeep, the majority of wind noise came from the windshield.
I like convertibles, and never had any security incident that is due to having a soft top: (Miata NB, Porsche 997.1 C4S Cab, M235xi Cab, currently have a Miata ND2.
I like the hard top for: Glass Windows, Rear Window which open, Roof rack options
I like the soft top for: Easy to go top down. In a hot summer, it takes so much less time to cool off the inside cabin. Just drive with the top down for a few min, then the put the top back up if needed.
if you don't plan on driving it with the top down, then go hard top.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rag tops suck! Noisy, less secure, can't put anything above 'em, and they look terrible.

Now excuse me while I go order a soft top because the MIC isn't good either and I'm not waiting until 2023.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be honest I never even really considered the soft top before as the MIC was just standard with my trim: 4DR, Badlands, 2.7L, Sas, Lux, Towing capability. 7/28/20 Reservation, no build date yet :(. With the continued delays and looking into it, I'm fairly certain I'm going to switch my build I just don't want to overlook anything., hence coming here.

As I see it going with the soft top will more than likely improve my chances of getting a 21' Bronco and fits better with my lifestyle. I live in FL, so I want maximum flexibility in terms of ease of removal of doors and top. I live by myself in a high rise apartment in the city, and after watching the video for the removal of the hard top 1) it doesn't seem possible as a solo job 2) I really don't have an easy way to store the back panels. So while I dream of driving this Bronco with the doors and roof off in reality with the hard top I'm guessing the back portion would more or less always be only unless I wanted to joy ride with a friend. Weather doesn't get cold here so I don't need the insulation. I figure I'll pick up more road noise, and am basically signing myself up for not having the option of having a hard top till say end of 23', but back to previous points it seems more limiting. I've never owned a Jeep/off-road vehicle before so just wondering what I may be overlooking?

Edit: "Convince" might have been a poor word choice, mea culpa. I'm just trying to understand why there is so much hate for soft tops, especially if you can get a hard top down the road.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Soft Top Removal:

Hard Top Removal:
I suggest you get the 2dr. That way you don't have to worry about which roof to get. Stress free.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Soft top is just plain ugly. Slop top is more like it. But you should get one, it'll free up a hard top for those who know what they want. Regardless, a 7/28 reservation is most likely a MY22 despite what configuration you choose.

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw the soft top at a dealer demo and noticed two things.

1. With the top opened and pushed back, a fold of the fabric was pushed downward over the backseat which was hitting my head when sitting in the backseat. Maybe the fold can be dealt somehow - but this is how it was presented.

2. The rear section that can be lifted up has a small kickstand to hold it in place. When not using this little kickstand you place it into a small plastic clip just below the back window. This plastic clip seemed very weak and likely to break.

Sponsored

Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have always been a soft top advocate. I would get one if they had a 2dr soft top, but they don't. They are so much easier to operate and get the open air experience when ever you want and then be prepared for the afternoon rain storm. My old soft top held up great for years and years and was water tight. My rag top now has been the same way.

MaXberN

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Pacifica / Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I changed my order this morning as well. I'm not waiting until 2023 for the dual top group. I'll go with the Soft Top and complimentary hard top prep kit and purchase the painted black top when its available. Who knows maybe I'll even get a 2021 now. Yeah right!

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If it’s the four door version, you can. I’m getting the four door Badlands with soft top.
Ah yes, that 4dr would make the difference. Thanks Jacob.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I changed my order this morning as well. I'm not waiting until 2023 for the dual top group. I'll go with the Soft Top and complimentary hard top prep kit and purchase the painted black top when its available. Who knows maybe I'll even get a 2021 now. Yeah right!
I thought about doing this too, but now I'm too intrigued with the possible 2022 options and we aren't that far away from knowing what those are.

MaXberN

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Pacifica / Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought about doing this too, but now I'm too intrigued with the possible 2022 options and we aren't that far away from knowing what those are.
I'm right there with you. I changed my order but really doubt I'll see a 2021 with my Badlands, LUX, Tow, 2.7, sasquatch, late July reservation bronco. I'm looking forward to see what new colors, options and editions Ford comes out with for MY22.
Sponsored